Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The Cotto fight last year was excellent though. It was helped by Cotto doing better than expected, not so much on the scorecards but in terms of making the rounds more competitive than people were expecting. Still, it takes two to tango and it was a great fight, one of my favourites of 2012 and there were a lot of good fights last year.

Personally, I love watching Mayweather fight. They're not Pacquiao type fights in excitement, but it's great to watch someone that skillful do their thing. His performances over the years, methodically taking apart good fighters like Hatton, Corrales and Gatti were some of the most impressive displays I've ever seen.

My favourite boxers are usually the non-stop, aggressive and exciting fighters like Gatti, Benn and Duran. But watching someone like a Mayweather or James Toney in his prime, brilliant defensive boxers with ridiculous timing and accuracy, can be entertaining in it's own way.

All access has been better then I thought it might be and so were the two Mayweather docs. Looking forward to the fight tonight, I'm expecting Guerrero to put up a great fight and push May all the way. He's been waiting and wanting this fight for over two years now abd considering only his second fight at the weight he has filled into the change pretty well. I reckon May wins on points in a tough, hard gruelling fight.

Floyd was excellent last night, it was credit to his performance that I thought the wide 117-111 scorecards were a bit generous to Guerrero. That 8th round where he stepped it up was Floyd at his very best, his defense was on point all night. He made Guerrero look a novice at times, like he has done to so many in the past. I always say David Haye is my favorite boxer of my generation, but Floyd is not far behind and for my money (no pun intended) is the very best, better than Pac Man or Martinez.

It is all natural talent, his reflexes, speed and timing are all pinpoint even in his late 30's which is a tribute to his safety first style. The only thing I think can defeat Floyd is age and if last night is anything to go by it will be a long time yet. Would love him to fight Khan over hear so I could go see him in the flesh, I think his next massive bout will be with Alverez in a year or so, who is next for him is anyone's money.

Floyd was excellent last night, it was credit to his performance that I thought the wide 117-111 scorecards were a bit generous to Guerrero. That 8th round where he stepped it up was Floyd at his very best, his defense was on point all night. He made Guerrero look a novice at times, like he has done to so many in the past. I always say David Haye is my favorite boxer of my generation, but Floyd is not far behind and for my money (no pun intended) is the very best, better than Pac Man or Martinez.

It is all natural talent, his reflexes, speed and timing are all pinpoint even in his late 30's which is a tribute to his safety first style. The only thing I think can defeat Floyd is age and if last night is anything to go by it will be a long time yet. Would love him to fight Khan over hear so I could go see him in the flesh, I think his next massive bout will be with Alverez in a year or so, who is next for him is anyone's money.

Straight up add boxers on facebook and twitter. People who do it themselves, and everyone of them are in awe. Its not all natural talent, this man has absolutely mastered the skill of boxing. Timing comes with skill and experience. Roy Jones was talented with out the skill and when his talent faded he no longer had the skill to compensate. Floyd is quite simply the best by a country mile. There is no one at this stage to beat him unless they have a significant weight advantage. Alvarez feet are too slow, Marquez has already been schooled by floyd, Pacman struggles with counter punchers, Gamboa is too technically flawed, Sergio martinez has technical flaws and looks to have aged, Bradley is too basic, and Khan's defence and fragility would come in to effect. There is no point even mentioning the others.

Floyd's natural talent allows him to master the skill of boxing more than others though. I am sure other boxers work just as hard as Floyd to master the skill of boxing, but Floyd is just more gifted than them naturally, you have to have fast reflexes and coordination to enhance timing for example. Some of that will be because he trains smarter than others who train as hard, but there is such a ease to Floyd's work.

I agree though, I do not see anyone who could beat Floyd at the moment.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I think Bunce said it best, it was vintage Mayweather. I had him cruising probably 9 rounds. Thought the scorecards were generous to Guerrero. Doesn't matter though, the right man won. Not a great fight but in terms of a top class performance, it was pretty much flawless. At 36 you shouldn't be still moving that good, looking that sharp and fast and slipping punches with such ease. Especially as a smaller boxer where those attributes usually start fading by your late 20s/early 30s.

One thing that bugged me all night - this "Floyd's looking old in the face" bollocks. They hammered that point relentlessly. Rosenthal even asked "How much do you think he's aged in the last year?" I can tell you exactly how much. 365 days like every cunt else. Floyd still looks fantastic physically, I don't see this 'looking old' thing at all. If I didn't know who he was I wouldn't think he was 36, more like 26. So what if he's got a new line on his face here or there, he's not doing Oil of Olay adverts, he's a boxer.

Facial hair also makes you look older, which he was sporting last night. He looks a young 36, as said he could pass for late 20's. Whilst it is never action packed with Floyd, I can appreciate his skill and slickness because he is something very special.

Floyd's Dad was on top form last night, he is meant to have slagged Uncle Roger and he also shouted "you are the only decent one in your camp" to Guerrero whilst embracing him at the end.

