Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Haha, well noticed about the belts. Its a crafty piece of promoting i guess, but im sure any boxer would rather defeat a champion rather than take a vacant belt. You gotta snatch oppurtunities though.

Just hoping Warren paces this show well. His normally fucking awful (See Saunders-Ryder) and i want to go out afterwards.

Del Boy to be in the ring by 11pm is what I have heard

Just to correct myself. No chance of this happening

Still got Gavin's fight, a 4 rounder, and Eubank vs BJS to go and it is nearly 10pm

Could be nearly midnight before Fury and Del Boy starts

The commentator did just say the crowd are "in a lull" at the moment. Gone to sleep from tedium more like. Does Warren have any fighters in his roster who are not feather fisted punchers? I just went and watched a film, came back and they're still only on fight no.8. The first fight started 6 hours ago!

• Paid Members

I was clean shaven when the show started. I look like a white Kimbo now.

It's been a long slog, alright. Warren's shows are way too long and slow moving. You take a really good double main event that people are into, it seems like something impossible to fuck up, and you kill the crowd with endless dull fights between guys who don't finish.

No doubt the crowd will come alive from their slumber when the two big fights start, but surely a show never needs to be this long. It's counter productive. I was excited at the start, but these fights are a recipe for apathy. I've had it on since the start but my attention has drifted all night. Since the show started my sister and her kids have been and gone, we've had a takeaway, I've had to go out to drop my wife's sister home, came back, put my daughter to bed, had a long shit...and the main fights are still to come.

I wish I had a pound for every time these commentators said "looks like this one's going the distance" so far tonight.

Oh well, the fights I'm arsed about are next.

What is a WBO European title? It's not the actual proper European title as that belt is blue and the WBO European one isn't, also the real European title is 12 rounds, the WBO European one is only 10 rounds. Excuse me for the use of the word "European" so much there lol. 

This has been a killer of a wait, I could have went to the bar, watched the highlights of Arsenal, came back and still get back for the main two fights.

Well my predictions went to shit.

I actually think Eubank Jnr should have won. If he had stepped it up a bit earlier on, he would have probably got the nod on points. As it stood, 7-5 to BJS was a fair score. Still dislike BJS though.

Fury was measured and did what he needed to do. Del Boy was shocking, a different fighter to the one who was competitive with Vitali. 

• Paid Members

Its a retarded format. First off, 6 10/12 round fights is way too many for any show...but to run them in order in asking for trouble. There was a bout list released earlier in the week that had the Buglioni fight (and one other, might have been Mitchell Smith) going on after the main event or act acting as floaters depending on how quick fights end...why he switched that i don't know? But it backfired big time.

The main advertised fights need to be hitting the ring at peak time without question, the arena was emptying in the background during the main event. Its happened before on Warren shows too, if it was on a proper channel it would never happen. Its detremental to every person invloved or watching.

Eddie Hearns taken risks like it recently also (both PPV bills) but he got away with it cause there were some quick fights.

Having said that, if you look at the fight card individually it was actually a pretty good night save for the main event and perhaps Gavin/Skeete (depending on what you like), Saunders/Eubank most definitely delivered.

• Paid Members

Saunders vs Eubank was the only saving grace of last night's show for me. Turned into a really good fight, especially in the second half. Had Saunders 7-5 myself. I thought Eubank answered some questions though and it's the type of loss that'll be good for him. He never got smashed, it was competitive, he went 12 rounds, but he should be able to watch that back and learn a lot from it.

His movement and footwork lets him down a lot for me. It's something he can probably improve in time but the amount of times he left himself out of position and vulnerable to counters was the big issue IMO. His feet were all over the place at times. Against a bigger puncher than Saunders he'd probably have paid dearly for that.

There were positives as well though and he's young enough that he can build on them.

Fury vs Chisora was shit. Yeah Fury fought smart, there was a lot of good points about his performance. But fuck me it was dull. Fury just peppered him for 10 rounds, and Chisora did pretty much nothing. It's all well and good the commentators going 'the crowd were booing but I don't get why', easy to say that when you're getting paid to watch it. But when you've bought tickets, traveled, booked a hotel etc and the main event fight turns out to be a wet fart, you might feel like having a boo. But that's the risk you take buying tickets to any sporting event. Sometimes it'll be a letdown. But when you're sitting there until past 1am on top of that, because the pacing of the show is all to cock, I don't blame the booers one bit.

I thought it was a good performance from Eubank Jr, just because of the levels he jumped from. His style was very unorthodox and I thought when he hit a good shot in the earlier rounds, he stood and admired it for too long so BJS could jump on him. It did seem once Eubank Sr stopped doing the team talks and left it to Ronnie Davis: "BEAT HIM UP, BASH HIM UP, JUST BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF HIM!" the urgency needed was projected better. And he had never done 12 rounds before so they may have been concerned at him punching himself out too early, hence why he didn't press and bully BJS like he should have in the first half of the fight.

Edited by Rossman

• Paid Members

I dont think the loss harmed Eubank at all, he was schooled for 6 rounds but the second half of the fight was pretty much all his, he's a vicious fighter.

If he keeps a high level opposition id wager him to beat Saunders in a year or so's time.

• Paid Members

I've only just remembered this happened and seen the results here. The Saunders/Eubank fight looked good but I was turned off the card from the start by the fight between the fucking abysmal Chisora and the fucking awful Fury. Everytime I've heard Talksport try and claim it as a "big fight" in the last few months I've had to laugh. Glad to hear it was the shitfest these two shitarses always promised. Fuck anyone stupid enough to buy it!