Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

don't you just love it when the haters have something to hang their hat off :laugh:

i wouldn't say the card was a slog, the undercard (i saw from Quigg onwards), provided what everyone should have expected, it was a Matchroom showcase.

The main event was nowhere near as bad as some of you guys are making out but it fell way short of the hype. The fact that they may be below world class standard is irrelevant, if a fight is evenly matched and there's interest it can sell...its hard to guage how well the fight did but from my own experience a lot of people i know who have no real interest in boxing were watching the fight last night, that says something.

But regardless.... Cleverly came out with one of the strangest gameplans i can remember (rivalled by Algieri's later in the night), if Cleverly's gameplan was to flick jab his way to a decision he actually came pretty close. We can only thank him for getting heavy legged after 9 rounds because the final 4 rounds at least displayed some of the action we were hoping for going in. It was a horrid performance.

The Millenium Stadium chat was ridiculous though, both men seemed to think they were involved in some kind of mini-classic, im actually kind of glad the Sky team basically shot it down straight after cause unless a 3rd fight took place on the undercard of something massive that fight aint selling shit in Wales where Cleverly consistently fails to sell out the Motorpoint Arena.

• Paid Members

Lane's comments to Algieri were comical, one of the funniest things I have heard in a boxing fight, not just for the fact Pac flattened him with a huge left hand a few seconds later, but the fact Pac was completely destroying him.

yeh loved that, one of the most delusional things ive ever heard a corner man say.

"we got him just where we want him, im about to let Chris out of the cage"...BOINK, down he went for the 6th time in the fight :D

• Paid Members

During the fight I thought that Cleverley must have an injury to his right hand. To find out he didn't is really odd. Had he spent a lot of time watching Herol Graham fights, because that's what it reminded me of, the way he was flicking with the jab. If there is a third fight I will find something else to watch, paint drying, pro celebrity ditch digging, or Andy Murray Live At The Apollo would be preferable.

• Paid Members

To be fair, it doesn't mean you're a hater if you call a shit fight a shit fight. Bellew vs Cleverly was cack. I watched the Gloves Are Off and Ringside bits on Saturday in the end before the fight, and it did actually work on me a bit, I wanted to see the fight more than I did previously which is obviously the aim. But for all the hype of it as some big grudge match and all the talk from Bellew especially about what a beating he was going to give Cleverly, it was a massive wet fart of a letdown on the night. Paled in comparison to proper rivalries like Froch vs Groves, Benn vs Eubank etc. Obviously this wasn't anywhere near on that scale anyway, but when they go in like that after all the talk and piss about, is it any wonder their feud isn't looked at in the same light?

I'm glad I didn't pay for it. My brother ordered it and I bought the drink. Think I got the better end of that deal.

Now it's over to Mayweather, make the fight everybody wants to see happen. "He's going to fight me?!. He's going to fight me?" Classic

I can't stand Mayweather and if they do ever fight I'll be rooting for Pacquiao to knock his block off (although I've always thought Floyd dominates him), but wasn't Pacquiao recently offered a massive purse by Showtime to fight Mayweather and turned it down? It's all well and good him saying he wants the fight, but when you're offered $40 million and that's not enough, I'm not so sure he wants it that bad.

The $40 million offer stuff was coming from Stephen Espinoza from Showtime, so of course he could be embellishing it with Showtime's ties to Mayweather. But still, it's not like it's coming from Floyd or his team. Espinoza said they offered "$40 million plus a big upside".

Paulie Malignaggi has been tweeting about it as well;

@boxing4free nah bro Paq was offered 40 mil and 35 percent of the PPV by my boss at SHO, if we're gonna discuss the fight let's use facts.

@boxing4free @jDboxer1 Paq has been offered a huge amount of money for the fight, if he doesn't take it let's be real with this blame game

Not saying Floyd's been blameless either in the delays to getting a deal done. The blame should be shared between Mayweather and his team, Pacquiao and his team, and of course Bob Arum. But Pacquiao seems to me to be saying one thing publicly but his actions say otherwise. If Malignaggi's info is correct, why would Pacquiao turn down $40m plus 35% of the PPV? He's nuts if he still thinks he should get 50% of everything. That shipped sailed when he got robbed against Bradley, and it sunk when he got faceplanted by Marquez. $40m plus 35% of PPV is way more than he'll get fighting anyone else. He'd be mad to not take it. Especially this late in his career and with his well documented tax problems.

Just take the bastard money and let's get this fight on before one of them retires.

• Paid Members

To be fair, it doesn't mean you're a hater if you call a shit fight a shit fight. Bellew vs Cleverly was cack.

It doesn't, but when a lot of people were condemning the fight before it even took place, the fact that it panned out how it did is just adds fuel for the fire.

But be honest, even if you were unhappy that the fight was on PPV to begin with i don't think anyone expected it to play out like it did, i think everyone thought it would deliver in the ring to a certain extent. The first fight was very good and with the build up to this i dont think there were many people who would have called how the fight would play out. The whole problem with the thing was the PPV anyway, if the fight was on standard Sky no one would have batted an eyelid and it would not be getting the backlash it has (which is mixed, it isn't all negative).

