Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Sad news about Richard Evatt.

I won't pretend I was really familiar with him but the name rings a bell. I've got an old VHS knocking about called 'The Perfect Punch - 100 Greatest Knockouts', or something like that. With loads of late 80s/early 90s British boxers on there from the Barry Hearn shows. Pretty sure Evatt was on there. Might dig it out soon.

RIP

Ive overheard idiots at the pub using that word, and they probably would hate Khan by default. I dont know anyone personally whos as racist as that, but none of them like him. they all just think he's a cocky prick.

Mayweather's a cocky prick, but he doesn't get rattled in fights the whole time. plenty of people hate David Haye for that shit with his toe too you know, and plenty hated Froch when he was in Calzaghe's shadow. If Joe had that attitude when he had a few close shaves and 2 bad KO losses, a lot less people would let him get away with it. Hatton got loads of stick for the whole "bet your house on it" before getting KOed by Pacman, and him subsequently being a sore loser after that.... no different to Khan's moaning after the Peterson fight, and now calling Garcia's win "a lucky punch" and demanding a rematch that he doesn't deserve.

Khan's not as good as he thinks he is, thats the problem.... maybe Ricky Hatton wasn't either, but he had the football crowd behind him, and was actually considered a P4P top 10 fighter. Khan's never been close.

Being that you're posting on a pro wrestling board, you most likely are aware that the stuff you mention there, such as Hatton saying "bet your house on it" and suchlike is all said with the intention of selling the fight?

I've scanned ESB a few times, and it looks to be up there with Sherdog.net as its MMA equivalent as far as fans not understanding how a fight is sold. On many occasions these guys are acting like that in order to draw a reaction (which is obviously working).

I have no doubts in my mind that Khan isn't a fan favourite in this country in large part due to racism. You only need to cast your eyes out into the crowd of your average, or even your top end boxing event in the UK to see the kind of people who make up a fair chunk of the crowd. The same boneheaded characters you'll see necking lager down the pub before tossing some casual racism in the direction of their local cornershop-owning "paki" en route to the football.

Ah, the football crowd, the very bastion of tolerance and acceptance.

that got nothing to do with this at all.... he just had the backing of the millions of lads who like football, and saw him like on their own.

And you think every single one of those Hatton loving lads dislike Khan because he is a Bolton fan ;)

Hatton was an extremely likeable, charismatic fellow to be fair, my initial point was that people who compared Khan to Hamed and dislike him for that is lazy at best, racist at worst.

• Paid Members
no different to Khan's moaning after the Peterson fight, and now calling Garcia's win "a lucky punch" and demanding a rematch that he doesn't deserve.

My biggest problem with the whole Khan hatred thing isn't so much that people don't like him, people are always gonna take sides in sports...the problem i have with it is that it just seems to be completely unjustified. The whole 'cocky', 'arrogant' thing is a fucking myth. He's a confident young man, but take into consideration being a world champion at 23 in the the most alpha-male sport on the planet and you have every right to be confident, but he's by no means cocky. I do honestly put it down to the race thing, i don't think people even do it on purpose, it's just like subliminaly ingrained in people :laugh:

HeavyT's comment above sums it up completely....you've just made that up! i aint heard one quote from Khan calling it a lucky punch. Show the me the proof and i'll apologise but the only thing ive heard come from Khan's mouth is 'i just got caught with a shot, but that's boxing'. Where did lucky punch come into it?

SHOW ME THE PROOOOOFF!!!!

• Paid Members

Matthew Hatton and Frankie Gavin have respectfully called each other out on Twitter. Step up for Gavin. Would be a good fight to watch I think.

Also, did anyone catch the phone interview with Paulie Malignaggi on the Boxing Hour this week? I can't stand him but he spoke some sense on Khan's loss I thought. Especially on people calling for him to retire. He mentioned that Khan's still only 25 and he used the example that Wladimir Klitschko suffered a few stoppage losses earlier in his career and went on to have a lot of success.

Obviously Khan's in a bit of a different situation given the difference in depth of tough opponents at 140-147 compared to Heavyweight but it's a fair point I think. It's not like he's looking worn down or deteriorated and at the end of his career like a Roy Jones or James Toney. He's still got time to improve and if he fights smarter he can still go on to do very well.

Oh and Frank Warren on hopes for a Haye vs Vitali fight;

'It will happen, 100 per cent, unless Vitali retires. If Dereck had won he'd have fought Wladimir, if David won he was going to fight Vitali.

Now David against Vitali is a natural fight. I was impressed with David against Chisora and he's made me change my opinion of him. David fights a lot off his back foot and if you do that against big guys, it suits their gameplan. But if you jump on them and get under that jab, the one thing they can't do is fight on the inside and deal with a high workrate.

Vitali's an old guy now, he's 40 years of age, and Dereck has shown how he can be beaten.'

Haye on Chisora win and possible Vitali fight;

'If a fight with Vitali happens down the line, fantastic. If it doesn't then I've been undisputed cruiserweight champion of the world and a heavyweight champion of the world. I've achieved more than I anticipated I would do as a youngster. I'm happy with what I've done in the ring and it's nice to finish on such a high.

