Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Hopefully someone who knows the rules and technicalities of boxing properly can answer my question. Why did the ref half step in and usher Joshua away when he was looking to capitalise on Breazeale struggling and stumbling on spaghetti legs in the second round?

The referee shouldn't have done that. It was wrong. I can only assume he thought about giving Breazele a standing 8 count, then saw he wasn't in as much trouble as he thought so let it continue.

Does Joshua sing or rap his own entrance music now? It sounded like him.

Connor Benn does look impressive. Who was the tall good looking chap Felix something? The pundits seem to think big things lay ahead for him.

Edited by Porkchopcash

At first I thought it was Joshua rapping too then realised it was Giggs.

Felix Cash looked OK in his debut, will probably end up being a British champion at best.

George Groves should end up being a World Champion in his next fight.

Fury has been accused of doping. According to the Daily Mirror (yes, I know) traces of a banned anabolic steroid were discovered in a sample last year. The story is picking up quite a head of steam. 

If you watch this video, you get the feeling that Eubank Sr is grandstanding about the GGG bout. The complaints about SKY seem like a get-out clause. 

• Paid Members

I hope for Jr's sake that Sr is grandstanding. I've never seen a father so keen to get his son battered.

I really like Eubank Jr, have done since the start, but he'll get annihilated by Triple G. Absolutely minced. He's so much fun to watch but if the likes of Doran and Spike O'Sullivan are tagging him then I shudder to think what Golovkin would do to him.

Saying that, Golovkin needs something. None of the big names in America seem to want any. And at least Eubank is exciting and has a name. I wouldn't be against Eubank getting a crack at Golovkin. But I wouldn't fancy his chances of leaving upright.

Edited by wandshogun09

Canelo and GGG's camps have agreed to fight at the end of next year. Obviously, a lot could happen before then. 

I think Eubank Jr mentioned BJS for a reason last night. If the GGG fight falls through (which I expect it will), they will probably try and coax BJS into a rematch, which I think Eubank would win. 

• Paid Members

I'd love, fucking love, to see Eubank Jr knock Saunders out. Just to hear the next IFL interview with Saunders following the loss. He's been saying 'Euwank' is shit for so long now it'd be hilarious to listen to him try to explain away why he just got flattened by him. The fucking horrible shit.

Can't see it though. I think Eubank can win the rematch, although I'd be about 50/50 on it, but I doubt he'd stop Saunders.

Oh and Jim - is that right about Golovkin vs Canelo being agreed to for late next year? Why so far away? That fight should be happening this year. What's the reasoning for putting it off until late 2017? Seems crackers to me.

Edited by wandshogun09

Oh and Jim - is that right about Golovkin vs Canelo being agreed to for late next year? Why so far away? That fight should be happening this year. What's the reasoning for putting it off until late 2017? Seems crackers to me.

This is the only explanation I've read. It became clear in the weeks following the Khan victory that Canelo wasn't too keen.  

But a source told Yahoo Sports that though Alvarez defeated Cotto last year to win the linear middleweight title, he still doesn't feel fully comfortable at the weight. Both of Alvarez's middleweight fights have been held at a catchweight of 155, or a pound over the super welterweight limit of 154. The 15-month delay of pushing the bout to 2017 will allow Alvarez to get comfortable fighting as a fully fledged middleweight and to help Golovkin build his name.
Edited by jimufctna24

Canelo is following the Mayweather plan but worse. He not only has his own weight class, but he will now only agree to fight you next year, for sure, maybe.

If GGG is still flatlining everyone at that point I expect Canelo might still not be ready and ask for another year or two.

• Paid Members

I guess it actually kind of makes some sense if that's the explanation. But it still seems odd. Despite Golovkin not being a household name, Canelo's popular enough that the fight would do well and they could promote it easily enough given Golovkin's long string of knockout wins. It's not like GGG would be hard to promote. He's an exciting fighter, a finisher and likable as fuck. All he's missing is the big name opponents to raise his profile. But how are Canelo and his team expecting Golovkin's name to be bigger by late 2017 if no big names will fight him?

He'll still be in the same boat late next year as he is now if no-one newsworthy will fight him. Even Eubank, he's a name to us but do they know him in the States really? Would a win over Eubank really do anything for Golovkin's profile in America? I mean, it'd be better than some of the guys Golovkin's beat but it's not going to make his name bigger to any real significant degree is it?

Edited by wandshogun09

They could be thinking that the more GGG is exposed, the bigger draw he will become. In their eyes, it could be a question of time and longevity, rather than the name-value of the opponent. Although I agree, facing a big-name would help GGG's stature. I watch all of GGG's fights, and other than Murray and Macklin, I've not been familiar with his opponents. 

There's a chance that the Eubank Jr fight might do well in the States. Provided it's promoted properly, and not hidden behind a paywall. Whatever is said about Eubank Sr, he commands attention. A bit like Danny Garcia's Dad, just more entertaining.  If the Eubanks aren't known in the States at the moment, they will be once Eubank Sr gets in front of the HBO cameras. People are going to be clamouring for GGG to beat Eubank Jr. Hearn was saying that it might take place in a Stadium, so it could be a massive spectacle (if it actually happens). 

Golovkin camp have said it isn't true, nothing has been agreed and Canelo  is meant to be facing Liam Smith next at 154lbs for the WBO light-middleweight title. It's quite simple, if GGG who comes in most of the time at 159lbs for his fights, won't come in at 155lbs for the weigh in, Canelo wants no part and he knows he can make good money fighting these other guys, The thing about it being to help Golovkin's name more over there is laughable,