Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I'll be watching that, definitely. Anthony Joshua is headlining as well. And it's sad but I'll always tune in for James Toney fights no matter how far gone he is. I can think of worse things to watch on a Thursday night, and I'm off work for a bit anyway.

That's the thing though, even in his prime he had all distractions outside the ring, problems with his management, problems with his discipline and weight. He coasted by mostly on pure talent even back then from what I've read. Obviously the bad habits have got worse over the years and now he's a fat fuck.

Makes sense

I will be watching Prizefighter on Thursday, should be a good laugh. Wish Audley was on though.

missed the boxing over the weekend, i read Donaire didn't look great though :(

Darchinyan did make him look average. But in the end he couldn't handle Donaire's power and he hit Darchinyan with the same punch that finished the first fight. Donaire said he wanted to face Rigondeaux again which would be a big mistake. Big Dave Batista was at the show carrying the flag of the Philippines for Donaire.

• Paid Members

Finally got around to watching the Legendary Nights: Gatti-Ward documentary. Loved it. Hard to watch at times but they did the trilogy justice. Micky Ward always comes across as one of the nicest blokes on Earth anytime I hear him speak. I always loved that clip of him and Gatti in hospital after the third fight as well.

I'm not a person who gets choked up easily, and when Jim Lampley seemed to be grizzling every time he spoke I kind of rolled my eyes and thought 'fuck me, Americans, always with the crying and drama.' But that bit at the end where Gatti's daughter is reading her Dad's Hall Of Fame plaque, I did feel a bit choked up at that.

I'm glad they didn't dwell too much on his death though. They had to talk about it obviously, but there are a few documentaries solely on his death out there already and it would have been a shame if this, which was meant to be a tribute to the Ward trilogy, became bogged down on the tragedy of how Gatti's life ended.

Gatti vs Ward 1 is what really got me back into boxing. I remember growing up as a massive Nigel Benn fan and when he retired I kind of lost a bit of love for it. I'd watch the odd fights after that but never really followed it. But Gatti vs Ward 1 came at a time where I'd been pulled back in by the chaos surrounding Lewis vs Tyson. In fact, I might be remembering wrong, maybe someone knows, but I'm sure Gatti vs Ward 1 was shown on the Sky Box Office version of the Lewis vs Tyson PPV. It happened just a few weeks before Lewis vs Tyson and I could swear they showed a tape of the fight during the 7 or 8 hour marathon on Sky Box Office. Memory is hazy but I think that's when I first saw it, and I was blown away. From that day on I was hooked again and it's lasted to this day. That's how awesome Gatti vs Ward was.

Easily the best trilogy in combat sports for me. I love MMA but no trilogy in MMA can touch Gatti vs Ward. And no other boxing trilogy quite does it either for me. And I've seen Ali vs Frazier 3 fights, Marquez vs Vasquez 4 fights, Chacon vs Limon 4 fights, Pacquiao vs Marquez 4 fights, Holyfield vs Bowe 3 fights. Gatti vs Ward is better than all of them for my money.

Think I'll rewatch the lot again soon.

• Paid Members

Dark Trade is a fantastic read mate. What I like about it is the book doesn't focus too much on one boxer. But it still goes into great detail on the likes of James Toney, Roy Jones, Mike Tyson, Oscar De La Hoya, among others. I found it an excellent book and it's one of the first I always recommend on here when anyone asks what boxing books to get. The Toney stuff is especially interesting. At 1p as well, that's a great buy!

Speaking of boxing books, anyone got this yet?

517usO-8AHL._SY300_.jpg

Only been out a few weeks. Think I'll get it next payday.

Mike Tyson's got a new autobiography coming out on Nov 21st as well. It's called Undisputed Truth.

Just noticed big Larry was in this and read up on his ban bein cut from 4 years to 1.....bit farcical.

I remember him in highlight reels on ringside a few years ago just smashing people for fun and the sheer size of him reminded me of Bob Sapp in a way. That being said he was raw as hell and all out attack with little finesse; this format would be ideal for him but then again anybody with decent defense could pick him off and stay away from the big shots to nick a decision.

• Paid Members

York Hall exploding with WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO's came across great.

Prizefighter is on it's last legs though. Hopefully casuals see the normal boxing is on a high at minute though and tune in on Saturdays.