Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Edgehead said:

Bellew ended the match like he was Bobby Heenan and Whyte was Flair in the Royal Rumble.

Ha. If Parker had KO'd him in the dying seconds, no doubt Bellew would've been screaming "this is not right for Whyte" as his version of the 'not fair to Flair' thing. 

Parker just isn't ruthless enough. Round 2 he was winning. Then came the knockdown that wasn't. He gets back up smiling and the rounds over. Doesn't care that the ref's fucked up even though he was 3 yards away, staring directly at it. Should have been a 10-9 for him and swings to 10-8 in Whyte's favour. Whyte coming in heavier also allowed him to lean on Parker, push him down, rabbit punch. Parker wasn't going to stop him because he's too passive and the ref isn't going to bother about it because he's the Matchroom fighter. I think the only reason Parker got back into it is because Whyte's stamina let him down in the championship rounds.

• Paid Members

Prior to the fight i listened to the Radio 5 Live boxing show where Parker admitted in camp they were working on him being more aggressive, it sounded like they were trying to coax it out of him though. Its what made me sway my pick before the fight because i thought Dylian might drag him into deep water and i thought he might not like it, i was proven right too. Froch and Bellew were laying it on a little thick during the fight but it did feel like Parker wasn't enjoying it.

What was brilliant about it though was after the 2nd knockdown, which realistically should have knocked him dead, Parker got up, bit down and went for it. He has his best rounds (bar 1&2) aftet getting decked, so it showed he does have it, the guy really does seem too nice for heavyweight boxing. I hope he can correct it permanently because hes got skils. The last few rounds completely redeemed Parker too.

Brilliant fight, great drama.

• Paid Members

I dont wanna see it, i like the human side of the officiating. I genuinley believe the first Parker knockdown was a mistake. Parker didnt even complain so i think he believed he'd been punched too.

• Paid Members

Was the other dodgy knockdown in the Benn vs Peynaud fight? I looked away for a sec to stop my niece electrocuting herself and looked back and caught half the 'knockdown'. Looked like Peynaud slipped or tripped but the ref gave him a count so I assumed Benn had clipped him with something. 

• Paid Members

@Egg Shen I'd throw Buatsi into that convo as well. It was a night of big finishes and very nearly another one by Parker in the main event. 

I'd have to give the KO of the night to Chisora myself. The fact he was behind on the cards, taking a battering early on, then the drama of the first knockdown and how brutal the second one was, it was everything you want out of the heavyweights. 

I did love the Allen KO as well though. I've got a soft spot for the White Rhino so it was a proper feel-good moment seeing him get that big finish. The punch itself was a cracker as well. But Delboy stole the show for me. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Tyson Fury reckons he's been in "serious" talks to fight Deontay Wilder in December. And Fish Eyes has invited Wilder to be at ringside for Fury's fight in a few weeks. Fury did an IFL interview saying it's basically "a done deal" as long as he beats Pianeta and Wilder beats his mandatory (Brezeale?). Fury also had a dig at Hearn and Joshua, saying Wilder's people were easy as fuck to deal with. 

This was interesting as well. UFC's Walt Harris just did an IFL interview. He's sparred both Fury and Wilder so he's got a unique POV of this whole thing. Seems a good guy as well. 

Outside of the UK boxing bubble, it really feels like Deontay won the PR battle with AJ doesn't it? Especially now Tyson has jumped in the shark tank.

I still can't see this fight happening for whatever reason, but it'd be a shame for Joshua if it did: his most sensible path seemed to run through Wilder, if he could figure out that crazy puzzle, and then ultimately to Fury. If one eliminates the other, that's kind of a shame. Whoever comes out with 2 wins from that triangle of fighters is the best of this era at heavyweight, hands down, though.

• Paid Members

100%. It's probably no surprise because Wilder and his management/Showtime obviously have a lot more credibility over there than Hearn - Hearn, at face value, does come across as pure sleaze. Nonetheless, if Hearn is to be believed and Wilder's camp are just doing this to build him up, then it's done the job.

I think it will happen, just their teams are looking to squeeze as much cash out of them before it. AJ, in particular, is making a fortune without the Wilder threat.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I don't know what to believe anymore with the whole Joshua/Wilder thing. I'd been nodding in agreement with Eddie Hearn, which I hate doing, until after the Whyte vs Parker show at the weekend, now I'm not so sure. Before Saturday's show, Hearn was going with the story of 'AJ is gonna fight Povetkin. Let Wilder bash up Brezeale in December. Then we'll do AJ vs Wilder in April'. In his interviews since Saturday though, he's now on about AJ vs Whyte 2 and fucking Wilder vs Chisora and saying 'Joshua and Wilder are gonna fight eventually, it's inevitable'. Just feels like every time a hurdle gets cleared, another one is put there by either the AJ or Wilder side. 

Hearn's side still sounds more believable to me. He's gone into a lot of detail and what he's saying rings true, whereas the Yanks are just giving it the 'Joshua's ducking bro' line. It doesn't help that Frank Warren is vouching for Wilder's side either, saying he's seen the contract himself and that Hearn's full of shit. 1) Warren's got an axe to grind with Hearn and 2) he always comes off so shifty to me that I can't believe much of what he says. Then there's Schaub. When two of the most vocal figures backing the Haymon/Finkel/Wilder side are Fish Eyes and Brendan Schaub, every cell in my body repels against agreeing with that side. Everyone's picking a side but it's seems like we're being bullshitted from all angles on this one, the more I watch, listen and read about it. Wolf tickets. 

If Wilder's team are just using Joshua's name just to raise Wilder's profile etc, if that's the case then it is working but it's only going to work for so long. At some point he's got to fight someone good. He's had 40-odd fights now and only 1 or 2 of them weren't bums. I like Wilder, he seems a nice enough guy, has huge KO power and he's a good character for the division. But it's time to step it up. If not Joshua then Fury or Whyte or...someone. 

#BUUUUUUUMSQUAAAAAAAD

• Paid Members

I've really gotten into the In This Corner podcast recently that gives a proper American perspective on boxing and it's crazy how their view of the Wilder/AJ thing (along with guys like Schaub) is the complete opposite of how we and hear about it through the UK press, pretty fascinating. It's like boxing propaganda from both sides.

Recommend that podcast though, it's a great listen.