Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe

CracktonMoj

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

It feels like Brooker had watched Victor Lewis Smith when he had his T.V show and just added more violent rants,Brooker is funny but it does beg the question if you hate what you see on television soo much just turn it off.He could use the energy to write something and make T.V better....I do like his method however of not seeing any T.V show as a sacred cow. It also leaves me feeling a little depressed after watching it and kinda makes me think Brooker is a pretty depressed guy himself.

• Paid Members

I don't think he does hate everything he sees on screen, he's just good at pouring scorn on the things he hates or sees to be wrong with the world of television in an entertaining and satirical manner. I don't think he's depressed either, he seems to amuse himself with it as much as the audience. His (entirely justified) gushing praise for "The Wire" was an example of his show also highlighting things that are great about television to provide some contrast. If I flick through the channels or sit and watch TV for a few hours, I'll probably hate the majority of what I see too, but I'm also all about pimping the stuff I love to anyone who'll listen, so I identify with him in that respect.

It feels like Brooker had watched Victor Lewis Smith when he had his T.V show and just added more violent rants,Brooker is funny but it does beg the question if you hate what you see on television soo much just turn it off.

He doesn't! He has pimped any number of shows on Screenwipe, the Wire, Deadwood, he gives credit where credit is due and slags off in a constructive manner informing the user how things are made as well!

He could use the energy to write something and make T.V better....I do like his method however of not seeing any T.V show as a sacred cow. It also leaves me feeling a little depressed after watching it and kinda makes me think Brooker is a pretty depressed guy himself.

He's not depressed at all, Cynical, Comically Agressive, but not depressed...At least not when I knew him and he was exactly the same then as he is now, he used to go into similar rants in the shop about games where we worked! :D

It feels like Brooker had watched Victor Lewis Smith when he had his T.V show and just added more violent rants,Brooker is funny but it does beg the question if you hate what you see on television soo much just turn it off.

He doesn't! He has pimped any number of shows on Screenwipe, the Wire, Deadwood, he gives credit where credit is due and slags off in a constructive manner informing the user how things are made as well!

He could use the energy to write something and make T.V better....I do like his method however of not seeing any T.V show as a sacred cow. It also leaves me feeling a little depressed after watching it and kinda makes me think Brooker is a pretty depressed guy himself.

He's not depressed at all, Cynical, Comically Agressive, but not depressed...At least not when I knew him and he was exactly the same then as he is now, he used to go into similar rants in the shop about games where we worked! :D
I understand that but...ranting is everywhere,don't you find it gets annoying after a while?I think it's down to the fact that I rant enough about T.V as it is and think watching someone else do it on television is like a bussmans holiday. I loved his T.V Go Home stuff and thought Cunt was a better as a concept rather than Nathern Barley was as a show.To me despite all the clever witty remarks he makes on his show Brooker just comes across as rabid and for me rabid doesn't always get your point across.

I understand that but...ranting is everywhere,don't you find it gets annoying after a while?
Nope. He rants yes, but he does it in the same type of way you'd do it, or in a type of way that makes you think. His peices on Reality TV and the news have been fantastic. Although I do have a biased opinion :D

I think it's down to the fact that I rant enough about T.V as it is and think watching someone else do it on television is like a bussmans holiday. I loved his T.V Go Home stuff and thought Cunt was a better as a concept rather than Nathern Barley was as a show.

Ah see what you're getting at, I tend to just switch off when I watch TV most of the time, I'm not always as alert so seeing someone else pick it apart can be rewarding! :D

To me despite all the clever witty remarks he makes on his show Brooker just comes across as rabid and for me rabid doesn't always get your point across.

Fair enough :D I just find he does his rants in such a 'down the pub' way (but more eloquent) that I enjoy 'em.Horses for courses etc :D

He also co-wrote Nathan Barley with Chris Morris.

FUCK! i loved him up to this point.I've some how managed to miss all but two episodes of this series. Are the episodes on BBC 2 a repeat of the series that's been on BBC 4 the last couple of months?

Archived