The Preston City Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

has the springslam weekender been confirmed yet ?

i know they teased it with the kingdom but wasn't sure

hope it is true because its just before when i'll be neck deep in dissertation so would be nice for a weekend away from it first

It has definitely been confirmed, but no tickets on sale as of yet.

KEVIN NASH confirmed - it's on April 24/25 & is being called Supershow 5 weeekend, too. Edited by gadge

Just wondered if anybody had a full list of the blu ray releases.

I have cobbled together a list but need to know a couple of things

What was the name of show/Blu ray 22 ?  Was it Festive Fury 2013?

Which is 26 and which is 27?

Supershow 4
Tribute To The Troops

• Paid Members

Hey!  It’s that Prest... oh, no, wait, that’s someone else’s gimmick.

Saddled between November’s ‘Supershow of Honor’ weekender and March’s star-studded ‘Road to Glory’ tournament, ‘Shooting Star’ was going to be a special show for two reasons.

Firstly, and most obviously, this was a benefit show for the ‘Shooting Star’ himself Kris Travis, PCW’s favourite son who has been unable to work while fighting stomach cancer.  It has been said many a time that PCW is Trav’s House, and between bouts with Lionheart, Chris Masters, Kevin Steen, Prince Devitt, Mark Andrews and more he has featured in some of the promotion’s greatest matches.  This was therefore a night of appreciation and early indications are that the event raised around £15,000 for the cause.

Secondly, due to the sheer variety of performers that chose to donate their time to appear on the show, this was one of the most diverse and interesting line-ups ever seen on a PCW card.  Now, part of this organisation’s appeal is that there is a regular cast of familiar recurring characters that the loyal audience knows and reacts to as stars.  However, that doesn’t negate the need to bring in some new talent every now and then to keep things fresh, and to present brand new match-ups.  The night therefore additionally had the feel of a showcase/exhibition card, with plenty of new names being put in the ‘shop window’ in front of the core PCW fans.    Some (like The Hooligans, Stixx, Joseph Connors, Flash Morgan Webster and Ryan Smile and Josh Bodom) had never been to PCW before.  Others (such as the Hunter Brothers, Tyler Bate and Ashton Smith) had only been in for the odd appearance.  Some more (such as Marty Scurll, Andy Wild and Ruffneck) hadn’t been seen in PCW for years.  Who would the fans react to?  Who would fans treat as stars?  Who would the audience want to see brought back?  While everyone really came here to do something for Kris Travis, this was a great opportunity for PCW to test fresh names who could potentially be added to their regular crew if they went down well with this audience.

So, after the usual pre-show drinks n’ eats meet-up (including UKFF member Windoesnot making a hugely impressive second effort at taking down the 18 inch ‘BIG DOG’ in Fisher’s), it was time for the first visit of 2015 to the familiar surroundings of Evoque nightclub.  Chris Brooker being booed when he came out to do his usual pre-show spiel was oddly amusing.  I can only guess some people didn’t think much of his post-show stand-up routine at the last event.  Also, no Joanna Rose as ring announcer on this occasion – she was apparently at ROH in the US (and was also rumoured to have been spotted appearing as a ‘Rose Bud’ on Sunday’s WWE ‘Royal Rumble’ PPV).  MC duties therefore fell to her more-than-able predecessor Richard Parker.

Like so many PCW shows, the night got underway with the signature multi-way opener, this time El Ligero vs. Noam Dar vs. Joey Hayes vs. Dean Allmark vs. Ashton Smith vs. Josh Bodom.  So weird that Noam Dar is simply just a good guy again.  This was a pleasing non-stop parade of action, with all 6 being given the chance to look good.  The fast pace was there right from the start, and fell into a formula of each guy taking it in turns to come in and do something cool, before being taken out by the next.  Bodom looked like he had Ligero beat, but Hayes pulled him off the pin and instead locked the ‘Mexican Sensation’ in the crossface for the win.  As Joey moaned afterwards about wanting his belt back, a ‘Bionic Man’-style Lionheart comeback video played on the big screens, leading to the man himself coming out to give Hayes the Rock Bottom again to a big reaction.  Lionheart looked great and has his comeback match next show against Hayes in the opening round of the ‘Road to Glory’ tournament.

