Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I think Floyd's resume is scattered with some real decent wins.

De Le Hoya (Who was much bigger and at the tail end of his peak

Marquez (Outclassed a fighter who is still at his peak right now)

Hatton (The best version, who remember beat some decent names himself)

Cotto (Again at the tail end of his peak)

Gatti (See Cotto)

I get the word "tail end " is used a lot so I get what you mean when you see "right time" but the way he which he beat the above is what is most impressive. Hatton, Gatti and Marquez he outclassed, De Le Hoya he beat despite a size advantage and Cotto he was forced to fight out of his comfort zone and still won. I could add some more decent scalps like Mosley, Ortiz and Judah, but I would expect them to be dismissed (for valid reasons)

I would expect people to say "remember when he outclassed Marquez" or "remember when he took on a unbeaten Hatton and knocked him out"

The best maybe yet come also as well. I think he can be easily compared to some of the names you are listing in terms of regard.

Edited by jimufctna24

I think he can be easily compared to some of the names you are listing in terms of regard.

I guess time will tell, but I just don't see people talking about his bouts with Marquez, Hatton or De La Hoya over thirty years from now in the same way they talk about Leonard/Duran, or Hearns/Haggler.

I don't think he'll be held in the same regard at that point as those fighters either. Time will tell though.

• Paid Members

I thought you were calling Hagler a Gangsta then Keith, until I noticed the typos above. Marvin wasn't a haggler as far as I know, probably why Leonard got all the big money contracts.

I just don't see people talking about his bouts with Marquez, Hatton or De La Hoya over thirty years from now in the same way they talk about Leonard/Duran, or Hearns/Haggler.

Maybe not but those were wars, Mayweather outclassed 2/3 of the names you mentioned easily. He hasn't had the wars but that's because no-one's been able to drag him into one. You say he chooses the right time to take fights which is true. But what about Pacquiao? Fought a one eyed Margarito, had opponents boil themselves down to a weights he wanted. Even your Leonard comparison - he avoided Hagler for years until he watched him go through hell to beat John Mugabe, decided Hagler was ripe for the picking and suddenly became up for it.

It's gone on forever, and not just Mayweather.

I thought you were calling Hagler a Gangsta then Keith, until I noticed the typos above. Marvin wasn't a haggler as far as I know, probably why Leonard got all the big money contracts.

I just don't see people talking about his bouts with Marquez, Hatton or De La Hoya over thirty years from now in the same way they talk about Leonard/Duran, or Hearns/Haggler.

Maybe not but those were wars, Mayweather outclassed 2/3 of the names you mentioned easily. He hasn't had the wars but that's because no-one's been able to drag him into one. You say he chooses the right time to take fights which is true. But what about Pacquiao? Fought a one eyed Margarito, had opponents boil themselves down to a weights he wanted. Even your Leonard comparison - he avoided Hagler for years until he watched him go through hell to beat John Mugabe, decided Hagler was ripe for the picking and suddenly became up for it.

It's gone on forever, and not just Mayweather.

Good point. Leonard did the same with Duran. Leonard took $10m from the first fight and Duran got $2m. By this point Duran would eat and drink excessively in his downtime and wouldn't train. Leonard knew this, so pushed for a rematch to be set up as quickly as possible and gave Duran $6m to sweeten the deal. Ray Arcel bit their hand off because he thought Duran was ripe for a big loss, so tried to get the biggest payday out of it. Duran was on the Ricky Hatton diet and had ballooned up to 200lbs and had to go through hell to get back down to 147lbs. They tried to postpone the fight because he wasn't ready but Don King wouldn't let them.

Yeah so looking at Leonards record - he has a past it Hagler and a Duran who wasn't fighting at his best weight. So lets take them 2 names from his record and you only really have Hearns and Benitez that are defining fights. Granted todays casual fan will look at Dicky Ecklund and Floyd Mayweather snr but only due to the film and having an awesome boxing son. So 20 years from now like many do with Leonard (forgotter hagler was past his best), do you think they'll look at floyds record the same?

Answer to earlier question - Other boxers work hard yes, but this man has done it since he was barely walking. I've seen his training schedule and no one works harder. He does 4 hour sessions with no rest, runs 5 minute miles. He is just unreal in that aspect.

Just to also clarify to any pacman lovers. Pacman fought David Diaz, then from there he fought a seriously weight drained De La hoya who they demanded make that low weight, fought a burned out Ricky Hatton who's aura had been shattered by Floyd, he made Cotto boil down in weight and beat him, then he gladly fought Clottey had his weight, Made a one eyed Margarito make 150 rather than 154. Then came some Allegations about some substances, following these allegations he fought Mosley in an unimpressive performance, Marquez in a debatable SD, Bradley in a robbery and Marquez again in a ko loss.

So Leonard and Pacman get so much praise but really if you want to be critical. there is far more room for scrutiny in their records than Floyds

Will any of that matter in the grand scheme of things though? Right or wrong, Leonard, HaGler, Hearns and Duran are all remembered fondly and for being complete warriors who fought in some of the most enthralling fights in the history of the sport.

Mayweather will more than likely (in my opinion) be remembered as a fast, technically efficient fighter who fought smart to preserve his unbeaten record, and who made a lot of money.

I can't see him being remembered as a real great, in the same breath as those mentioned above. It may not be right, but that's how I think it'll play out.

• Paid Members

i disagree, Mayweather will go down as one of the greatest...in 2-3 years time if he's still undefeated i think there'll be some serious talk of whether or not he was the greatest. You can question the career course but i think a lot of boxers can be found guilty of avoiding certain fights, it's a frustrating part of the fight business that's always gonna exist though when you're commanding the sort of cash Floyd is.

Still, 22 successive title defences can't be wrong?...it's the ease at which Floyd does it that's so impressive, outside of a questionable decision in the first Castillo fight (which he put right in the rematch), Floyd's defeated good figthers with ease, and he's still doing it at 36.

He's a special fighter, Saturday was a master class...it wasn't a terribly exciting fight but Floyd was simply on another level. It ended up being one of them fights that after 3 rounds you just knew it was in the bag, he did come real close to finishing it at a few point though.

i disagree, Mayweather will go down as one of the greatest...in 2-3 years time if he's still undefeated i think there'll be some serious talk of whether or not he was the greatest.

Greater than Ali?

• Paid Members

well, i don't think anyone's ever going to be overtake Ali's position as the 'Greatest' to the average person, but to boxing insider's and hardcore fans i think Mayweather may end up on top of certain lists.