Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

A complete and utter contrast in the two title fights that were screened last night.

The Pacquiao vs Maragrito fight was absolutely brilliant, whilst the Haye vs Harrison fight was a total joke.

I can't say that I blame Haye for taking that fight though to be honest, as he probably made as much from it as he would a fight against either Klitschko in Germany or Vegas.

I still have to agree with the majority of the boxing pundits (well, them that don't work for Sky that is), in saying that Haye wouldn't really have much of a chance against either Klitschko, so he's best to avoid those fights and keep dropping lines to the press about unfair contracts and people "running scared".

In fact, I agree with Tyson who said that Haye should try to get a fight set up with US heavyweight Eddie Chambers.

He's 35-2, and is considered a decent fighter in the US, which should ensure a bit of TV coverage over there.

He could stage the fight in the UK, as last night proved that he could sell out an arena and collect that

• Paid Members

you saw the best and worst of boxing last night, 2 supershows, 1 great, 1 awful.

Haye/Harrison is the best example of how a nothing fight can be sold with the right hype. Holy fucking shit, i was genuinely excited before the fight, i'd bought into the hype, i loved the build up and the fight was a disgrace. You couldn't expect Harrison to come out and goto war because against a guy with Haye's power he'd have been battered, but Harrison just looked petrified, i don't really know what he was trying to do.

David Haye's post fight interview in which he said he waited till the 3rd to finish it because he had money on it was a bit of a kick in the teeth to the punters who paid good money for it. To be fair David promised he'd destroy Harrison and that's what he did, but taking into consideration all of Harrison's boasts it just seemed like a farce.

• Paid Members

then there was Pac-Man!

what a fucking performance...for 8 rounds it was one of the fights of the year, both men just going balls out. Margarito was struggling with Pacquiao's speed but everytime he pinned him on the ropes it led to some furious exchanges, both guys looked hurt to the body on a few occasions, despite Margarito having a huge size advantage everytime he was pinned Pacquiao just gritted his teeth and slugged away, tremendous stuff!

Margarito made the fight also, they said it during the broadcast about styles making fights and Margarito's come forward style and ridiculous amounts of bravery made it what it was...there aint many men who would have survived 12 rounds of that against Pacquiao, it was brutal brutal stuff. It was one of them occasions where both guys came out as winners.

2 fight of the year candidates in two weeks now, and it feels great to be a boxing fan.

oh, quick shout at for the George Groves/Kenny Anderson fight on the Manchester card, that was unexpected little gem :) I want Groves/DeGale!

Yep, that was a F'ing Boxing Match. Fight of 2010 without any shadow of a doubt!

Manny is the MAN!

Nah, was it fuck FOTY. I preferred Lopez v marquez last weekend, and that was more of an even contest than last night I thought. Twas an exciting fight though, I had

Can anybody answer me this; why does everybody hate the best truly British heavyweight since Henry Cooper? Yes, Lennox was British but was very much a product of the Canadian system. Haye is the real deal. Yeah, the fight last night was ultimately a money-maker but I heard not a single person bitch about Albert Sosnowski getting a fight against Vitali Klitschko, which is essentially the same thing as what we saw; European champion, vacates title when he gets a world title shot. There's only one truly credible heavyweight champion and that's Wlad. Povetkin and Haye are the only guys left to fight but nobody can defend Vitali since he came out of retirement. The guy has been a joke.

Wlad's a whole other level but Vitali, right now? Haye's got more than a good chance of beating him, if only because it has been so long he had a real challenge.

From the press Association:

BBBC SET FOR HARRISON PROBE

The British Board of Boxing of Control will "have to consider'' withholding some or all of Audley Harrison's purse after his dismal showing against David Haye on Saturday night.

Harrison abjectly failed to live up to his pre-fight talk as he was stopped by the WBA world heavyweight champion in three rounds, having barely thrown a punch.

Now the BBBC have said they will assess whether or not they should make him pay financially.

"It is a very difficult course to take to stop someone getting paid when they have just frozen,'' BBBC secretary Robert Smith said.

"But rescinding some of Audley Harrison's purse is something which we will have to consider.

"You have to bear in mind it was such a letdown for the 22,000 at the MEN Arena and the thousands watching at home.

"The board have rescinded purses when we feel a fighter has not tried. He did nothing all night.''

Promoter Frank Warren backed the move, telling The Sun: "The board have withheld purses for a whole lot less than this.

"They should give the money to the ex-boxers benevolent fund, they have done more to deserve it than Harrison ever could.

"Fans paid to watch the worst fight I've ever seen.''

From the press Association:

BBBC SET FOR HARRISON PROBE

The British Board of Boxing of Control will "have to consider'' withholding some or all of Audley Harrison's purse after his dismal showing against David Haye on Saturday night.

Harrison abjectly failed to live up to his pre-fight talk as he was stopped by the WBA world heavyweight champion in three rounds, having barely thrown a punch.

Now the BBBC have said they will assess whether or not they should make him pay financially.

"It is a very difficult course to take to stop someone getting paid when they have just frozen,'' BBBC secretary Robert Smith said.

"But rescinding some of Audley Harrison's purse is something which we will have to consider.

"You have to bear in mind it was such a letdown for the 22,000 at the MEN Arena and the thousands watching at home.

"The board have rescinded purses when we feel a fighter has not tried. He did nothing all night.''

Promoter Frank Warren backed the move, telling The Sun: "The board have withheld purses for a whole lot less than this.

"They should give the money to the ex-boxers benevolent fund, they have done more to deserve it than Harrison ever could.

"Fans paid to watch the worst fight I've ever seen.''

In no way trying to defend Audley here, but Frank Warren has had it in for Audley since the days of his NoTW column, and bashes him at any given opportunity.

I think this is due to the failed BBC deal when things went sour between the two as promoter/boxer. Warren is always quick to twist the knife in at any opportunity and it comes across as a silly bitch fight at times

Nothing like kicking a useless oaf when he is down is there Frank? I mean, you dont turn on all your ex fighters like um Calzaghe the minute they leave for pastures new do you?

He is right in this case of course, but he could for once give the smug i told you so's and so forth a rest, as the vendetta is now growing tiresome.

• Paid Members
Can anybody answer me this; why does everybody hate the best truly British heavyweight since Henry Cooper?

I don't feel this is the case at all. I was under the impression that everyone pretty much loved David Haye?

Wanting to know why everybody hates arguably one of Britain's best boxing prospects ever, Amir Khan, is a better quesiton?