Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Joshua v Whyte should be over in a couple of rounds. That's going to be your Hulk vs. Andre. Kevin Mitchell vs. Ismael Barroso is the real workers match, thats going to be Savage vs. Steamboat. And its for the interim world title. If Mitchell wins it, its going to set up a fight with Anthony Crolla. Eubank v O'Sullivan should be alright filler because they're about the same skill level

• Paid Members

Winner of Eubank/Spike gets a crack at Danny Jacobs World Title...i disagree on the skill level though, Eubank id say is far superior, Spike O'Sullivan hits hard though so he's got an outside punchers chance.

• Paid Members

So sad to see Roy Jones get ironed out like that. That's got to be it for Roy, hasn't it? He should've stopped years ago but this will hopefully be the one that finally makes him pack it in.

One of the best ever in his prime.

297886_o.gif

He's so far gone from this now it's ridiculous.

If you hear anyone trot out the 'boxings boring these days' line, just point them in the direction of tonight's card.

Fucking hell.

Never felt so vindicated after deciding to buy a PPV. Phenomenal action.

Ref deserves all the points for not calling off the main event. For my money the bell went after Joshua had wound up so it would have been hard to pull out, whereas Whyte was just being a straight up dick.

I think after a rough first round, he may even have wanted out.

• Paid Members

It's been years since I've seen a good heavyweight fight, and now I've seen two in a row!

Great fight. Much better than most ever thought it would be. This is exactly what Joshua needed. No idea who is next though.

• Paid Members

I'll post some more tomorrow cause im knackered but that was a great night of action, we saw a bit of everything. Whoever questioned the quality of the card based on the booking lines was way off.

Oh and i had a quid on Joshua winning in round 7 at 28/1, bonus!

• Paid Members

This is exactly what Joshua needed. No idea who is next though.

David Haye was suggesting Joshua vs Chisora. I'd be up for that.

Great fight and the whole card really delivered. Much better than the Klitschko vs Fury show. This was a 180 from that. Joshua vs Whyte was a wild heavyweight shootout that pushed AJ like he'd never been pushed before, had twists and turns, controversy and a fucking brutal finish.

Eubank vs Spike was even better. Shame about the anti-climatic ending but I totally got Collins' reasoning for pulling Spike out. Refreshing to see that from a corner.

The Luke Campbell upset was a surprise. Mendy wasn't fucking about, definitely deserved the win. I thought he was going to get stiffed by the judges when they announced one judge had it for Campbell.

Kevin Mitchell losing was sad to see. Barroso looked good though. Vicious stoppage.

Even Delboy showed up on good form.

Best complete boxing card I've seen in ages.

• Paid Members

Honestly, I can't recall a better night of boxing action.

I can. There's probably been a few but this one immediately jumped to mind...

September 15th 2012.

HBO:

Sergio Martinez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

Rocky Martinez vs Miguel Beltran Jr

Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Robert Marroquin

Showtime:

Canelo Alvarez vs Josesito Lopez

Marcos Maidana vs Jesus Soto Karass

Leo Santa Cruz vs Eric Morel

These were two fucking amazing shows on the same night. Martinez vs Chavez was full of drama with Chavez nearly scoring the comeback KO in the 12th round after being schooled the previous 11. Canelo dismantled Lopez in an exciting fight. And Martinez vs Beltran, Maidana vs Karass and Santa Cruz vs Morel were all tremendous forgotten FOTY candidates.

Tonight's show was great though. Best boxing show in a long, long time. Probably since the above 2012 one actually.

Echo the love for last night's show.

Good to see AJ tested and get some rounds under his belt.

A fight with Del-Boy makes sense.

The Eubank/Spike fight was fun. Refreshing to see a team call the fight off and protect the fighter in such a situation.

Shocked by the Campbell result. Feel for Kevin Mitchell, can't help but like the man but it might be time to call it a day.

• Paid Members

Was nice having the Macarinelli-Jones fight go on during it, we got that up on the tablet and muted the second half of the Bellew/Masternak fight (which from what i could tell was a decent battle as well).

The Joshua fight humanised the man and im pleased about that. It was the kind of fight he needed, he came out and threatened a blow out but Whyte was tough and gave as good back as he got, Joshua was shaken bad in round 2 and from that point until round 5 i thought it was Whyte's fight, but AJ showed he could handle a little asversity, he settled in and went back to basics and he got the job done. I think it also showed that AJ might not be at the level some expected, he's got a ways to go and there's nothing wrong with that.

It was the perfect kind of way to end the show though, AJ showed vunerability and might have lost a little stock during the fight had he not got the finish but he did so in brutal fashion and its that kind of thing that fans wanted to see. The twitter reaction was overwhelmingly positive.

The first two rounds though were insane, the end of round 1 went a bit Mike Tyson didn't it, i thought it was getting called off there and then. AJ gas got that underlying nastiness to him, he seems like a great guy but it's in there. The post-figt interview showed a little of that too. Props to Whyte for playing his part.

The fight showed AJ isn't ready for a guy like Haye, hopefully this can slow the hype down a little bit.

I couldn't stand that loads of people think Joshua is the best in the world already. Some of my friends genuinely wouldn't give Fury a chance of goin past 3 rounds with him.

Mitchell has to stop getting chances now, he's proven several times now that he just isn't good enough to be at world level.

Eubank junior got the job done, spike was catching him with nice counters despite plodding forward and taking a bit of a beating in the process. Can't help but feel Eubank is lacking some things to get to the elite level, concussive punching power being one of them.

Roy Jones was sad to see, I can't believe they had him the bookies favourite. Jones needs to retire or at least stick to semi retired Europeans, not guys who have been mixing at fringe world level.

The fight showed AJ isn't ready for a guy like Haye, hopefully this can slow the hype down a little bit.

I couldn't stand that loads of people think Joshua is the best in the world already. Some of my friends genuinely wouldn't give Fury a chance of goin past 3 rounds with him.

This.

Overall from what I caught seemed like a really fun show. Had issues with stream which I guess warrant I should have purchased it. Still felt it was minor robbery though. Even with how good some of the fights where.