The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

• Paid Members

Listen to Bullhead and Houdini. I'm not that into their really early stuff, bit too[i/] plodding for my liking but they do the catchy/heavy thing to perfection on Houdini. 'Lizzy' is like a proto Nirvana song with the quiet verse heavy chorus, 'Honey Bucket' is just a savage hardcore track and Hooch :love:. Really versatile and inventive band- and I still need to listen to half their LPs!Alcest are great too. Rob Edwards in good music shocker! Where has SC gone Rob?Nice one for the blues comp! Much appreciated. I'll give it a listen tomorrow.Killah Priest- One Step

I'm noticing your sig and hoping you're gonna pimp us all some Minutemen in this thread. I've only got the Jackass theme tune.

• Moderators

Fuck's sake!

Just lost a bigass post, plus links to songs and I ain't know what they were...

To recap quickly - yes, HB Andy, please upload some old school ska - I have some and would very much like to hear more. Also, Chilly - would love to hear some more stuff off Chess from what I've heard previously.

Killah Priest - cool track, reminds me of BIBLE off of Liquid Swords

I also asked in a more eloquent way how y'all motherfuckers feel about jazz music? and then put this up - Deodato - Do it Again...... let me know if it's worth me uploading jazz in general; if anyone's interested..? And what kind of jazz you like, too..? This Deodato one is off an album I bought because a couple of the tracks were on the Espantoso radio station in Vice City (which was responsible for me getting into Latin Jazz)

On the Blues tip - here's Stevie Ray Vaughan with Texas Flood

And to round off with some hip hop, here's Kaze & 9th Wonder with Soul Dojo (complete with a nice little Karate Kid sample at the beginning)

• Paid Members

Well, I listened to that song Mr Seven, and I enjoyed it. Not too keen on the guys voice but it was a fun little song I must say. It's not rockabilly though.

Anyway, as promised, here are songs that prove Ringo is a genius

Ticket To Ride - what a way to kick things of, one of the greatest songs ever put down on record, everything, especially the drums, is perfection. I love the drums, especially the little rolling fills in between and the huge smack on the snare for the last fill, I can't really express my love for this song other than saying I want to have babies with it. Without Ringo on the sticks though, it would be nothing.

A Day In The Life - Like I said earlier, try and follow the drums on this song. Listen to how great the whole thing is, but pay attention to the phenomenal drum fills, yet not once does Ringo loose the beat, and especially the way it comes back in to double time after the first orchestral orgasm of sound. Everything about this song is extraordinary, and without it, music would be very different. The most important song ever recorded? Maybe. But again, without Ringo, it wouldn't be half the song it is.

She Said She Said - An absolute joy to listen to, one of my favourate Ringo moments, unique, styalistic, inventive, and never once does he loose that beat. Magic

In My Life - Just a great unique drum beat. Nothing flashy or sensational, just perfect drumming.

Tommorrow Never Knows - If A Day In The Life isn't the most important song ever recorded, then this is. Innovation doesn't come bigger or better than this, A Blueprint for modern dance music. The Chemical Brothers owe their career to this song. And what makes it really special? That fucking awesome drum loop. Also, going back to my previous Beatles post, all those wierd cool avant garde tape loops that are so important to the evolution of music are surly cool hip, avant garde Lennon? Nope, all McCartney. McCartney>Lennon.

Sorry to go on again, but I can't help myself sometimes.

Also, here is a list of my previous posts in this thread, cause I've realised I've uploaded alot of stuff, and I wouldn't want you lovley people to miss out.

Beach Boys - Feel Flows

Jethro Tull - A Song For Jefferey

Big Star - September Gurls

Captain Beafehart - Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do

A bunch of blues stuff

A couple of songs that float my boat

Leadbelly - John Hardy

Songs that prove McCartney is brilliant

Essential Blues comp

Edited by Chilly McFreeze

• Awards Moderator

Chilly, we are so on the same wavelength. I've always been of the opinion that McCartney was the more interesting and did the more enjoyable songwriting in the Beatles. I also champion Tomorrow Never Knows as decades ahead of dance/drum 'n' bass music.On a sideways Beatles point, there was that show on a few weeks ago about re-making Sgt Peppers. There was supposed to be a part 2 featuring Oasis, Ashcroft and some others but we never saw it. Where did it go?

My song of the day is one of the greatest pop punk songs of all time: The Ergs - Everything Falls Apart (And More). I saw this band when I was in America recently and Christ, they're awesome. There's so much energy and urgency, it's like listening to Milo Goes To College for the first time. They are rightfully starting to get more recognition and praise and I think in a few albums time people will look on them as being an absolutely essential part of the punk scene. This track is from their great record "Dork Rock Cork Rod" which was released a few years ago. They just released a new one too called "Upstairs/Downstairs" which is great also. Check them out if you like this track.

Listen to Bullhead and Houdini. I'm not that into their really early stuff, bit too[i/] plodding for my liking but they do the catchy/heavy thing to perfection on Houdini. 'Lizzy' is like a proto Nirvana song with the quiet verse heavy chorus, 'Honey Bucket' is just a savage hardcore track and Hooch :love:. Really versatile and inventive band- and I still need to listen to half their LPs!Alcest are great too. Rob Edwards in good music shocker! Where has SC gone Rob?Nice one for the blues comp! Much appreciated. I'll give it a listen tomorrow.Killah Priest- One Step

Shit hot. You a fan of Jedi Mind Tricks?

• Moderators

Vinnie Paz is one of the most comedically awful rappers I've ever heard. He does make me laugh, but he's just a bit too much.....

JMT are a continual source of disappointment to me - every album Stoupe raises his game with some awesome production, while Vinnie just lets the side down. And then finally on the most recent one Vinnie has put some vague amount of effort in, the fat idiot that he is, and the beats just fall a bit flat.

I'd reccomend Rip the Jacker by Canibus - all the greatness of Stoupe's beats, sans Vinnie Paz.

Still - Violent By Design is a brilliant album; JMT at their peak when they struck a nice balance for that one time..

Edited by Who has called me Hage?