'When I retired after losing to Wladimir (Klitschko) a year ago, it left a bitter taste in my mouth. But this time round after fighting in London in front of 30,000 of my fans, it really did put a smile on my face. 'If that's my last fight, it's one I'm very proud and happy of.'

Edited by wandshogun09

Haye vs Del Boy is the best Boxing Heavyweight fight I have seen since Sam Peter vs Wlad in 2005.

It really was a exciting fight, whatever you can say about the build up, the fight itself in the ring (bar the headbutt from Del Boy at the end of the 3rd) was good for boxing, it provided entertainment I have not seen in the Heavyweight division in years.

The same boneheaded characters you'll see necking lager down the pub before tossing some casual racism in the direction of their local cornershop-owning "paki" en route to the football.

At the risk of doing a 180 with my opinion, I know where this stereotype comes from.

Years ago just before the Hatton vs Floyd fight I was on my way home on the bus late at night to watch Joe Calzaghe fight Kessler, I was asked by two men why I was going home at 11pm and on the last bus and not on the piss, I informed them why and they asked me who I wanted to win out of Floyd and Hatton, I responded Hatton.

One of the men, clearly drunk and fitting the stereotype said "yeah because one is white and the other is black" I shook my head and said no whilst the other man tried to shut him up so they did not get chucked of.

The incident did not bother me, but I was taken back by the mans ignorance. I am not used to hearing shite like that as I usually watch boxing at home with my Brother or a friend of mine who would never say something that stupid, and in life in general other than the odd prick on the bus (bloody public transport) I rarely hear racist slurs. No one in my social circle (at least round me) would say crap like that.

So yeah, maybe Khan is disliked due to his race partially, the opinion above about Asians been seen to "know their place" maybe accurate sadly.

Edited by jimufctna24

According to Vitali he offered to fight Haye in September, but Haye knocked it back in favour of the Chisora fight, which is fair enough I guess considering the money he made from it and the quality of the opponent he was facing;

Vitali Klitschko reminded David Haye he rejected the chance to meet in a heavyweight super fight in favour of facing Dereck Chisora.

Haye demanded a showdown with Klitschko after flattening Chisora in an explosive five-round victory at Upton Park on Saturday night.

The 31-year-old expressed his fear a fight against Klitschko would never happen because his performance against Chisora was 'too good'.

Klitschko, speaking in Moscow to publicise his clash with Manuel Charr on September 8, insisted Haye should have been his next opponent.

'David Haye was supposed to be at this press conference,' Klitschko told Russian news agency RIA Novosti.

'He had a concrete offer for a fight in September and he refused.

'He turned down a fight with Vitali Klitschko in favour of one with Chisora.'

Haye opted against fighting Klitschko due to the size of the purse being offered, knowing he could make more money from settling his grudge match with Chisora.

Klitschko's manager Bernd Boente declared yesterday that the 40-year-old is unlikely to face Haye now because he hopes to launch his political career in Ukraine in October.

If he fails to tempt his preferred target into one more fight, then Haye will enter retirement for a second time satisfied by what he has achieved.

'If a fight with Vitali happens down the line, fantastic,' Haye told BBC Sport.

'If it doesn't then I've been undisputed cruiserweight champion of the world and a heavyweight champion of the world.

'I've achieved more than I anticipated I would do as a youngster.

'I'm happy with what I've done in the ring and it's nice to finish on such a high.

'When I retired after losing to Wladimir (Klitschko) a year ago, it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

'But this time round after fighting in London in front of 30,000 of my fans, it really did put a smile on my face.

'If that's my last fight, it's one I'm very proud and happy of.'

Frank Warren stated on Saturday that a meeting between Haye and Vitali would have to be staged at Wembley such would be the interest.

And the promoter believes Haye would triumph - if he carried the fight to the older Klitschko brother.

'It will happen, 100 per cent, unless Vitali retires. If Dereck had won he'd have fought Wladimir, if David won he was going to fight Vitali,' Warren said.

'Now David against Vitali is a natural fight. I was impressed with David against Chisora and he's made me change my opinion of him.

'David fights a lot off his back foot and if you do that against big guys, it suits their gameplan.

'But if you jump on them and get under that jab, the one thing they can't do is fight on the inside and deal with a high workrate.

'Vitali's an old guy now, he's 40 years of age, and Dereck has shown how he can be beaten.'

I have no issue at all with the fact that Haye chose the more logical path in facing a less skilled opponent for more money, but it would be refreshing if he actually admitted it. I have a feeling he won't though, and will make noises about beating Vitali and him "running scared" despite it being relatively well known that Vitali wanted to fight in September then move into politics in October.

Adam Booth spoke about the Vitali situation before Vitali said what he said in the interview above and confirmed they told Klitschko camp they would fight Chisora in July and then Vitali in September. Vitali's camp refused and that's why it's not happening. Haye's camp really do want to do everything there own way and some how with the money that will be on offer for both of them to get it on, it be stupid of both men not to make it happen.

I think Haye could make coin fighting Povetkin or even Tyson Fury/David Price. I hope and think the Vitali fight will happen, but if it does not Haye should find another fight, the Heavyweight division needs someone as exciting and talented as him.

Enzo should retire.