Chris Benoit dead

Scorpion_Deathlock

Didn't see this posted in here but an update on Doctor Astin and the possible implications of this - http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/h...t.asp?aID=20061This bit in particular stood out:

The announcement that Benoit passed his 4/10 steroid test, even if he did, is one that can't hold up to public opinion with the revelation in this indictment, because it covers a period well into the Wellness policy. A key point of this is unlike with Balco, where they were using designer drugs that could beat the tests, Astin was prescribing Benoit regular steroids, so either the testing is incredibly flawed, Benoit had a way to easily beat the tests, or the tests themselves were a sham. I strongly believe the latter is not the case, but I also believe the latter will be the conclusion most will come to. This is the first time when I truly fear that wrestling as we know it not only will be undergoing great changes, but that as bad as Vince McMahon's reputation is in some circles, and even with his history of rebounding from negatives, this will tarnish it to a level that he may never live to fully turn around. There will be a far increased number of cries in the media over the next week, which have already started, to do something about the industry. Between the advertisers, sponsors, and those action figures with the muscular physiques, this is not a story going away soon.

Credit: wrestlingobserver.com
There is a silver light. If your Jerichos/Styles/Mysterios stop juicing then they'll be able to focus on having great matches again without the need to worry about them looking like the bigger guys.

I wanted to post this, purely due to how suprised I was:I heard something this morning, on the train, which upset me. There was a group of blokes talking, and I heard one comment "Do(ing) a Chris Benoit", which was followed by some sort of choking action.That was something I never expected to hear, and frankly a little disappointed to hear that.

[News Update] Benoit's Doctor Denies Prescribing Steroids From ajc.com:This afternoon, Astin's lawyer Manny Arora said his client was innocent of the charges and denied Astin ever prescribed steroids to Chris Benoit, who was his patient and friend for six years.Arora told reporters outside the Russell Federal Building downtown that Arora also insisted that the case against Astin has nothing to do with Benoit's death last week."There's no connection and the indictments don't have a connection," Arora said.Arora said he considers the case strictly a medical one and one that has become overblown because of the circumstances surrounding the Benoit deaths.Astin, Arora said, is taking what's happened hard."He cares about the family," Arora added. "He's distraught and now he's been accused of somehow being involved in their deaths."He predicted the doctor would be free by early evening, after the judge reviews the case and receives confirmation that the undisclosed location where he will be confined is properly set up for electronic monitoring.

I wanted to post this, purely due to how suprised I was:I heard something this morning, on the train, which upset me. There was a group of blokes talking, and I heard one comment "Do(ing) a Chris Benoit", which was followed by some sort of choking action.That was something I never expected to hear, and frankly a little disappointed to hear that.

Until all this happened I would quite happily threaten my 2 eldest kids and my mrs with death in a jokey way. Like 'Clean your room up or I am gonna murderise you' etc. Now I find myself stopping mid sentence and feeling a bit ashamed.As for the jokes, I am hardly suprised, it took about a day after the Lockerbie crash before the jokes, the Ken Biggley jokes were going round work before he even copped it. As soon as Ian Huntley was arrested they were coming out fast, Chinese cockle picking jokes the lot.

Until all this happened I would quite happily threaten my 2 eldest kids and my mrs with death in a jokey way. Like 'Clean your room up or I am gonna murderise you' etc. Now I find myself stopping mid sentence and feeling a bit ashamed.

And so you should.You can save yourself a lot of time and energy by just brandishing a cord in a menacing fashion.

Ok let me ask you a different one, well the same but phrased differently. A. Do you believe wrestling is too blame for the death of eddy Guerrero and a host of other wrestlers. (If you're one of the guys on here who doesn't, fair enough)B. If the answer is yes, do you not feel you have to take some of the responsibility as you have continued to support the product despite this, knowing that the combined support of you and many others is the reason the practices you believe killed these men still occur?