Being two strangers to the majority of the PCW faithful, the crowd started quiet for Stixx vs. Joseph Connors.  When they did get involved, it was initially more to heckle Stixx (his mohawk and chains making him a “Shit Mr. T”, then leading to a mass singing of the A-Team theme song) than reacting to Connors.  Still, the action was solid and they put together a strong match that gradually drew people in and won them over.  By the end, the crowd was well into it, completely behind Joe and reacting to all the action.  Connors took the victory with a sunset-like cradle coming out of the corner.  Both looked really good here and would be more than welcome back, as evidenced by the strong applause.

Doug Williams & Andy Wild vs. Kid Fite & CJ Banks was a perfect example of how brilliantly random the nature of this night could be.  I mean, when else would you ever see this line-up?  I’ve not seen Wild for a good while, and he’s put on some timber, hasn’t he?  In the same way as Danny Garnell in the south-east, he’s literally twice the man he used to be (with that said, I do understand he was out injured for a while).  The match itself was a decent, solid affair.  The good guys got the win when Williams hit the Chaos Theory rolling German suplex on CJ.

Next up was a 12-person Battle Royal, featuring a plethora of names, some familiar to PCW, some not.  “This Guy” Sam Wilder was in for his first PCW appearance since last year’s 30-man rumble, as was north-west rumble staple Mothman.  Ashton Smith was in pulling double-duty.  Ruffneck and Sam Bailey were back for the first time in years.  The Big Dog Rainz (not to be confused with Windoesnot’s earlier lunch), Scottish female wrestler Viper and FutureShock regular Ryan Hendricks made their debuts.  They were all joined by regulars Dave Rayne, Dave Mastiff and Charlie Garrett, and Keith Myatt as his ‘Deirdre Barlow’ alter-ego, setting up MC Richard Parker the killer line “FOR THE SECOND TIME THIS WEEK, DEIRDRE BARLOW HAS BEEN ELIMINATED!!”.  Myatt then shed the cross-dressing gimmick for an MOB reunion beer bath with Ruffneck outside the ring.  Viper put in a big showing, becoming the crowd favourite and eliminating several dudes to seemingly set up a showdown with Mastiff as the final two.  Mastiff dumped Viper... BUT WAIT!!  Dave Rayne, whose rumble survival tactics have become a trademark of his PCW character, had not been eliminated and emerged from under the ring looking for the sneak win....!!.... only to be eliminated almost immediately as Mastiff officially took the honours.  There wasn’t much to this, but it was heaps of fun.  It was clear Viper made herself a star to this crowd here.

After the interval (where you could get an in-ring photo with ALL FORTY or so wrestlers on the show), we had Mark Andrews, Pete Dunne, Flash Morgan Webster & Damian Dunne vs. Ryan Smile, Tyler Bate & Jim & Lee Hunter.  Remember when US indie promotion Chikara used to go around putting on their trademark 6, 8 or 10-man tag speciality as a guest match on other shows (CZW, PWG and IWA Mid-South spring to mind)?  Well, this was pretty much the DEFEND/ATTACK! version of that.  They all know each other so well from working so often against each other in ATTACK!, Kamikaze, Kingdom, Triple-X, Chaos, SWA, Fight Club, Great Bear and the like that they really have this down.  They should take this everywhere.  Do trios versions.  Do 3-ways.  Change-up the teams.  Cycle-in guys like Eddie Dennis and Chris Brookes.  Make it a touring attraction to look out for and look forward to.  Anyway, this was really just a breathless display of dazzling high-spots, dives and big moves, and afterwards you couldn’t remember everything you’d just seen, but it was spectacular, it flowed effortlessly, it was super-exciting and it tore the house down.  All the ridiculous craziness came to an end with victory for Mandrews’ team.