Floyd looked brilliant, didn't he. I had it 118-111. I gave Guerrero two rounds and 1 equaled just for the higher volume of punches thrown. I don't think Guerrero hit more than 10 significant power punches all fight. I was waiting for the Guerrero from the Berto fight to explode out and start throwing bombs but he never turned up. He looked frustrated because Mayweather would twist and turn out of the way, and then get back into range to hit a right hook. The Guerrero camp are a bunch of idiots, claiming the punch that cut Guerrero was an elbow and the dad at the end running around shouting "He ran like a chicken, he's a chicken!" The guy is a fucking imbecile and a dumb one at that for believing Floyd when he said they would go toe to toe for 12 rounds. He made a fool out of himself on All Access continually calling out Floyd snr (Floyd would destroy him.) He made a fool out of himself at the press conference constantly shouting "Woman beater, he's a woman beater, he beat up his wife. His daddy taught him that." Whatever shit he came out with, wouldn't matter because 99% of the crowd and the PPV audience bought the fight because its Floyd Mayweather.

Routine win from Klitschko last night. It looked like he hurt his victim within the first 30 seconds, then spent the next 6 rounds blasting him with sledge-fisted punches until he couldn't get up in the 6th round.

• Paid Members
Facial hair also makes you look older

True, I still get ID'd in some pubs/clubs if I'm clean shaven, at 27. I never get ID'd when I'm sporting face fuzz.

Oh I agree with the above on Guerrero's corner. The right bunch of twats - 'ran like a chicken' yet still left Guerrero bloody and beaten physically and seemingly mentally by the later rounds. Guerrero seemed resigned to just trying to see the final bell from about midway point. Mayweather broke him.

Floyd Mayweather scores another points win? Yeah, I'll not have to bother downloading that one then.

Does that not work into contrast with your MMA views David, I thought you liked controlled talent over brawlers. Surely Floyd's showcase of pure skill should have you interested in the same way you enjoy a wrestling masterclass in MMA.

A nice little $32 million for Floyd last night.

Easily the best businessman in boxing, and possibly all of sports.

He avoided Pacquiao, and he'll likely avoid Saul Alvarez as well. And when he's earning that kind of coin, there's no real reason for him to fight the guys who can really test him, is there? He'll end up retiring with his '0' intact, and with more money than some countries have at their disposal, but he'll never be held in the same regard as the likes of Ali, Louis, Dempsey, Haggler, Hearns or Leonard, will he?

Floyd Mayweather scores another points win? Yeah, I'll not have to bother downloading that one then.

Does that not work into contrast with your MMA views David, I thought you liked controlled talent over brawlers. Surely Floyd's showcase of pure skill should have you interested in the same way you enjoy a wrestling masterclass in MMA.

Not at all, because I've always said I want to see the best face the best. I have no interest in seeing St-Pierre school Nick Diaz for five frames without much trouble, or seeing Anderson put on a clinic against Sonnen.

I want to see Floyd face the best out there, but he's not interested in doing that. I don't blame him though, but it doesn't make me want to watch him unfortunately.

Edited by David

I disagree Floyd dodged Pac Man, Bob Arum I think is mostly to blame for that one. I think Floyd can be compared to Hagler and Hearns quite easily, and has built a very impressive resume. The De Le Hoya fight is still the highest PPV buyrate ever and will go down as the fight that defined his legacy.

It would have been nice to see him beat Pac Man in 2009/2010, but politics and other things were working against it. I still fancy him to outclass Alverez. Fair enough on your reasons for not watching David, I thought you were dismissing Floyd based on him "winning on points" solely.

Edited by jimufctna24

I think Floyd can be compared to Haggler and Hearns quite easily, and has built a very impressive resume. The De Le Hoya fight is still the highest PPV buyrate ever and will go down as the fight that defined his legacy.

He can be compared to those fighters as far as his record and titles held go, but he'll not be held in the same regard as those guys. When people talk about fighters like Sugar Ray Leonard they don't say "remember that huge paycheck he got for his bouts with Roberto Duran?" or "remember the numbers that Leonard/Hearns did?", do they?

They talk about the two wars with Roberto Duran, where Leonard lost the first and then came back to make Duran quit in the 2nd, or when they think about Hearns they think about his legendary battle with Marvin Haggler.

Mayweather has always managed to catch fighters at the right time, just as they're on the slide, like De La Hoya was (two fights left in his career afterwards, 1-1 and beaten easily by Pacquiao before retiring), and he has fought seven times in the past six years.

Don't get me wrong, as I said already, he's planned his career out perfectly, fighting as little as possible and with as little risk as possible for the most money possible. He'll be remembered for that, but he can't have it both ways. You can't fight as he's done in recent times and expect to be held in the same regard as guys who fought the very best and who took part in real wars.