Your question is absurdly reductionist, but since you think you're being so insightful I'll - against my better judgement - humour you.A. Largely, yes, allowing for arguable predispositions to addiction.B. No. Not in the sense that you're trying to apportion blame on fans merely for watching, and trying to imply a deep hypocrisy in all of us for caring while not switching off something we love. Arguing that the machine may be fucked up, but the fans are a part of that machine so they should take responsibility - I don't think even Vince McMahon at his most irrationally defensive would offer that as an argument. I will, in all likelihood, always watch wrestling - WWE in particular - because I love it. I will watch it if steroids are eliminated completely and we are left with smaller, more natural-looking performers. I will watch it if it continues to be riddled with steroids, although I will continue to worry about the wrestlers like I worried about Eddie Guerrero - who I'd been a fan of since 1993 - ever since he stepped out on Nitro in 1998 looking far too big for his frame. And yeah, I'll continue to complain on my little message board because I don't believe it's my responsibility to switch off something I love in order to save lives, it's the responsibility of Vince McMahon and his staff to try and undo some of the damage we are seeing from the system he has perpetuated.I can confidently say I didn't get into it because of the physiques, but even if I had, your argument that just by watching I endorsed a system of steroid abuse is piss-weak at best.
But you're supporting something which, when asked if it kills wrestlers you said "Largely ,yes, for arguable predispositions to addiction."Now by watching and supporting, you are part of the problem - as if everyone stopped (as kenny rightly pointed out) watching, the problem would go away.So it's a big problem, but not big enough for you to go without your monday night raw.Ah ok then, see before that I thought it was wildly hypocritical - now you've shown me the error of my ways :thumbsup:

Ok let me ask you a different one, well the same but phrased differently. A. Do you believe wrestling is too blame for the death of eddy Guerrero and a host of other wrestlers. (If you're one of the guys on here who doesn't, fair enough)B. If the answer is yes, do you not feel you have to take some of the responsibility as you have continued to support the product despite this, knowing that the combined support of you and many others is the reason the practices you believe killed these men still occur?

Your question is absurdly reductionist, but since you think you're being so insightful I'll - against my better judgement - humour you.A. Largely, yes, allowing for arguable predispositions to addiction.B. No. Not in the sense that you're trying to apportion blame on fans merely for watching, and trying to imply a deep hypocrisy in all of us for caring while not switching off something we love. Arguing that the machine may be fucked up, but the fans are a part of that machine so they should take responsibility - I don't think even Vince McMahon at his most irrationally defensive would offer that as an argument. I will, in all likelihood, always watch wrestling - WWE in particular - because I love it. I will watch it if steroids are eliminated completely and we are left with smaller, more natural-looking performers. I will watch it if it continues to be riddled with steroids, although I will continue to worry about the wrestlers like I worried about Eddie Guerrero - who I'd been a fan of since 1993 - ever since he stepped out on Nitro in 1998 looking far too big for his frame. And yeah, I'll continue to complain on my little message board because I don't believe it's my responsibility to switch off something I love in order to save lives, it's the responsibility of Vince McMahon and his staff to try and undo some of the damage we are seeing from the system he has perpetuated.I can confidently say I didn't get into it because of the physiques, but even if I had, your argument that just by watching I endorsed a system of steroid abuse is piss-weak at best.
But you're supporting something which, when asked if it kills wrestlers you said "Largely ,yes, for arguable predispositions to addiction."Now by watching and supporting, you are part of the problem - as if everyone stopped (as kenny rightly pointed out) watching, the problem would go away.So it's a big problem, but not big enough for you to go without your monday night raw.Ah ok then, see before that I thought it was wildly hypocritical - now you've shown me the error of my ways :thumbsup:
I hate to lower the tone, but fuck off.

• Paid Members

Not good, he openly said the testing was a ruse (He made that one perfectly clear), and the roids are pretty much common in pro wrestling.On The Record straight after is covering it.

Obviously he would know, having last been involved with wrestling what, eight years ago? And last in the WWF more than 10 years ago? And having been a victim of the previous testing regime, hailed at the time as one of the best and strictest in all of sports?Don't get me wrong, I know that plenty of things need to change. But wrestlers with axes to grind or jobs to protect/gain are the worst people to put on these shows. News people who would spot spin a mile off from a politician are either too easily "worked" by wrestlers or are just too ignorant about the realities of the business to question anything anyone says.

I hate to lower the tone, but fuck off.
Lol ah we've decided to try and ignore the less convenient truths, totally understandable old boy, but do bear in mind your moral outrage will be somewhat deminished by supporting that you claim to be so distressed by.And how can one lower the tone in a thread which has already dedicated the best part of four pages to just exactly how benoit would have gone about crossfaceing his 7 yr old son to death?

• Paid Members

Not good, he openly said the testing was a ruse (He made that one perfectly clear), and the roids are pretty much common in pro wrestling.

How the fuck would he know?On the subject of not watching WWE out of protest, surely that's completely pointless unless you have a barb box or whatever the hell they call them? I would suggest I more effective protect would be not to attend the live events. Even then, chances are, you'll be the one sat at home missing out, while someone else comes along and buys the seat you would have had.