Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

If you don't have any other computer, it's gotta be a Macbook, surely? I've only briefly ever touched an Ipad but I'm sure a tablet couldn't possibly fulfill 100% of a person's computing needs.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't have any other computer, it's gotta be a Macbook, surely? I've only briefly ever touched an Ipad but I'm sure a tablet couldn't possibly fulfill 100% of a person's computing needs.

Depends what a person's computing needs are, though. An iPad would be no good for me as a sole computer, but ShortOrder's one of those dirty bastards with a real life so it might be fine for him. For the price of an iPad (/half the price of a Macbook) you can buy a reasonable Windows laptop, though.

• Paid Members

I think im onto a loser with this, but will give it a shot.

A while back a friend of mine installed a partition on my laptop hard drive (apparently this means if i ever need to re-format, i can keep all of my data, or all of my programs without having to reinstall etc.

The problem is, the partition dosent seem to have been even enough and for the past few years i've been crippled by "Low disk space" messages and painfully slow performance.

Is there any way to right this, or indeed get restore my hard drive back to its original state? I still have about 20gb of free space, but my main hard drive is packed with programmes.

Any thoughts greatfully appreciated.

• Moderators

That all sounds a bit complicated to me. Here's a nice simple question - answer this instead, guys!

I spilt cereal on my rug, so attacked it with some carpet cleaner. It now feels all coarse in the spot where I cleaned it. Is there anything I can do to soften and fluff it up a bit?

• Paid Members

Outstanding, Saxonsqb.

Depends what a person's computing needs are, though. An iPad would be no good for me as a sole computer, but ShortOrder's one of those dirty bastards with a real life so it might be fine for him. For the price of an iPad (/half the price of a Macbook) you can buy a reasonable Windows laptop, though.

Yeah, I forgot that some people do things in their life without keyboards. But you're exactly right, for the price of an Ipad you could get something that could do far more. Sounds like he's got his heart set on Apple, though.

Outstanding, Saxonsqb.

Yeah, I forgot that some people do things in their life without keyboards. But you're exactly right, for the price of an Ipad you could get something that could do far more. Sounds like he's got his heart set on Apple, though.

The ipad is an awful nice piece of kit too, and more portable than a laptop (I imagine ShortOrderCook already sports a manbag when he's out and about so an additional laptop bag would be excessive). Could save a bit of money and get a decent Android tablet instead though, especially if he isn't too bothered about games and 1st party apple apps.

While were on the laptop subject, how easy is it to wipe all your data and files off it? I've had mine about 2 years now, and I have that much shit on it, its running ridiculously slow - programs, internet everything. I've copied all my music onto a USB so I've not lost everything, but now I just want to completely delete everything else on there.

Is there an easy way to do this?

What film or TV show has a scene where a gang of hoodlums (wearing balaclavas, I think) rape some rich fella's wife as she screams for him to help and he weakly offers them money (or maybe an expensive watch) to stop? I can't remember much about it other than it being rubbish, and I think they punched him in the stomach. They might have been anti-rich anarchists as well.

Archived