Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
In the end, I got really nit-picky about this top. I downloaded Photoshop, played around with it and learnt some stuff along the way. I tried to recreate the top as best as I could which involved making text layers of individual letters and, if I was lucky, words so that they could be spaced out like they are on the original. There may have been an easier way to do it, but it's not one I knew of.

I still can't find the same 'G' (yes, that's how nit-picky I'm being) but it's fine regardless. I'm a sad act for doing it, but it got done in a couple of hours or so.

Original

My attempt

Incidentally, if on the off chance anyone knows which 'G' that is, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

A Tribe Called Quest? Really didn't think you were a fan of that sort of thing.

• Paid Members

Anybody else ever have issues with Dropbox?

I'm about to download a bunch of pictures for the third time, as on the previous occasions it hasn't included all of them.

A Tribe Called Quest? Really didn't think you were a fan of that sort of thing.

I've been getting into some older hip hop this year. I've had their first album on my iPod for years, but only listened to Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders earlier this year. I was really excited to see them at Wireless and they didn't let me down.

They're alright but I wouldn't let my girlfriend listen to them.

Still not into Kanye West.

• Paid Members
Quick one, what legal right does a tenant have to refuse viewings in a rented property?

We move out of our current flat at the end of August and have said to the estate agents that during the day when we're at work and at the weekends is fine for viewings but now they want to do them in the evenings as well.

To be perfectly honest when I finish work I want to come home and crash not piss about with viewings, what rights do I have to hold firm on this? They are playing the 24 hours notice card but I'm sure there's more to it's than that.

Cheers in advance

Tough one that, as a landlord myself the 24 hour notice is all thats required. However it might be worth reading though to see if there is anything about not causing disruption or limting it where possible. Most of the time this is put in to cover work being carried out but you might be able to use it in this case.

On another note can you talk to the landlord direct maybe explain the problem?

• Paid Members
Quick one, what legal right does a tenant have to refuse viewings in a rented property?

We move out of our current flat at the end of August and have said to the estate agents that during the day when we're at work and at the weekends is fine for viewings but now they want to do them in the evenings as well.

To be perfectly honest when I finish work I want to come home and crash not piss about with viewings, what rights do I have to hold firm on this? They are playing the 24 hours notice card but I'm sure there's more to it's than that.

Cheers in advance

Tough one that, as a landlord myself the 24 hour notice is all thats required. However it might be worth reading though to see if there is anything about not causing disruption or limting it where possible. Most of the time this is put in to cover work being carried out but you might be able to use it in this case.

Ended up putting on my manager voice and won out, don't like going into things like that blind though in case I get caught out. They also found new tenants over the weekend while we were away so don't have to worry about it anymore. Cheers though.

• Paid Members

Cheers in advance

Ended up putting on my manager voice and won out, don't like going into things like that blind though in case I get caught out. They also found new tenants over the weekend while we were away so don't have to worry about it anymore. Cheers though.

Result

Just remember that they want to present a nice house with happy people, they dont want to piss you off incase you put people off when they look around.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but if I bought a Polaroid photo (not from the person who took it) do I have any right to use the photo? I assume not but copyright is very complex and I thought it might be different with a Polaroid as there's no negative or anything.

• Paid Members
I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but if I bought a Polaroid photo (not from the person who took it) do I have any right to use the photo? I assume not but copyright is very complex and I thought it might be different with a Polaroid as there's no negative or anything.

Right, this is going to be fun.

Copyright of the image belongs to the person that took the photo, unless they were commissioned to take it, as the commissioner is then classed as the creator of the work.

Now, the copyright is on the image itself, not the physical object that is the photograph. Even though a Polaroid is essentially its own negative and master copy, this should still apply. Unauthorised scanning and reproduction of that Polaroid would be a breach of copyright, but then theoretically, so would it being sold by a third party without the copyright holder's permission.

Of course, the person that took it could have willingly surrendered the copyright when they past the Polaroid onto whoever has it now, leaving it copyright free, or sold it on with the physical photo. If so, then (theoretically) that copyright would pass to whoever owns it at the time. Without anything in writing, this would be a pain in the arse should someone claim to own copyright of it, and as there's no negative or master copy, it would be a ballache to prove where it originated.

If you can show that you've made a dilligent effort to find out who the copyright holder is, and can't, then you can claim it as an orphan work, and use it as though it were copyright free.

What is it you're planning on using it for?

• Paid Members

I'm headed into London next weekend and i'll have my younger brother in tow who fancies himself as a bit of a gamer.

Does anyone know of anywhere in or around Leicester Square area that still has Street Fighter game cabinets? The Trocadero used to have every one imaginable...i'm a II guy myself, but last time i was there, they appeared to have shut down the entire arcade space.

• Paid Members
I believe there is an arcade on Shaftsbury Avenue that had a SFIV cab. I played against some American guy in there a couple years back.

I'm sure it's still there. Next door to the Scientology centre, John.

• Paid Members
question about copyright on a Polaroid photo.

Thanks for the great in depth answer Surf, I was hoping for something along those lines

Copyright of the image belongs to the person that took the photo ... the copyright is on the image itself, not the physical object that is the photograph. Even though a Polaroid is essentially its own negative and master copy, this should still apply.

That's what I thought

could have willingly surrendered the copyright when they past the Polaroid onto whoever has it now, leaving it copyright free, or sold it on with the physical photo. If so, then (theoretically) that copyright would pass to whoever owns it at the time

That's what I was hoping for.

Without anything in writing, this would be a pain in the arse should someone claim to own copyright of it, and as there's no negative or master copy, it would be a ballache to prove where it originated.

Not so in this case I don't think, it's a photo of an extremely famous (yet cool) person and it would be easy to pinpoint where it was taken although it probably wasn't taken by a photographer in an artistic sense, as in someone who would expect to or desire to own copyright of the image.

What is it you're planning on using it for?

Music project or book cover or something along those lines. I wouldn't consider using it if it wasn't a polaroid but I was hoping the copyright would be attached to the pic like you said it might be.

• Paid Members
Without anything in writing, this would be a pain in the arse should someone claim to own copyright of it, and as there's no negative or master copy, it would be a ballache to prove where it originated.

Not so in this case I don't think, it's a photo of an extremely famous (yet cool) person and it would be easy to pinpoint where it was taken although it probably wasn't taken by a photographer in an artistic sense, as in someone who would expect to or desire to own copyright of the image.

Not where as in location, but where as in whose hands the camera was in. Copyright is theirs regardless of whether they realise it or want it (assuming they weren't commissioned), until they release it from themselves.

If it's essentially a snapshot (albeit a cool one), and the creator has passed it on with no means to verify that it was theirs, then you've got a decent claim to it as a legitimate orphan.

Archived