Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fury definitely hadn't put muscle on, he was in horrible shape. That said he still looked like Tyson Fury, he was moving around pretty well for a while but got drawn into a brawl, it wasn't pretty but like most Tyson Fury fights it was entertaining, he got the KO in round 4.

There was a moment after the first knockdown that summed up Tyson Fury's career perfectly. Abell was taking a count and in the opposide corner Fury was bent over hopelessly trying to pick up his gum shield with his boxing gloves, what a big clumsy fucker.

Chisora/Johnson was alright in bursts but id be quite happy if i never saw another Kevin Johnson fight in my life. Steve Bunce said afterwards its was the most frustrating performance hes ever seen, the guys got all the skills but he's just so lazy in the ring. Chisora was his typical, boaring forward with massive overhands, just so hard to look good against a guy like Johnson though.

As for the show, Frank Warren needs to sort out the pacing of his shows. Ive complained about it before, but when the main event is running until 12.30 at night there's a problem, the arena was notably much emptier by the time Del Boy came out...Warren must realise that people have lifts home and shit. Chisora should have been in the ring by 10.30 tops. The shows just seem to last forever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

well i dunno if anyone saw the Sky Sports show on Saturday but it was fucking fantastic, outside of the Luke Campbell workout there were 3 quality fights, 2 were eespecially good.

If there's a more feelgood moment in sport this year than seeing Curtis Woodhouse pick up the British title, fulfill a promise he made to his dying father, then retire it's gonna have to pretty fucking special. Great fight with Darren Hamilton.

Curtis-Woodhouse-celebrat-011.jpg

That was the story of the night, but the fight of the night was Tommy Coyle/Daniel Brizuela. Think was meant to be a bit of a workout for Coyle before setting a World Title eliminator with Kevin Mitchell for the summer. Brizuela came in with other ideas, point deductions, 8 knockdown (8!) and just an absolute war, seriously find a copy...

Eddie Hearn is on a roll.

Big day of fights on Sat with Burns vs Crawford live on Sky Sports from 19:00 PM and over on BoxNation from 02:00 AM it's the rematch between Chavez Jr vs Vera and the WBO title fight between Salido and Lomachenko.

Crawford comes into the fight against Burns as the fav, but it's his first time fighting outside of America and hes going into the Lion's den by facing Burns in Glasgow. Hes a good fighter who was impressive as a amateur, but in the pro ranks his biggest win was against Prescott in his last fight and he moved up to 140lbs from 135lbs in that fight. Burns hasn't looked too good in his last couple of fights, suffered bad jaw injury in his last one and was lucky to have it scored a draw where most felt he lost. I can see good arguments for why both guys will come out with the W, but I'm going to go with Burns to grind out a victory on a close points decision.

I'm not too fussed by the Chavez Jr and Vera fight, their last one was close but I expect Chavez Jr to fight a lot better this time and win by either last stoppage or via UD.

Lomachenko vs Salido is one I'm really looking forward too. Lomachenko attempting to win a world title in only his second pro fight is something incredible, but he's going in against someone in Salido who is a tough Mexican who has years of experience in the pro ranks, strong work rate,been in with a lot of very good fighters and can bang. It's such a interesting fight but Lomachenko is something very special and I expect him to come through with a stoppage between rounds 7-9.

• Paid Members

Saensak Muangsurin (3)

Won the belt in 1975. Lost it 3 fights later. Ended up 14/6.

Whilst looking i came across the youngest... None other than Wilfred Benitez at 17.

Edited by Fox Piss

Lomachenko had 6 pro fights for the World Boxing Series No headgears and he was paid for them. The catch is even though they are pro fights, you can still go back to amateur status. Top Rank are pretending they didn't happen so they can make "history" whereas someone of the quality of Lomachenko is perfectly capable of doing that with his own ability.

I'm looking forward to the Burns/Crawford fight tonight. It should be a good atmosphere, but I expect Crawford to grind out a clear points win.

• Paid Members

it is a ridiculous night of fights...if any of you dont have Sky/Boxnation and are waiting until tomorrow to get hold of stuff, Channel 5 has live boxing on tonight, James DeGale continues his run of what feels like meaningless fights, it's an eliminator to get into a world title eliminator :laugh: DeGale's talking a big game going in though.

• Paid Members

Hector Alfredo Avila is a good opponent for Joshua and he did go nine rounds with Chisora. That said it was a bored and disinterested Chisora who was coming off a series of fights with name opponents and who wasn't up for a fight with an opponent who he seemed to perceive as some random bloke from Argentina.

Edited by nfc90210

So Terence Crawford schooled Ricky Burns with relative ease. I had it 119 - 112 with a bunch of rounds being draws. They could have swung the other way (hometown bias) and been points for Burns which would have made the official scorecards of 116 - 112 seem less ridiculous. Jim Watt was his usual annoying self on commentary, declaring after 5 minutes that Crawford wasn't as good as he thought he was. Then spending the rest of the fight talking about Ricky's jaw bothering him, hence why he was doing fuck all. Giving little credit to Crawford's slick movement, fast jabs and nullifying every Burns attack. Crawford fought away from home against a multi weight world champion, never gone 12 rounds and has a third of the ring experience as Ricky has and still cruised it. Saying this wasn't the normal Ricky Burns was a fallacy, its the same guy against someone much better than him.

• Paid Members

Just a real professional job by Crawford. I think you can tell by his post match interview his never going to capture the general public imagination but it will be a real good fighter who beats him.

"The Ricky Burns who dealt with (A faded) Katsidis and (A European level) Mitchell would deal with him"

Oh Jim!

Welcome to the pro-ranks Lomachenko! Salido was too crafty for him and just applied the pressure constantly. There were a lot of positives to come out of it, like Lomachenko wasn't tired after 12 rounds, his chin & body stayed up to some powerful punches and he had Salido rocking at the end. It was just too much too soon. I had Salido winning 116-114.

JCC Jr. vs. Brian Vera was a rough-house, scrappy battle. Vera kept charging forward like he did in the first fight but didn't have as much success with hitting the target. Chavez kept picking him off with heavy punches everytime he came forward. Chavez wouldn't get on the scales for an unofficial weigh-in but from the size of him, he looked like a cruiserweight. Comfortable win for Chavez, I had it 118-111.

Arthur Abraham put on a methodical performance to win the WBO Super Middleweight belt back from Robert Stieglitz. Stieglitz was amped up throwing a lot of punches but not everything was connecting flush. Abraham was taking his spots as a counter puncher and did a good job. It was the 12th round that turned the fight. Stieglitz was winning it comfortably but a mixture of an Abraham flurry & tiredness caused Stieglitz to take a knee. If he had stayed on his feet, the fight would have been a draw. I had Abraham winning 114-113.