Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

holy shit, Miguel Cotto was in beast mode last night. All the talk of the size defining how the fight played out were not a factor, Cotto came out on fire and simply beat on Martinez for 10 rounds. Considering Martinez has been knocked down in 6 of his last 10 fights and his knees are fucked i think it's probably best he calls it a day.

i went 2-0 in the boxing betting stakes, i need one fight to come in on last night's UFC for

• Paid Members

Nice one on the bet, Guy.

Rossman - I didn't see the Andy Lee fight but just looking at the gif there, that comparison is spot on. Eerily similar to Julian Jackson's KO of Herol Graham.

Chuffed Cotto won. He looked fantastic. There's definitely something to be said that Martinez declining played a part in just how one sided it was, but Cotto's own performance was excellent as well. He was on fire right from the off last night.

Only saw bits and pieces of the Eubank Jr fight, Sr is still the man. Best cornerman ever!

• Paid Members
What did Chris Eubank Sr say?

Nothing. Fuck all. Just obtherved the thcene as only he can, in his little waistcoat, then swaggered back out of the ring without saying a word.

The fight is probably on YouTube by now. Have a look. Search Chris Eubank Jr vs Stephan Horvath and skip to the end of the first round.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Is all of this Chris Eubank (senior) stuff a work? Hate to sound all "wrestling", but is he acting or is he a legit headcase? I was watching some panel show with him, Steve Collins and Calzaghe on Sky and he was spouting some absolutely mental stuff.

• Paid Members

i think it's a bit of both, the guy loves to play it up for the camera's...weirdly on Saturday he put on a bit of a show in the corner, then when he was asked about it post-fight he got a little offended and said the spotlight should be on his son :laugh:

the weird thing with Eubank Jr. is that even though he's clearly very talented, he's riling up fans the wrong way because he's trying to add elements of his dad's routine into his style and it comes off a little too much like an act, still you can't deny that the guy's one of the most must-see prospects in UK boxing. He's also way over-due a step up in competition, if he was more conventional it probably wouldn't feel that way so much but when you see him toying with with European opponents its a little frustrating to watch...i think the Kerry Hope fight is still happening in July, looking forward to that.

• Paid Members

quiet weekend for boxing, but this goes down Saturday night (on Sky):

Provodnikov-Algieri-25x37.png

Provodnikov is must see for me, always fun to watch, total warrior...and the undercard features Britain's Brian Rose getting unlikely World Title shot, its one of those ones where the Brit unfortunately appears to be in way over his head, but who knows?

• Paid Members

I wish Rose well, and I hope this doesn't read as a dismissal as I'm not saying he's bad, but I've always seen him as a very good domestic level fighter who might be able to have some success at European level. I've never seen anything to suggest that he will be able to mix it at world class. He's not a puncher and while he's a good boxer he's never struck me as being good enough to get by on his boxing at the upper levels.