• Paid Members

During the fight I thought that Cleverley must have an injury to his right hand. To find out he didn't is really odd.

He did admit his hand was injured in an interview with IFL TV after the fight, he said he hurt it in round 3.

Now it's over to Mayweather, make the fight everybody wants to see happen. "He's going to fight me?!. He's going to fight me?" Classic

I can't stand Mayweather and if they do ever fight I'll be rooting for Pacquiao to knock his block off (although I've always thought Floyd dominates him), but wasn't Pacquiao recently offered a massive purse by Showtime to fight Mayweather and turned it down? It's all well and good him saying he wants the fight, but when you're offered $40 million and that's not enough, I'm not so sure he wants it that bad.

The $40 million offer stuff was coming from Stephen Espinoza from Showtime, so of course he could be embellishing it with Showtime's ties to Mayweather. But still, it's not like it's coming from Floyd or his team. Espinoza said they offered "$40 million plus a big upside".

Paulie Malignaggi has been tweeting about it as well;

@boxing4free nah bro Paq was offered 40 mil and 35 percent of the PPV by my boss at SHO, if we're gonna discuss the fight let's use facts.

@boxing4free @jDboxer1 Paq has been offered a huge amount of money for the fight, if he doesn't take it let's be real with this blame game

Not saying Floyd's been blameless either in the delays to getting a deal done. The blame should be shared between Mayweather and his team, Pacquiao and his team, and of course Bob Arum. But Pacquiao seems to me to be saying one thing publicly but his actions say otherwise. If Malignaggi's info is correct, why would Pacquiao turn down $40m plus 35% of the PPV? He's nuts if he still thinks he should get 50% of everything. That shipped sailed when he got robbed against Bradley, and it sunk when he got faceplanted by Marquez. $40m plus 35% of PPV is way more than he'll get fighting anyone else. He'd be mad to not take it. Especially this late in his career and with his well documented tax problems.

Just take the bastard money and let's get this fight on before one of them retires.

Showtime and Espinoza know Pacquiao is contracted to HBO so to offer him that to fight Mayweather on a Showtime PPV is a non starter unless HBO allow pacquiao to freely go do it and that simply isn't going to happen. If be like HBO offering the same to Mayweather to come fight Pacquiao on HBO, unless he has a clause in his contract with Showtime where he can pay a certain amount of money to break the contact it doesn't work. For the fight to ever happen both TV companies would have to be willing to work together, because there is no way either is going to let their fighter go fight on a rival network unless compensated heavily and even then I would think it's highly debatable as even now the fight will make a fortune for everybody who is involved. I don't think Mayweather is fully to blame for what has happened, loads of people all involved in this from both sides at some point have got involved and stopped this from working out. It will take everybody to come together from the fighters, to Arum, Haymon, to HBO and Showtime to work out a deal that everybody is happy with. Whether that can happen, I'm not sure, the hope is that there is so much money for everyone to make, that it simply must as no other fight either fighter can have from here forward will come close to generating, here's hoping for Mayweather to blow most of his cash soon, if he does I'll believe it will happen.

• Paid Members

Tyson/Lewis was a joint venture of Showtime and HBO i believe. So lets all clutch to them straws. 

You'd think the money is too ridiculous for this fight not to happen. I can't actually believe it ain't happened yet.

• Paid Members

it's bonkers.

The fight seemed dead in the water after Pacquiao's two defeats but it's generating that interest again, not as much as before but its the fight people are talking about again.

Tragic if it doesn't happen.

• Paid Members

Ah balls to Mayweather vs Pacquiao. I'll believe it when I see it. And even then I won't believe it until it's done, dusted and in the record books.

Right, call 'em;

Fury vs Chisora 2

Saunders vs Eubank

Who have you got? I'm thinking Fury late TKO, Eubank points.

Tyson/Lewis was a joint venture of Showtime and HBO i believe. So lets all clutch to them straws. 

You'd think the money is too ridiculous for this fight not to happen. I can't actually believe it ain't happened yet.

It sure was and it shows if everyone comes together we can all get to see what we want to see.

I think it's easier to make the fight now then back then. Both knew if their fight didn't happen they could make big money fighting other guys that they should beat. The pay day for both and everyone else connected here is the biggest they will ever get by a distance, there is basically no one else left for either to fight. Pacquiao has Marquez 5 but Marquez won't ever sign to that, Mayweather possibly has rematches against Cotto or Canelo. The money come the end will be the only reason if it happens that it does take place, we all lose out if it doesn't happen, hopefully....finally common sense prevails and we get the fight next.

• Paid Members

Less of the double posting please Ebb, bud.

sorry blad, i still aint figured out how to quote different things within the same post...should have by now really.

anyways, Saturdays a weird one, the buzz for Fury/Chisora 2 has all but fizzled out, it's a shame because it was picking up steam before the canellation. If both men bring their A-game's its tough to call but i'll take Fury via late TKO.

Saunders/Eubank feels like the main event. I know we've banged on about manufactured hype and shit here but there's none of that in this fight, there's some genuine needle here and it aint pretty. It's almost impossible to predict cause Eubank has had nothing remotely resembling a test but Saunders confidence leads me to believe that he knows something we don't. Can't wait. Saunders Decision.