Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

did you catch the Ringside special Jim? it was quality.

I did, it was indeed quality. 

On that token. Johnny Nelson had some interesting comments this week saying he had heard Porter's camp are regretting taking the fight, and that Porter got schooled in sparring by  Demetrius Andrade a year ago (to be fair Andrade is in a higher weight class). Could be mind games, as Nelson is clearly friends with Brook due to their shared ties with the Ingle gym. 

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12936/9417348/shawn-porter-v-kell-brook-johnny-nelson-says-champion-is-not-as-good-as-they-say

There is a air of mystery around tonight, as I am not sure what to expect. The undercard is quality and it is free on SKY Sports. Ticks all the boxes for me, really looking forward to it all.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

there's been rumors going around (Paul Smith alluded to it on Ringside a few weeks back) that Porter's been on the juice too...he didn't say exactly what he meant but he said something along the lines of it's 'well known in the industry'. Given Porter's advancing reputation i imagine he's under further scrutiny from testers.

Just adds to the mystery :nerd:

Chuffed with that

Had it around 116-112  to Kell, I preferred the cleaner shots he landed.

Jim Watt is a bit crap these days.

This was pretty much my card, round for round. - http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Shawn-Porter-vs-Kell-Brook-Showtime-Boxing-PlaybyPlay-Live-Updates-71981

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

i scored it a draw 115-115 but i really had no idea. Porter's early work won him most of the early rounds and whilst he kept the same tactic it was more ineffective the longer the fight went on...he must be an absolute nightmare to fight though, just a little bull of a fighter. So happy for Brook, i really didn't think he was gonna get the nod at the end, epsecially when they announced the wide score.

Brook-Thurman

Brook-Khan

im on board for either!

It was 2 and 7 that Watt gave to Porter that I disagreed with (he also had the 12th a draw). Brook landed clean shots in those rounds, and really buzzed Porter on the bell in the 7th. The first round was pretty close as well. I can see where the 117-111 card came from. 

I am up for both fights mentioned above. Hearn is planning a homecoming fight for Kell at the end of the year. I think they may give him a routine first defense. Khan's plans seem very sketchy. I would not be shocked if he fights Alexander at the end of the year.

Given both win, they could try and do a soccer stadium for Brook vs Khan early next Summer. But then again, would Khan not want to chase Floyd?

A lot of ifs and buts. Should be very exciting though

Is Frank Maloney in the middle of a nervous breakdown or something?

This a rumor I read elsewhere, to add context I will add the video

After David Price lost the rematch to Tony Thompson, speculation suggests that Price's backers belittled Maloney in the bar afterwards, and that Maloney might have been in a bit of bother with them. 

He was a wreck afterwards.

That's crazy, Kells purse was only £100k for the fight last night. But it looks like he gained a lot of respect and new fans stateside who enjoyed his precise, solid punching as opposed to octupus hands windmilling his way around.

I was watching this new boxing show earlier called BKB (Big Knockout Boxing). The boxers fight in a circle with banked curves like being in a giant plate. The rounds are shorter and there are fewer of them to try and make the fights more action packed. The only fighters I recognised were Brian Vera & Gabriel Rosado which was the main event. It looked different but more of a gimmick that won't last long. Michael Buffer was announcing and Robert Garcia was doing colour commnetary.

302asnm.jpg

• Paid Members

shit, Maloney's in a bad way in that video, poor fucker.

As for Big Knockout Boxing, it's another one of those new fighting concepts that pops up every 6 months (X-Arm, YAMMA, Bare Knuckle Boxing) or so, they always seem to last 1 or 2 shows then disappear. Always feels like someone's trying to create the new UFC.

• Paid Members

I loved X-Arm, just because it was so fucking stupid. It felt like one of those stupid sports they make up in humorous sci-fi futures, like the Olympic Sex event in Judge Dredd.

• 2 weeks later...