Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I wouldn't be surprised if he was deadly serious, then saw how people were laughing about it and decided to say he was just messing about.

If Floyd had just mentioned Berto, I could believe he was serious. But a brief glance at Mayfield's record confirms he was joking. Mayfield looks like a domestic fighter, plus no one has heard of him. At the worst, it is Floyd on the wind-up. 

If I was a betting man, I would predict Floyd vs Porter will be made for September..

Mayweather - Thurman, Porter or Khan are the only fights I can see happening.

In other news, Roy Jones Junior will fight at the Aintree Equestrian Centre, September 12th on one them cards not licensed by the BBBofC but by the Mlata commision (most likely a WBU title defense). I might have to go, I think I'd rather see Jones in the flesh than see Brook fight Rios, as silly as it sounds.

http://www.vaughanboxing.tv/

• Paid Members

Though Roy Jones has stepped down in completition and still competes because he seemingly enjoys it, there's something not quite right about seeing him box on these little shows.

Still, i might go :D

• Paid Members

Anyone follow Nigel Benn on twitter?

Apparently, as mad as it sounds, Benn vs Eubank 3 was going to happen next March. They'd been in talks since November 2013 according to Benn.

But it's not happening now because Eubank was fannying about changing the dates and just generally giving Benn the run-around.

lcRJa.jpg

yGa25.jpg

D9bN.jpg

zBjVl.jpg

t6Zgd.jpg

dcWeV.jpg

Gg7pA.jpg

vmyAs.jpg

YSCEa.jpg

Gutted. Seems like Eubank was on the wind up from the off though. Shame because Benn seemed up for it. Would've been fun. Especially if they went proper old school and got the fight on ITV on a Saturday night, dusted off the old Big Fight Live theme tune and stuff.

Here's a new picture of Benn with his son Conor, by the way;

CzNq1.jpg

51 years old and he looks the same as he did 20 years ago. Eubank doesn't want any.

• Paid Members

what is it with boxing comeback stories recently, Eubank/Benn, De La Hoya, Tyson...we have to be about due for the yearly 'Lennox Lewis is considering a comeback' newsflash.

Anyone catch the Matchroom show?

Callum Smith/Christopher Rebrasse was a cracking fight. Rebrasse was the perfect kind of step up fight for Smith, made for a real competitive bout and that's what he needed. If you ever want to point to a fighter who will never reach elite level due to lack of power though you have to point to Rebrasse, given the way he fights he has it all except for punch power, if he could punch the guy would be a right handful for anyone.

Rocky Fielding/Brian Vera was pretty controversial but given that the home fighter won it was brushed over a little. Fielding started great and decked Vera early, but in round 2 during an exchange, Vera was bundled to the floor, the ref shouted break as Vera was getting up, Fielding cracked Vera with a right-left combo (the left hand would have KO'd most heavyweights, it was brutal)...and it was all she wrote. No real fault of Fielding's though it was a cheap shot, the referee lost control for a second and Vera paid the price.

Is it just me, or is Billie Joe Saunders completely unlikeable?

I usually like scoundrels in combat sport, but I can't warm to Saunders in the slightest. Every time I have seen an interview with him, I come away disliking him more than to begin with. Everything about him bugs me. The way he talks, his overly-aggressive demeanour, his crude sense of humour, the list could go on and on. 

Even though Saunders has generally been in the right during his feud with the Eubanks, I would still love Eubank Jr to flatten him if they have a rematch. Andy Lee will be my new favourite boxer if he beats him in September.

• Paid Members

Yeah Saunders is a cock.

I'd have probably rooted for Eubank Jr against him anyway but his twattish interviews made it much easier. He should've been the babyface in that whole build-up yet every interview he did and every barely decipherable tweet he shat out just made me want to see Eubank destroy him.

He's a knob. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Strangely excited about this news! (From the BBC)

British heavyweight Tyson Fury will fight Wladimir Klitschko for the Ukrainian's world heavyweight titles in Dusseldorf, Germany on October 24.

Fury, who is unbeaten in 24 fights, successfully defended his European heavyweight title in London in March.

Klitschko, 39, is WBA, IBF and WBO champion and has not lost for 11 years.

Fury, 26, said on Twitter he could not wait for what would be the "best fight in heavyweight history" and added he would knock out Klitschko.

The fight will be a record-breaking 28th heavyweight title bout for Klitschko and his 19th defence in his second reign as world champion.

Speaking after he beat Bryant Jennings in his last fight in April, he said he was "ready" for Fury.

The 6ft 9in Manchester fighter beat Romania's Christian Hammer in his last fight.

That'd be a fantastic weekend away incorporating the fight, Dusseldorf and the surrounding area are great, especially if you love football and beer. Unfortunately I'll just be back from another holiday so won't make it.

I don't give Fury much of a chance to be honest, I'm not sure what he does better than Wlad. The size of Fury makes it intriguing though. 

I'd have thought Wlad would've tried to face Wilder next rather than risking Povetkin taking the belt from the American. Decent chance he loses a reasonably big money fight there.