Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

anyone see Flintoff's debut? Boxnation annoyingly cut off after round 3 on the recording. Freddie did alright all considering, he was definitly over-eagre which is understandable when you make a debut in front of 5,000 people (great atmosphere too), but he looked decent behind the jab. His right hand was hopeless though. Did well to get up from the knockdown too, hit by a hard sneaky left hand when he was out of position, he did well to get up.

David Price destructive rampage continues. As expected Skelton was out and made it rough as shit but i guess the best way to stop Skelton is to attack his boiler because he'll just coming forward, Price crippled him with a body punch.

As expected the talk was of Price/Fury again after the fight, Frank Maloney said they've got

anyone see Flintoff's debut? Boxnation annoyingly cut off after round 3 on the recording. Freddie did alright all considering, he was definitly over-eagre which is understandable when you make a debut in front of 5,000 people (great atmosphere too), but he looked decent behind the jab. His right hand was hopeless though. Did well to get up from the knockdown too, hit by a hard sneaky left hand when he was out of position, he did well to get up.

Yeah, I know it was two novices, but was not a good fight at all. Freddie's Chavesque right hand punch was odd, and it didnt look like the opponent was much of a puncher, more of a punching bag. I know the Freddie knockdown was off balance, but if he came up against anyone who could punch he will get flattened. That all out attack wont work either, Freddie was going for the KO from the start and whilst had impressive stamina, didnt look to have any power either. Was pretty much a farce, I thought. Hope that's it out of his system.

What I saw of Price/Skelton looked good though, though he really has to stop fighting past it's and Skelton did cause some problems as well.

• Paid Members

Flintoff fight was alright if scrappy. Fair play to him, it's got to be one of the hardest things he could have chosen to do at this point and he deserves credit for that. The nerves clearly got to him and he was too wild a lot of times but fair play. Like Batista in MMA, it won't be a successful long term career move but good on him for giving it a go.

Price looked great again. Skelton's old but he's a crafty vet and Price took him out quick. And to be honest the way the heavyweight scene is today if you want to stay active you have to fight whoever's out there. There's just not enough quality depth at heavyweight to fight top prime opposition every time out. Fights like this are a necessity for keeping sharp and building experience. And it's important to remember he's only 15 fights deep into his pro career.

Price vs Thompson should be good.

• Paid Members

cant see Price having much trouble lamping Thompson with that right hand, Thompsons a big lumbering slug. Its all gonna be about trying to do it in more impressive fashion than the Klitschko's.

Looked a good atmosphere at the Flintoff fight, i'm still not convinced the American was brought over to win the fight, he hardly threw a punch and after he knocked him down he didnt follow up up. It was what it was, i cannot see Flintoff fighting again. I found it funny that Rosenthal was trying to build the American up and he came out with the line, from the mean streets of Oklahoma and Buncey started pissing himself.

Denton Vassell looked impressive and i like Paul Smith on the commentary and as a pundit as well, he speaks alot of sense and is a welcome break from Buncey and Illis.

Price again looked good and done what he needed to do. Theres still a big gap between Big Wlad and every other heavyweight though but hopefully Price moves on next year and has a big fight with either Fury or one of the Klitchkos.

Big TF tonight, should be entertaining, although he can look vulnerable and unorthadox at times, Fury has improved and i think he will stop Johnson tonight and i can see his promoter speaking afterwards, sweating and doing the used car salesman talk about Fury which should be entertaining in it's own way.

Cotto Trout tonight, i do not know that much about Trout but love watching Cotto box, the man is cool as fuck, great look, humble chap and has fought the best. I hope Cotto wins and sets up a match with Alvarez next sumer, that would be a great matchup and would renew the Mexican/Puerto Rico fued, wether the fight held in Mexico or MSG or Vegas would prob be best for a mix of fans, it sould be a great one.

• Paid Members

awww man, Kevin Johnson was shamefully lethargic last night, f'n hell he barely threw a punch. Fury did well to keep his head because it wouldnt been hard to get frustrated by Johnson's lack of anything and go in winging punches which is what Johnson was hoping for. Johnson's just one of those guys that's so sound defensively that he can just lumber around without getting hurt, hoping to land a shot coming in, it makes for one boring ass fight though. There was uproar on twitter about it.

Austin Trout put a bit of a hurting on Miguel Cotto, i fancied Trout on points on the run up but didn't put the money down :( he just beat Cotto everywhere though, i had Trout by 10 rounds the same as two of the judges but i had a feeling the judges may have it closer, i think they got it right though.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought this was a risky one for Cotto. I thought from the start it was a bit of an odd choice for him. Trout's a really good fighter, undefeated, tricky but not well known. There was no real upside for a name like Cotto fighting him at this stage.

Trout fought great, especially late where unlike a lot of guys who step off the gas and rest on a lead, he stepped it up another level and really poured it on in the 12th. Really good finish to the fight. Sad to see Cotto lose again, he's one of the genuine good guys of boxing and I always root for him. It's hard to see where he goes now. The Canelo fight was hinging on him beating Trout so that's gone now as well. Shame.

The Fury fight was pretty bad. I'll admit though not down to Fury because he fought a good fight I have to admit. Johnson was just too negative, how he expected to win the fight like that baffles me. Defending is all well and good but at some point he needed to do something and he waited around too long and the rounds just went by. Terrible performance from him.

Eubank vs Pryce was a good fight though. Pryce was a nice step up, Eubank's been taking a slightly tougher road than most rookies and this was his hardest fight yet. Pryce gave him some problems and forced some him into some mistakes at times which will be good for him in the long run to learn from. He needs to watch it with the showboating though, that's going to land him on his arse against more polished opponents. Enjoyable fight though.

In the ring I'd say Eubank Jr has a more exciting style to watch than his dad. Obviously not half the charisma though.

• Paid Members

I had Eubank by 1 round. Defo closer than the judges margin.

Pacquiao vs Marquez 4 this week. Same night as UFC on FOX. I don't know which one to watch live. Probably the UFC then I'll get up and watch Pac/Marquez with my breakfast on Sunday.

Who wins? It's hard to pick against Pacquiao. If there's a stoppage it's more likely to be by him and if it goes the distance the judges have favoured him over Marquez twice now (both times I had Marquez winning). There's always the question of age as well. When will it finally catch up to Marquez? Plus with how the last fight went I can see Marquez trying to attack more which could play into Pacquiao's hands.

But Marquez has been Pacquiao's toughest opponent of his career style wise. And after the Bradley fight maybe Pacquiao will be over aggressive and make mistakes.

It's a fascinating fight. I can't wait.

5's got DeGale vs Zuniga and Eubank Jr fighting again Saturday night as well. Big fight weekend this week.

Edited by wandshogun09