Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Thought Brook has a great start but after round 2 the constant GGG pressure was getting to him. The stoppage felt premature but at that point Brook was in a world of shit, i dont think it was gonna get any better for him.

Yeah, the decision to call it of at that time was slightly questionable I guess, but I've always gone with the idea that when your own corner want it stopping, they know you best, they know your done. They're can't really be to many complaints. Also Brook really was offering nothing back and looked to be out of it when GGG was unloading punches on him.

• Paid Members

Anyone else find the show a real drag to watch before the main event? I know they didn't all go the distance but having so many 12 rounders in a row is just jarring to watch sometimes and this show just felt like a bit of a slog to get through. It wasn't as bad as a Frank Warren undercard but it was still a bit of a chore to sit through. The last couple of Anthony Joshua cards have been really good but this wasn't much cop apart from Golovkin vs Brook and Conor Benn's fight.

Glad I didn't pay for this one, to be honest.

On the plus side, it was refreshing not having to listen to Jim Watt.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

the show started well but i felt the Haskins/Hall fight sucked the life out of the event. Boxing cards are hard things to get right, people complain about depth but unless you get several barnburners in a row 36 minute fights can be hard to get through. Main event made it worth it though.

The HBO/Showtime format of just have two real solid fights (sometimes 3) is the best way to go. Still, nothing says you need to start watching from the beginning. The actual HBO card Saturday night was cracking, Kamegai/Soto Karass & Gonzales/Cuadras were both real good fights. I had Chocolatito's fight as a draw, hell of a scrap, it was interesting because for 3 rounds Kellerman and Jones were basically wanking under the desk talking about Chocolatito but it was apparent the tide was changing before they'd even noticed it.

it was interesting because for 3 rounds Kellerman and Jones were basically wanking under the desk talking about Chocolatito but it was apparent the tide was changing before they'd even noticed it.

Kellerman is a huge fan of Chocolatito. He was raving about him on ESPN in the days before the fight.

I agree that the show was too long on Saturday. If they had cut out the Paul Smith and Marin Ward fights, it wouldn't have done any harm.

• Paid Members

the Martin Ward fight was the second best of the night, i get your point though.

Yeh, Kellerman loves Chocolotito and with good reason. But he couldn't see past the love for the first part of the fight on Saturday, he did come around in the end though.

Anyone else baffled by the reaction to GGG on Saturday? Many people thing Kell humanised him and highlighted huge holes in his game. I completely disagree. Kell is legit world class and had 1 excellent round but GGG has always been willing to take shots to give shots, he's a pressure fighter and stays in guys faces from bell to bell, if you can't outpunch the guy he's gonna smash you. It feels like GGG is getting shit for having a crowd pleasing style.

Oh, and the Eubanks have trumped themselves for being complete knobs in the aftermath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0g1utiuQHI

Considering both Eubanks have been involved in fights where a corner throwing in a towel might have prevented serious injury, it makes the comments even more moronic.

Here's a Eubank Sr. comment made post Nick Blackwell:

'If it was my son I'd have thrown in the towel'

:sneaky:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Looking forward to Canelo/Smith tonight.

There's also boxing on Sky at 9.30 from Poland Glowacki/Usyk, Cruiserweight Title fight. The names may not be familiar but people are expecting it to be a bit of a war, should be worth tuning in for.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10574736/krzysztof-glowacki-to-defend-wbo-title-against-oleksandr-usyk-live-on-sky-sports#no-js-nav

Edited by Egg Shen

Yeah that cruiser fight will be be a slobber knocker. Smith v Canelo might be a decent one as well, but I can't help but think it will be similar to the JAMES Kirkland fight. Smith has hasa tight defence but just comes forward like most of Gallagher fighters, canelo isn't the hardest puncher but he's very accurate!