Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Pretty entertaining show on Sky considering they were meant to be mostly squash matches. 

Khan didn't exactly set the world alight. A much more competitive fight than I anticipated but as a result of that it was better to watch. I didn't know a great deal about Vargas going in but he fought well last night. I actually thought the scorecards were slightly wider than they should've been. Khan definitely won by a distance but having him 9 or 10 points up was a bit much, IMO. He didn't do much of anything in the last couple of rounds and it was Vargas bringing it and piling the pressure on. Khan getting dropped by a guy of Vargas' level doesn't look good either. Good fight though. It's said so much it's a bit of a cliché but Khan is never in a dull fight is he? 

Still doesn't seem keen on the Brook fight though. He actually mentioned Brook by name this time, which I guess is slight progress, but then kept banging on about Pacquiao being the fight he wants. It's never going to happen. 

I liked Brook's line at the end - "I'll let him be the A-Side, then I'll put him on his backside" - in his Keith Lemon voice. 

Eggington got fucked up. That was a bit of a shock but when you fight like Eggington and block punches with your face you're asking for trouble. Something like this is always on the cards when you fight like that. I really like Eggington but he can't keep just standing there shipping punches and relying on his chin to get him through it. That Hassan bloke looked good to be fair. 

Welborn vs Langford was a cracking fight. Really enjoyed it. And Ritson has quickly become one of my favourites to watch. 

Fun show all in all. Haven't watched Garcia vs Porter yet but looking forward to that.

Anyone else think that the refereeing in the main event was a tad favourable towards Khan? That punch to the back of the head that was counted as a knock down? The amount of time his corner were allowed to fuck about between the end of the round where he got dumped on his arse and the next round? 

I believe that if that was a British fighter on the end of that kind of officiating in the US there'd be a bit of noise about it back home.

It wasn't anything glaringly obvious, just felt that Khan got a lot of "home benefits," shall we say?

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

In the opening rounds I noticed as soon as they clinched, Khan looked straight at the ref and started saying something to him, like he was telling how to ref or something.

That was doing my head in. Khan was mostly the one who kept clinching and slapping on headlocks and stuff but he'd always look at the ref as if Vargas was playing dirty. 

27 minutes ago, Fox Piss said:

Khan fitness was alarming considering that it's vital to his game. Might just be a bad weight cut issue but needs to be on point for whichever opponent he takes if his to stand a chance.

His dicey chin is always going to be a problem at the top level, especially against someone who can punch. He was relatively lucky that the round came to an end when it did after he got dropped, because you could see by his face in the corner that he hadn't recovered from the knock down. If Vargas had another minute or so to put pressure on him at that point it could very well have been all over.

I don't see him doing anything over the next few years aside from maybe make himself some decent coin. He won't beat Manny, and I doubt he beats Brook either.

Vargas had Khan in trouble at the end of the 10th as well. 

I had fancied Khan to beat Manny and Brook before last night. But Khan's performance last night reminded me of his shortcomings. I think Brook would knock him out. As would Manny. I suspect that Khan will do everything in his power to fight Manny next. He's never seemed keen on the Brook fight. He was even pushing for the Manny fight on IFL last night. 

Possibly, but this is post roid Manny though with ten more years on the clock. The Pacman fight is of no interest to me, hopefully they sort the Brook fight out. If it is December it’s going to be a busy month with Whyte fighting, Fury/Wilder and Khan. 

Shame for Eggington, he fought like an novice though.

I think Khan vs Manny bout would be evenly matched for as long as it lasts. Khan was ahead on my scorecard in the Canelo fight before he got buzzed. Same applies for his fight with Garcia. But sooner or later, it's probable that Manny would land big and eventually polish Khan off. I have no faith in Khan lasting 12 rounds with a serious opponent without getting buzzed at some stage.

Maybe a silly thing to say. He was never popped but personally i think it was pretty  obvious to see he was on them. Knocking everyone he faced into oblivion then when the whole hoopla come out about him possibly being on steroids he suddenly shrinks a little and stops knocking people out. Head like Benoit as well.

