Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
"The Gay Gordons"

Anybody done any Scottish Country-Dancing? My brother's wedding is in three months, and I need to learn this dance pronto for the Celidh. Is it one of the easier ones? Any good sites for me to look at to learn?

Kudos for anybody typing "Gay Gordons" into Google.

It's a piece of piss Baz.

• Paid Members

"Grange Hill" question. Woke up with it niggling in my head.

zammo.jpg

Did Zammo Maguire from "Grange Hill" die when he took that famous Smack overdose in 1984? I'm sure I remember him slumped over the lockers, needle in his arm, and that was him stone-cold (n. Austin) dead.

Above picture might have been from it, but I remember the screen turning a tinge of red over the picture too.

Can anybody find me any video of this famous scene? All I can find is a video of him shooting up behind a grotty building, which is pretty graphic for Kids TV, amazing that it bloody happened, but he doesn't die from it.

Thanks!

"The Gay Gordons"Anybody done any Scottish Country-Dancing? My brother's wedding is in three months, and I need to learn this dance pronto for the Celidh. Is it one of the easier ones? Any good sites for me to look at to learn?Kudos for anybody typing "Gay Gordons" into Google.

It's a piece of piss Baz.
13 years of Scottish country dance for PE instead of Indoor 5-a-side every fucking Christmas season made me detest it so much. But since leaving school, I've learned to realise it's a big laugh at weddings or whatever because nobody else knows what they're doing either.

• Paid Members
"Grange Hill" question. Woke up with it niggling in my head.

zammo.jpg

Did Zammo Maguire from "Grange Hill" die when he took that famous Smack overdose in 1984? I'm sure I remember him slumped over the lockers, needle in his arm, and that was him stone-cold (n. Austin) dead.

Above picture might have been from it, but I remember the screen turning a tinge of red over the picture too.

Can anybody find me any video of this famous scene? All I can find is a video of him shooting up behind a grotty building, which is pretty graphic for Kids TV, amazing that it bloody happened, but he doesn't die from it.

Thanks!

Nah, Zammo didn't die. He ended getting clean and going to the sixth form and then leaving the series.

• Paid Members

Thanks Chilli!

Just another quick question question. How would I connect my VHS to my PC? What kind of stuff would I need and where do you think I'd get the stuff from?

It's to transfer some blue movies*

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

*. I might be kidding

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
Thanks Chilli!

Just another quick question question. How would I connect my VHS to my PC? What kind of stuff would I need and where do you think I'd get the stuff from?

It's to transfer some blue movies*

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

*. I might be kidding

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I used this recently to get something off of a tape

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VHS-DVD-5-0-HD-PC/...1247&sr=1-2

you use it to connect for VCR to the computer and the software is fairly easy to work with.

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend a program where I can cut and paste a block of text and then have it read back to me? I find it a useful editing tool having my writing read back to me, and I find I pick up errors that I wouldn't otherwise. I have been using the Hal Pad feature of Ultra Hal Assistant. My free trial of Ultra Hal Assistant ends soon though and I don't want to drop $30 on the full version. Hal Pad aside I don't find Ultra Hal Assistant very useful. I tired of our conversations pretty damn quick and don't really need an electronic assistant.

It would be preferable if the program had a normal human sounding voice as well.

Anyone got much experience running Windows programs on a Mac? I've been trying to get the screenwriting program Sophocles working on my iMac because my PC monitor's broke. I can get it operational using WineBottler, but it seems like I have to reinstall it every time. In the documents folder, there's the Winebottled application Sophocles, but it runs the installer when I click it. There doesn't seem to be any other file created that just opens up into the program. It has created the "Sophocles Files" folder during the install though. Is there any way that I could sort it so I can run the program itself without the installer?

If not, then it's still operational the way it is, I can write with it and save files. It's just a rigmarole having to keep the file open or reinstall it all the time.

Archived