Chris Benoit dead

Scorpion_Deathlock

• Paid Members

This post is a bit late and I haven't really got anything more to add than what's already been said/discussed. I honestly cannot get my head around what's happened and find myself sitting watching TV and my mind wanders onto Chris, Nancy and Daniel. I'm still pretty much shell-shocked by it and that Chris could do such a thing. Every day I'm hoping to wake up and look on the internet to find it's all been a big mistake which I know is never going to happen. The thought of what Chris did to his wife and son makes me feel physically sick and I'm absolutely torn because I can't bring myself to hate him. I don't know how to feel at all!

• Paid Members
  • Paid Members

Yeah it was a good read, it certainly made clear that all of wrestlings problems don't lie at WWE's feet, however what it didn't point out is that it would be unfair to like 74 of those deaths to Pro-Wrestling. That's not including people who commited suicide or died of aneurysm and other such brain related problems. I did however, include Mike Awesome since he'd already left the business and made a new life for himself.

• Paid Members

With the part-timers, I don't think you can really make any analysis as there's such a varying degree of involvement in the business.With the full-timers, it's not clear-cut because (unlike, say, motor racing drivers crashing) wrestling is more likely to contribute rather than directly cause a death. There are very few cases where you can directly state that wrestling was directly to blame for a death, but similarly there are very few cases where you can say it definitely played no role whatsoever. Originally the piece was going to break it down that way, and it was simply impossible to say.On one hand, you can take pretty much any of the heart attack or overdose deaths and say that they could well have happened even had the guy never wrestled. But on the other hand, you can take some of the purely accidental deaths like the crashes of Brady Boone or Adrian Adonis and point out that they were much more at risk of a crash because they drove far more often, far longer and late at night.

• Paid Members

With the part-timers, I don't think you can really make any analysis as there's such a varying degree of involvement in the business.With the full-timers, it's not clear-cut because (unlike, say, motor racing drivers crashing) wrestling is more likely to contribute rather than directly cause a death. There are very few cases where you can directly state that wrestling was directly to blame for a death, but similarly there are very few cases where you can say it definitely played no role whatsoever. Originally the piece was going to break it down that way, and it was simply impossible to say.On one hand, you can take pretty much any of the heart attack or overdose deaths and say that they could well have happened even had the guy never wrestled. But on the other hand, you can take some of the purely accidental deaths like the crashes of Brady Boone or Adrian Adonis and point out that they were much more at risk of a crash because they drove far more often, far longer and late at night.

With the heart attack victims I'm sure it could be argued that it may have happened anyway, but there is at least enough evidence to say their lifestyle played a prominant role. A car accident can happen anywhere at any time regardless of your job so to create in link to pro-wrestling as really clutching at straws and grossly unfair to the profession. there's also a lot of unknown causes, which again you can't link to pro-wrestling because you have no idea what it was.My feeling is that it was a very good article but would have been much more balanced had it pointed out the difference rather than give the uninformed the impression that wrestling is responsible for all these deaths.

Just thought I'd wade in and say I actually support kayfabesmonkey in this little debate that's been going on. Though condescending and arrogant at times, I'm sorry to say that it is INTENSELY hypocritical to constantly whine and moan about how desperately things need to change.... then on to watch the show as it stands.Why should Vince change? Nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, will make his fan base turn off. Guerrero didn't do it, despite that whole thing being one of the most hideous and grotesque things ever, Benoit's death won't do it...It is hypocritical. There's no two ways about it. I turned off, and I won't turn back on. The argument that 'well what difference does it make' is the lamest justification imaginable. If more people turned off, Vince would fucking notice. If everyone takes the attitude that it makes no difference, then Vince will just carry on laughing to the bank while doing whatever the hell he likes, irrespective of how degrading, insulting and stupid his latest insane idea happens to be.

• Paid Members

A car accident can happen anywhere at any time regardless of your job so to create in link to pro-wrestling as really clutching at straws and grossly unfair to the profession.

I disagree. Yes, a car accident can happen any time BUT somebody who regularly drives very long distances in the early hours of the morning (literally thousands of miles a week in the territory days, usually requiring very high speed) is much more likely to have a crash than somebody who drives a couple of miles to and from work in rush hour traffic.

• Paid Members

A car accident can happen anywhere at any time regardless of your job so to create in link to pro-wrestling as really clutching at straws and grossly unfair to the profession.

I disagree. Yes, a car accident can happen any time BUT somebody who regularly drives very long distances in the early hours of the morning (literally thousands of miles a week in the territory days, usually requiring very high speed) is much more likely to have a crash than somebody who drives a couple of miles to and from work in rush hour traffic.
So you've established a link (assuming those accidents happened to or from something wrestling related) but are you seriously suggesting that wrestling is therefore to blame or responsible for those accidents?