Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Froch was hated prior to the Groves fight. Mostly Calzaghe fans who couldn't take his success or people who didn't like his arrogance and the fact he had a hot wife with that nose.

I love him though. Groves with his Rematch or Retire shite is grating on me. Wonder if Degale asked him for one?

Hopefully Froch bins GG off and goes out to Vegas and gets the more winnable fight against Chavez.

• Paid Members

Carl Froch is still the man Eeryone wants to see the Groves rematch but i can see why Groves wouldn't want to take it, it's easy to say Froch should wanna right the wrong of the first fight, but since the fight the backlash to the actual fight has died down a little, it wasn't as outrageous as everyone made out on the first viewing (and i was in that group).

You can't blame Froch for wanting to score a big fight in Vegas, he's never done it and that pretty much the pinnacle for a prize fighter, if he took a second Groves fight and lost it that would be the end of that.

Groves was saying the offer came with many stipulations and options he felt were unsatisfactory and that he was unsure why Froch issued that statement as he was under the impression they were still in negotiations, he also was saying he was hopeful IBF would agree with his request and tell Froch he has to fight Groves within 90 days or be stripped of title, based on what poster above said Groves has got his wish and that benefits him much more then it would have if the IBF refused.

if anyone plans on watching the David Price fight on Boxnation tomorrow, he's due in the ring just after 6pm.

Just seen that Airich failed a medical and has been replaced by Istvan Ruzsinszky. Price is 1/100 in the betting, can't see it being a long fight.

I knew Groves had something up his sleeve.

To the poster saying Froch has always been disliked, it is true he was disliked by pockets of fans, but he only really became well known the past few years, now he is a fighter most casual boxing fans love thanks to SKY. Again, I do like him, but god he can be a arrogant so and so, with no charm to it. It will be interesting who gets cheered if the rematch happens, it may dependent where the fight is held, if its London Groves well be the hero.

I like Groves to win the rematch fair and square.

If Froch goes to Vegas, I think he beats Chavez though.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know much about the Frank Warren shooting in 1989? I've always heard bits and bobs about it but details are always vague. I know all the stuff about it allegedly being Terry Marsh who was wielding the gun, but the jury found him not guilty so fuck knows.

I ask because I just saw an old Warren interview where he was asked about the shooting and said;

"Yeah it was a bit of a shock. I mean, you don't expect that to happen. I got out of the car and, I actually thought it was a joke to start with, thought someone was messing around but they obviously weren't."

"More importantly, it was the aggravation it caused me. And whilst I was in hospital there were all sorts of stories going around, you know what the press is like. And I sued quite a few of the newspapers, they tried to allege it was over things that it wasn't. Cut a long story short, it caused me a lot of problems. It absolutely nearly sent me bust. When I got shot there was a real bad recession on. Interest rate was sixteen per cent, I was just refinancing the arena, I had a consortium of banks that were going to take equity in it. And that all fell apart. I had to discharge myself from hospital, because I had no choice. I was out of hospital after, I think, five or six days. I went in probably weighing about thirteen stone, I came out weighing nine stone. But I had no choice."

"In some ways you get angry, but in other ways, I believe what goes around comes around. I didn't know then who it was, but I know now who it was. And believe you me, they've had a real crap time. So you get paid back in other ways."

Does anyone know any more about this? It's a subject that's always fascinated me for some reason. I think more because of what isn't said than what is said whenever it comes up.

It does not sound like it was Terry Marsh. I just read his wiki, and there is source material saying that the ammo he was found to possess, did not suit the gun used to shoot Warren.

If I was to hazard a guess, it might be some no-name London Gangster who got fucked over by Warren somehow. If you think about it, its not like anyone gets named in connection of the shooting, even today with the advent of twitter, facebook and eastsideboxing, I have not read much about it. If someone was connected to it with a big name, I think it would slip out.

Given Warren's enemy list, if there was something to spill it would come out somehow, no matter how much he threatens people with legal action.

• Paid Members

dunno if any of you are aware, but the Ortiz/Collazo fight happens this Thursday in America, it's one of them midweek Golden Boy shows, never a dull moment when Victor Ortiz is in the ring so it's gotta be worth tuning in for (and sorts out what i'll be doing Friday night).

OrtizVsCollazo_532x290_medium.jpg

According to badlefthook, Eddie Gomez on the undercard is a future PPV superstar in the making, so im gonna check him out as well.

That was a bad loss for Ortiz, hard to see where he goes from here. There were some good shots from Collazo right at the end of the second round, Ortiz was doing alright in the first round but after that became a little wild and could even say after the few blows he took, he went down on his knees and took a ten count, basically quit. Collazo was saying afterwards that Ortiz told him afterwards he would be retiring from the sport, so will have to wait and see what happens, I'd be surprised if he doesn't fight again.

So we got Golovkin vs Adama tomorrow night, fight due to start around 20:45pm UK time on BoxNation. Adama isn't a bad fighter, took Geale who was IBF champ until he lost to Barker last year to the distance too, but obviously GGG is a different beast altogether. Adama do very well to hear the final bell in the fight, can't see it myself, I think Golovkin takes his time like he did in his last fight and then takes him out of there somewhere between six-eight rounds.

Edited by Gooner

• Paid Members

win or lose you always know something wild is going to happen when Victor Ortiz fights, unfortunately he always seems to be on the end of it. Dropped badly by Collazo, that was as clean a right hook as you're likely to see. Oscar De La Hoya has called for Ortiz to retire, the guys just 27 but he seems to have things going on outside of boxing so it may be a wise move.

Yeh tomrrow looks like it's gonna be a bit of a highlight reel type deal for GGG, still it's always great to see the guy in the ring, what a killer.

The big Cardiff show tomorrow too, im fucking devastated i can't go (im actually in Cardiff but im off to a gig), one of the biggest all Welsh clashes in years in Rees/Buckland. Rendall Munroe/Lee Selby and the return of Anthony Joshua, it's gonna be a good one.