Ironically for match featuring so many of their regular talent, it was during the last match that word began to filter through to me that Sunday’s Triple-X Wrestling event in Coventry had been cancelled due to the venue letting them down.  Well, that really threw my weekend into chaos, as I now had to find out if my hotel could be cancelled (it couldn’t), if my train tickets could be refunded (they couldn’t) or if there were any other shows or activities in that vicinity that day that I could go to instead (there wasn’t).

Despite this distraction for me, Bubblegum vs. Marty Scurll was a terrific match.  As much as Bubblegum excels at playing the cowardly, hopelessly-outmatched chickenshit heel, he’s had some belting singles performances over the last year, including the 3-ways with Andrews, Travis and Austin Aries, and his main event against Brian Kendrick.  This was another cracker.    Scurll didn’t exactly win PCW fans over in his previous appearance here several years ago, but since then I’ve seen him perfecting his character in Dragon Gate, RevPro, Tidal, NGW and others and it’s safe to say he left a completely different impression this time.  Despite being baddie against baddie, they gelled really well and the match just worked.  It was smooth, slick action that kept you guessing as they went back-and-forth.  Bubblegum retained the Cruiserweight belt using a handful of tights on the roll-up, but Marty arrived on a lot of PCW fans’ radars here.

Perhaps the most anticipated match on the show for many was Team Single (Rampage Brown & T-Bone) vs. UK Hooligans (Roy & Zak, with Ricky).  Ricky Knight’s pre-match mic work whipped the crowd up into a frenzy, then when Team Single came out the FIGHT WAS ON!!  It was hard, it was heavy, and it didn’t let up.  A super match, this was heated and intense with a red-hot atmosphere and big reactions for everything they did.  With no team able to establish a clear advantage or superiority over the other, they ended up fighting to a double-countout.  BOOOOO!  The non-finish came as a disappointment, but if it’s being done to set up a rematch or series then I’m all for it.  I’ve seen the 3 Knights loads over the last decade, mostly to the earlier end of that timeframe, but this (aside from a crap angle on the last RevPro York Hall show) was actually the first time I’d seen them doing their Hooligans act.  They are perfect opponents for Rampage & T-Bone: equally brash, intimidating, direct and unforgiving.  They went down a storm here.  While Rampage & T-Bone are excellent (in my eyes the best tag team act in the country) and hugely over with this audience, PCW’s tag division has desperately needed a bit of direction and purpose rather than it just being Team Single vs. the latest guest tag team.  If the Hooligans are being brought in as a regular thing (and I note they’ve already been announced for at least one upcoming show) then this can only be good.

The main event spot on this special night went to Chris Masters, who had that famous trilogy of matches with Kris Travis upon arrival in PCW, against Martin Kirby, well known for being Trav’s close friend and regular partner in other promotions across the land.  Given the three matches preceding it, the more controlled, deliberate style of this one came over much more subdued in comparison, but that’s not to say it wasn’t a well-worked, solid bout and they built well.  Masters is still getting all the “DICKHEAD!!” stuff that has followed him since his October heel turn, which made for good heat, while Kirby was effectively and literally fighting in the place of Trav.  Ahead of his big title rematch next show, the American got the win when Kirby passed out to the Masterlock.  Revelling in his as top antagonist in the outfit, Masters refused to break the hold after the bell, until Kris Travis himself came out for the save with a steel chair, allowing him to thank everyone for coming and allowing the audience to shower him with appreciation.

So, that was PCW’s kick-off to the new year and it was all good.  Not a bad match in sight, with several very good ones, and the usual PCW fun atmosphere.  Plenty of new names making a good impression on PCW fans, who would be able to come back with increased recognition and familiarity now, as well as some good direction built for future matches over the coming months.