His last fight was his first stoppage in years. I love Pacquio and he’s one of my favourite fighters ever but you have to be realistic, much like you have to be realistic Marquez was juiced to the gills when he smashed Pacman in their fourth encounter. Testing has become more stringent recently but for most boxing fans i think you have to accept that most of your favourites were in PEDS up until a couple of years ago. Holyfield although i think never caught, look at the state of him for his size.  

Really believe Josh Warrington is on them at the moment as an obvious example. No power in his early career with not a great physique, now look at him. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

11 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Maybe a silly thing to say. He was never popped but personally i think it was pretty  obvious to see he was on them. Knocking everyone he faced into oblivion then when the whole hoopla come out about him possibly being on steroids he suddenly shrinks a little and stops knocking people out. Head like Benoit as well.

His last fight was his first stoppage in years. I love Pacquio and he’s one of my favourite fighters ever but you have to be realistic, much like you have to be realistic Marquez was juiced to the gills when he smashed Pacman in their fourth encounter. Testing has become more stringent recently but for most boxing fans i think you have to accept that most of your favourites were in PEDS up until a couple of years ago. Holyfield although i think never caught, look at the state of him for his size.  

Really believe Josh Warrington is on them at the moment as an obvious example. No power in his early career with not a great physique, now look at him. 

Thing is, with no actual evidence it just boils down to unqualified opinions, many of which have an agenda, doesn't it?

Another thing to consider is that virtually every athlete takes "performance enhancing drugs" of some sort. You know all of those supplements they take? The powders they mix with juice in their blenders? All done for one reason. Performance enhancement.

There's absolutely no boxer at a decent level who's coming into the ring on a Rocky-esque diet of free meat from the local butchers and some raw eggs.

Where the line is drawn is where the various commissions deem something illegal or not, and it's up to them to run the testing for those and stop the fighters who take them from competing.

Pacquiao was never busted for anything, so the records will show that he was clean.

I also see people talking about the change in him after Alex Ariza was no longer working with him, which is true, but I think the reason for that is more pedestrian than some sort of top-secret steroid ring that was being run.

Truth is, during his time with Ariza we'd always hear about Pacquiao complaining that Ariza was too hard on him and so on.

Manny always had other shit going on in his life, especially in the second half of his career, and the truth is that he wasn't all that focused a lot of the time. Ariza used to work him hard, and he didn't like it.

Like many top fighters do, they end up replacing the guys who don't tell them what they want to hear with guys who will do whatever the fuck they want them to do.

Look at his output in recent fights. He's throwing less punches (some say it's around a third) of what he used to in his prime, with the likes of Ariza saying that he believes that Manny has been trying to change up his style to accommodate him no longer being in his prime physically, which he isn't, obviously. Everyone ages, no matter who you are, and when you've been putting your body through the kind of career he has it's going to affect you.

If someone asked me why we've seen Pacquiao decline from being an all-time great to just a great fighter I'd say it's most likely a combination of him almost being 40 years old, him no longer fighting the same way as did in his prime (because he can't, he's no longer in his 20's or early 30's), him having more shit going on in his life that he's involved in to such an extent where boxing isn't the primary focus, and him no longer having the team around him who pushed him in his prime.

In 2016 he said this - 

"I want to make it clear - my priority is my legislative works.

"My next fight has not yet been discussed. Should there be any, I'll make sure it will not interfere with my senate duties. When I ran for senator last May 9 elections, I made a promise to be present in all sessions. I owe it to the people.

"If ever I decide to fight again, rest assured, it will happen when congress is on recess so there's no need for me to go on leave. The entire training will be done in the Philippines to ensure I can attend sessions even while on training camp.

"Boxing is my only means of livelihood to support my family and to help those who are in need. Politics, to me, is a vocation not a means to eke out a living."

Does that sound like a guy who's focused on his boxing? It doesn't to me. He's boxing for the money nowadays, to fund his various projects and so forth.

I know all of that is ultimately less sexy than him secretly being a big steroid user, and his whole legacy being built on dodgy needles and vials of shady liquids, but you tend to find that the truth is less exciting than the fiction.

And unless he ever gets popped for steroid use, it's fiction.