UFC 185: Pettis vs Dos Anjos

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

O8XcEjjlWGs.jpg

PPV MAIN CARD

Anthony Pettis vs Rafael Dos Anjos - Lightweight Title

Carla Esparza vs Joanna Jedrzejczyk - Strawweight Title

Johny Hendricks vs Matt Brown

Alistair Overeem vs Roy Nelson

Henry Cejudo vs Chris Cariaso

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Ross Pearson vs Sam Stout

Elias Theodorou vs Roger Narvaez

Daron Cruickshank vs Beneil Dariush

Jared Rosholt vs Josh Copeland

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Sergio Pettis vs Ryan Benoit

Jake Lindsey vs Joseph Duffy

Larissa Pacheco vs Germaine de Randamie

I love this card. It doesn't have that one huge fight like Jones vs Cormier or Silva vs Diaz but it's loaded with good shit. There's a bit of everything on this one, from the main card down to the Fight Pass prelims it's really solid.

924078_322496091282757_269537779_a.jpg

Pettis vs Dos Anjos is a cracker. Can't see any way it isn't a really good fight. Can't see Dos Anjos giving Pettis too much bother and Pettis will rightly come in as a big favourite, but don't be surprised if Dos Anjos makes a good fight of it. He's been one of the most underrated guys on the roster for years. He's really hit his best form over the last couple of years and he's only just starting to get the respect he's deserved for a while. Wins over Donald Cerrone, Benson Henderson and Nate Diaz over the last year and a half have left people no choice but to see him as a top level lightweight. He's an excellent fighter with very few weaknesses.

The problem is he's fighting what I truly believe is a once in a generation fighte

244_benson_henderson_vs_anthony_pettis.0

Anthony Pettis has the skills, technique, flashy style, marketability, backstory...he's basically got every ingredient to become one of the biggest stars in MMA history by the time his career is done. The only thing that seems like it could stop him is his unfortunate habit of getting injured. If he can stay healthy and put together a proper reign, I genuinely believe he could go on to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport, and certainly the best lightweight ever. He's that good. It was never more evident than in his last fight. The way he dealt with Gilbert Melendez was just amazing.

Pettis vs Dos Anjos promo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=-HMZezd5Dfw

My head says Pettis most likely finds a way to stop him within two or three rounds tops though. And that's not to say Dos Anjos is an easy guy to finish, Pettis is just that lethal. He's the lightweight Anderson Silva, hopefully minus the steroids.

10919739_1387853624852101_1148576851_n.j

Co-main event is Esparza vs Jedrzejczyk. About as clearly defined a grappler vs striker matchup as you'll see in 2015. This will be the first defence of the Strawweight title by Esparza since winning the TUF 20 tournament. I really like this fight. I've become a fan of Jedrzejczyk, her striking is probably the best in the division, and I can't stand Esparza so I'm really hoping JJ can pull this one off. But I'm expecting Esparza to shut her down and maybe submit her. Hope I'm wrong though.

1662000_632229780236079_634006900_a.jpg

Hendricks vs Brown is one of those fights you just know is going to be wild. Hendricks could probably make this a much easier and less risky fight if he just goes into straight wrestling mode, because I seriously doubt Brown could cope with that. But Hendricks loves to trade strikes. Hendricks should win this. He's dangerous on the feet but he's also got the option of wrestling to fall back on if the striking is going against him. Saying that, Brown has a very active guard. It's a fight I see being action packed wherever it goes. Might be the show stealer.

10914294_761703790580497_367374859_a.jpg

When a fight like Overeem vs Nelson is the second fight on the PPV you know it's a good card. Kind of a weird booking really, timing-wise. Overeem is coming off a quick TKO win over Stefan Struve, Nelson is coming off a brutal KO loss to Mark Hunt. Still, it's a fun fight all the same. I'd be surprised if it doesn't end by stoppage either way, but you never know. Complete tossup for me. Overeem should win but how many times have we said that before only to see him get laid out?

Rounding out the PPV is Cejudo vs Cariaso. Hopefully Cejudo actually makes weight because flyweight could do with a shot in the arm and he has potential to be just that.

CejudoMedal-210x300.jpg

He's the first Olympic gold medalist to compete in the UFC since Mark Schultz all the way back in 1996. He's the first gold medalist full-stop to compete in the UFC under Zuffa's ownership. Cariaso is a tough test but if Cejudo is going to make any waves at flyweight, he should be winning this. So this fight should give us an idea where he stands.

Prelims are pretty good as well.

Pearson vs Stout sounds like a FOTN contender on paper. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully Pearson can rebound from the loss to Al Iaquinta.

Cruickshank vs Dariush is a fight I like the sound of. Cruickshank is like something out of a Jackie Chan fight scene, Dariush is much more basic but tough as fuck and has some solid grappling. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

I wish the Sergio Pettis and Joseph Duffy fights were on the FOX Sports bit instead of Fight Pass. I'd much rather see either of those fights than the Rosholt one. Hopefully there'll be a few quick fights and they'll squeeze them in.

Great card, I reckon.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bloody hell. I had no idea this card was so stacked (and, yes, I'm aware that can change).

Pettis is the type that if he was to force his dick in my mouth, I'd probably make a grab for the balls too. Who's to know?! Anyway, the main event has the makings of something really special.

A shame 184 fell apart, but this more than makes up for it. Has the makings of the best event this year.

Overeem and Hendricks failing will make me very happy.

• Paid Members

I think we will actually see an Overeem destruction of Nelson actually. Not necessarily standing, but I think Overeem will take Nelson down in the fashion he did Struve and smash Nelson's face in.

On a side note, i'm praying that Cejudo makes 125.

• Paid Members

I think my desperation for challengers in the heavyweight division is clouding my judgement of Overeem, but I still want to see him fight for the title knowing what the guy is actually capable of.

I think my desperation for challengers in the heavyweight division is clouding my judgement of Overeem, but I still want to see him fight for the title knowing what the guy is actually capable of.

I was just about to post that. A Nelson win does absolutely fuck all for me as far as the division goes.

• Paid Members

I get what you mean, lamby. As loathsome as Overeem is and as fun as his decline has been post-PED bust, I still would like to see him show some of his potential in UFC. If only to add more quality into the heavyweight division.

Since JDS III, I think Mark Hunt has been the only bloke that's added a bit of dynamism to a division that is lacking a bit in characters. It, of course, hurts that the champion can't put on his gloves without physically breaking down.

I get what you mean, lamby. As loathsome as Overeem is and as fun as his decline has been post-PED bust, I still would like to see him show some of his potential in UFC. If only to add more quality into the heavyweight division.

Since JDS III, I think Mark Hunt has been the only bloke that's added a bit of dynamism to a division that is lacking a bit in characters. It, of course, hurts that the champion can't put on his gloves without physically breaking down.

Has he really declined since he got busted though? I think it really does come down to who he's matched with rather than any spike in ability he benefited from due to possible drug use.

He fails against a certain type of opponent, and always has really. If someone can weather that early storm he falls away. Simple as that.

• Paid Members

I was on about the decline of his reputation/career. He went from future championship contender to Dana White looking to cut him. However, I think any fighter that has spent years using PEDs will suffer some sort of handicap without the power they can bring, seeing as that's the point in cheating with them.

Archived