It’s about a 7-week wait until the next set of PCW shows, but they are looking the bollocks.  There’s the 16-man, 3-show ‘Road to Glory’ tournament itself, there’s Lionheart’s return to the ring from his broken neck and there’s Alberto Del Rio, Matt Hardy, John Morrison and Eugene (oo, and Justin Gabriel - that was quick).  There is also (in storyline terms, at least) the biggest singles match PCW has ever presented in the Uhaa Nation vs. Chris Masters ‘loser leaves PCW’ title match.  As I’ve said before, being the smartarses we are we all think we know what’s going to happen there, but do we really?  Do we really know exactly when certain rumoured moves are going to eventually take place?  It’s not as if PCW doesn’t like to drop the odd surprise, after all.  That match is going to be simply massive, with everything on the line between two of the biggest guys they’ve been building up for more than a year – the hottest good guy versus the hottest bad guy.

I can’t wait.

Really enjoyed the show. My first one for a long time because circumstances.

Hooligans vs Team Single was epic as was pretty much everything else as per Benny, including the INSANE Hot Dog. Viper has been announced for the Mania show, which is good :)

• Paid Members

Full (sort of) first round 'Road to Glory' tournament line-up confirmed:

PJ Black (Justin Gabriel) vs. El Ligero

John Morrison vs. Will Ospreay

Alberto El Patron vs. T-Bone

Matt Hardy vs. Rampage Brown

Lionheart vs. Joey Hayes

Dave Mastiff vs. Sha Samuels

Bubblegum vs. Ashton Smith

Martin Kirby vs. surprise entrant, to be revealed on the night by the new General Manager (who also hasn't yet been revealed...)

Haven't seen the tournament bracket yet to know how it all fits together and begin speculation on quarter-finals, semi-finals, finalists and winner, but that's some line-up.  Great to see Ashton back, as his singles matches over in GPW during 2014 were superb.  Good to see Sha 'Fat Cantona' Samuels still part of plans after his couple of shots here last year - he's a great fit.  Noam Dar and Dave Rayne conspicuous by their absence.

My pick this early: Dave Mastiff goes one better and wins the whole thing.

Full (sort of) first round 'Road to Glory' tournament line-up confirmed:

PJ Black (Justin Gabriel) vs. El Ligero

John Morrison vs. Will Ospreay

Alberto El Patron vs. T-Bone

Matt Hardy vs. Rampage Brown

Lionheart vs. Joey Hayes

Dave Mastiff vs. Sha Samuels

Bubblegum vs. Ashton Smith

Martin Kirby vs. surprise entrant, to be revealed on the night by the new General Manager (who also hasn't yet been revealed...)

Haven't seen the tournament bracket yet to know how it all fits together and begin speculation on quarter-finals, semi-finals, finalists and winner, but that's some line-up.  Great to see Ashton back, as his singles matches over in GPW during 2014 were superb.  Good to see Sha 'Fat Cantona' Samuels still part of plans after his couple of shots here last year - he's a great fit.  Noam Dar and Dave Rayne conspicuous by their absence.

My pick this early: Dave Mastiff goes one better and wins the whole thing.

That is probably the best one night PCW card, on paper, that I have ever seen. Amazing potential for some of them matches.

My pick is Lionheart to win the tournament, and face Masters for the title at the 4th Anniversary show in August. A title that Lionheart never lost in the ring, and was forced to vacate after his broken neck injury. Would make for a good story and tie everything up neatly.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

My pick is Lionheart to win the tournament, and face Masters for the title at the 4th Anniversary show in August. A title that Lionheart never lost in the ring, and was forced to vacate after his broken neck injury. Would make for a good story and tie everything up neatly.

Mastiff for me. He got a mad pop at the ROH show when he came down to make Masters/Uhaa a three-way, and is the logical choice for me to take down Dickhead and put the belt back in British hands. He owes Masters one. Although Lionheart getting the belt back WOULD be a great story, I think winning RTG first weekend back is a step too far. Valiant beaten finalist. Beaten by Dave.