Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Benn Eubank was on ITV Bifkin. A few years before PPV. I still masturbate furiously to the majestic Big Fight Live theme.

And Gary Newbon going spastic, tearing off his shirt and thumping his chest and tits shouting 'come on, come on then'

• Paid Members
As I understand it, HBO had Groves winning the first four rounds.

The HBO gang don't like Froch & do whatever they can to undermine him, I think this is mainly due to Andre Ward being no.1 in that division and them trying to ram it down your throat all the time. Take the Kessler/Froch fight they were showing. Lampley told everyone in the broadcast this fight is between no.2 & no.3 in the division. No.1 in the division Andre Ward is the man standing to my right. And last night in their summary Max Kellerman said, "Froch has the characteristics like the last great British fighter, Joe Calzaghe to keep going up through the gears and giving more than their opponent. Unless that opponent is Andre Ward of course, who is the best fighter in the world." Floyd Mayweather doesn't exist in HBO land.

3148dw4.gif

Hearn was asked at the weigh-in Q&A about Ward and he said 'Andre Ward couldn't sell out his living room', so i don't think they have any interest in that. If Froch is going to go to Vegas to fight it's probably either gonna be against Chavez Jr. which is the money fight or a fight with Sakio Bika which will have another belt on the line, it'll be one of those two i think...both fights could be absolute barn-burners too, Froch/Bika would be crazy.

I think we can rule out any possibility of a James DeGale fight, at this stage in his career i don't see why he'd take that fight, it'll never top last Saturday.

• Paid Members

i don't think the Ward fight will happen, it's the one blemish left on Froch's record yet to be avenged but it's a horrible match-up and there's more money to be made elsewhere.

• Paid Members

here's a couple of pics i took Saturday...

10390101_10152441841527604_212690955439071692_n.jpg

10363860_10152441848582604_1798469840523123186_n.jpg

10389520_10152441841157604_3310524285629755488_n.jpg

10441143_10152441840347604_700736814650145698_n.jpg

10360351_10152441850702604_7341426644980474419_n.jpg

gotta mention as well that i bumped into promoter Spencer Fearon on Wembley Way before the show, just about as nice a guy you could ever meet, it was almost like he felt he needed to justify why we stopped and asked for a photo, guy was a class act.

• Paid Members
And for those who watched on Sky, was Jim Watt's commentary really that bad? it was all over twitter and my dad mentioned last night that he basically had Froch winning every round. I had Groves slightly ahead live but it can come across way different on TV.

I thought Watt was spot on at half way. He had Groves winning round 2, which I agreed with, and Froch the other 5. I then had Groves winning the next for 5-2 and he was up in the 8th before the KO.

I could see an argument that it was only 4-3 Froch after 7, there was another close round. However the fact that some judges had Groves ahead baffled the life out of me. Froch was dominant, he took the centre of the ring and dictated the fight, both the pace and the tactics. He stepped in and hurt groves with some wonderful combinations.

Groves hit some nice clean shots at times, perhaps more scoring shots is my only guess, but it isn't the Olympics. I'm glad it didn't go down to the judges because that would have been a bigger travesty than the first fight.

As for the commentary, I thought it was very biased towards Groves. Nick Halling wet his fucking knickers every time Groves threw a left and Watt seemed to begrudgingly acknowledge Froch's dominance after a few rounds. Was surprised he had him so far ahead.

Funniest bit was Glenn Whatshisface. Spent the pre-match spouting about a Groves win and then afterwards tried to justify his very incorrect POV with "This was a different Carl Froch". Really? Different to the absolute Warrior we've seen so many a time? He was only different in that he took the fight a little more seriously than the first one and every man and their dog was lining up to say that last week. Plum.

• Paid Members
I could see an argument that it was only 4-3 Froch after 7, there was another close round. However the fact that some judges had Groves ahead baffled the life out of me.

Groves at the press conference was saying he thought he was winning comfortably and I'm sure I even heard him say he was "dominating" Froch with his jab. I guess you have to cut him some slack though, coming out of the ring without yet having watched it back. Plus of course he's going to act like he was winning. Using the word "dominating" was mad though.

I had it 5-2 to Froch as well. Barely heard the commentary at all because I had a house full, but without even hearing it I can believe Glenn McCrory and/or Jim Watt were shit. I've never been a fan of Watt, to be honest. I usually find he harps on negatives a fighter is doing so much, even if it's a minor thing, that it can really ruin your enjoyment of a fight. To be fair, I can't criticize his work on this fight because I didn't really hear him, as I said. But I won't exactly miss him when he eventually pisses off from the commentary booth.

Just want to say I agree with everything Tiger Rick said above. The commentary was ridiculously biased to Groves and you could tell they were desperate for a Groves win. It just made me want to see a Froch KO win even more

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, David Haye pretty much confirmed after the show on Saturday, that he's fighting again by the end of the year. He said something like 'If I was a betting man, I'd bet I'll be fighting sometime around September/October'.

Adam Booth was asked if Haye would fight the Fury-Chisora winner but he said he'd rather Haye take a couple of fights to get back in there first before doing something big.

I reckon it'll be Froch vs Chavez Jr in Vegas. Bigger name than Bika, easier fight than Ward.

No one looks good against Bika

Chavez Jr is perfect for Froch style wise. Could be a cracker of a fight, and Froch should win. Chavez is also a bigger name stateside than Ward, so on paper that fight ticks all the boxes.

Glad to see you had a good time EBB :thumbsup: