Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

So much talk of Khan not having a good chin again. :confused: Not true at all for me but he's got much bigger problems.

Last night and past fights prove Khan struggles to stick to a game plan and follow it through. He constantly shows a massive lack of discipline and creates much of his own downfall.

In the lead up to the fight Roach said he would win by getting in range, quickly shooting off two and three punch combo's then use his foot work to get out of range and away from danger. Khan did very little of this in the first two rounds when he looked comfortable, the fact is he was lucky Garica didn't connect with a counter punch earlier in the fight. The danger signs were clear, Khan was taking chances he didn't need to take.

Watching footage of him over at the Wildcard Gym and listening to interviews he seems to be far too concerned with entertaining the public and looking good instead of following advice, taking instructions and concentrating on simply winning.

The media in this country at times haven't done him any favours since he came back from the Olympics with a medal way back when, he's been over hyped his whole professional career and although a good boxer with speed and talent he's got some real flaws.

A big break from the sport might well be needed and then time to re-build if possible. A move up in weight might be a good option but he would need to come back down to domestic level in my view. A match up around March next year in Manchester against Matthew Hatton would be ideal before one or two more fights at 147. Perhaps a crack at Kel Brooke or a re-match against the Magic Man might follow.

Really enjoyed the Haye/Chisora fight. Dues to both men for putting on a great contest while it lasted.

Haye was huffing and puffing very early on (to be expected I guess) but showed great timing, speed, concentration and power.

Edited by Brock Goldberg

As for the future, surely it's time for Kell Brook/Amir Khan? It makes perfect senes to me!

Brook is facing Hector Saldivia in an IBF world title eliminator. If he wins that, he might be made a mandatory challenger and get a title shot.

• Paid Members

hmmm, according the broadcast Khan was following the gameplan, Roach has tried to stop Khan moving around so much and insisted he stays more flat footed and box within range. This what Khan did for the first 3 rounds he just got caught with a sweet counter shot. Emanuel Stewart even said, Khan did nothing wrong he just got caught with a great punch.

The instinct thing you can't really question, im pretty sure Amir will have no recollection of that 4th round today, when your hurt i guess you either cower away or you get angry and want to retaliate, the latter is the camp Khan falls into and whilst it gets him in trouble isn't that what makes fighters so endearing? Whoever questioned Arturo Gatti of having poor defence? nobody, because they loved seeing him get hit and fire back.

• Paid Members

Ebb and Rossman already said pretty much exactly what I would have posted.

Shame, I like Khan. It's going to be a rough time building a comeback from this. What a 4 rounds though, proper tense stuff from both from the off.

Khan's chin isn't the best but he took Maidana's bombs over 12 rounds and Maidana is a bigger hitter than Garcia. The difference last night seemed to be he got caught with some cracking shots he simply didn't see coming. He seemed to be over aggressive at times and any tactics seemed to fly down the shitter, looked like he expected to blow him away in a couple of rounds.

Hard to see where he goes from here. Never a dull moment for sure though.

Whoever questioned Arturo Gatti of having poor defence? nobody, because they loved seeing him get hit and fire back.

The difference is as Johnny Nelson put it, Amir is a average brawler and needs defense to survive. Gatti was a excellent brawler and could take a shot better and fire back. Plus Amir does not have to brawl, if he fought smarter and boxed he would not get into as much trouble.

Barry Mcguigan put it well last night, he did not use enough footwork stepping back he was always in the danger zone against the powerful Garcia. Yes, he does please the fans with his style, but he could have won last night and beat Peterson if he had boxed more clever.

• Paid Members

All this talk of Khan's career being over and he should retire (Froch.. twat) is ridiculous. Remember Pacquiao was about 26 when he started his run of dominance. I still see a very bright career for Khan, he just needs to sort his defence out because his attack is pretty much spot on.

Amir Khan however is due a backlash. The casual fans in this country will never let him forget the Prescott KO and now they got more ammunition. They won't see the absolute classics that Khan's been involved with (Maidana, Peterson, Garcia), they won't see the heart the guy has to fight, they'll just see that he got dropped and they'll love it. Khan was looking good last night and simply got caught, his defences let him down again, he always seems to ship massive shots. The first shot destroyed him he tried getting back into it but his legs were gone. The 4th round was as gripping a round of boxing you'll see all year, Khan's instincts let him down again, he tried going punch for punch with Garcia and finally it caught up with him.

Max Kellerman summed it up perfectly at the end and said Amir Khan is great for boxing, never a dull moment and that's what the fans want...fuck the haters.

As for the future, surely it's time for Kell Brook/Amir Khan? It makes perfect senes to me!

thats a good idea, i think hes a evel above brook, and hes doing record numbers on sky so i dont see why not.

So much talk of Khan not having a good chin again. :confused: Not true at all for me but he's got much bigger problems.

you think he has a good chin?? Khan's always going to be fast and explosive, but he willl be found out time and time again. he needs to stop pretending hes floyd mayweather, and look at the task at hand.

All this talk of Khan's career being over and he should retire (Froch.. twat) is ridiculous. Remember Pacquiao was about 26 when he started his run of dominance. I still see a very bright career for Khan, he just needs to sort his defence out because his attack is pretty much spot on.

no power, no inside game, i dont think he can just slap on a better defence and miraculously be a better fighter. hes world class, but hes no elite... willie limond should have KOed him ffs.

• Paid Members
Whoever questioned Arturo Gatti of having poor defence? nobody, because they loved seeing him get hit and fire back.

The difference is as Johnny Nelson put it, Amir is a average brawler and needs defense to survive. Gatti was a excellent brawler and could take a shot better and fire back. Plus Amir does not have to brawl, if he fought smarter and boxed he would not get into as much trouble.

Barry Mcguigan put it well last night, he did not use enough footwork stepping back he was always in the danger zone against the powerful Garcia. Yes, he does please the fans with his style, but he could have won last night and beat Peterson if he had boxed more clever.

yeh, good points.

I aint by any means saying Khan can brawl like Gatti, but he seems to get into that same kind of mindset when he gets into the heat of battle.

It aint wise, but it's exciting.

Its is indeed exciting, but it depends on what Khan wants to be, a pleasing brawler who underachieves with his boxing pedigree, or a boxer who fights smarter maybe wins on points more often in the odd dull affair (Floyd) Not saying he could be as good Floyd, but he could have a career as good as say Oscar De Le Hoya or Ricky Hatton.

The natural talent and heart is there, but the defense and chin are not. Freddie Roach maybe spread to thin to help, and some have even said he is a better offensive coach than defensive. Its not that I think he has crap defense, there was point where he blocked a decent combination by Garcia effortlessly last night, I think he just chooses to fight in a way that pleases the crowd but leaves him open, like said on SKY last night, he should have just got in and got out and used his footwork more.

Khan has a big ego, it shines through and have heard many a story about it being his undoing in and out the ring, since Prescott he has had this thing of trying to prove he some sort of warrior and that machismo act has cost him a massive payday against Floyd or Marquez in my opinion.

I would not get frustrated if this was say George Groves, a fighter I rate to be good but maybe not have the ability to headline Vegas shows and win multiple Worlds Titles like I believe Amir can.

Edited by jimufctna24

you think he has a good chin?? Khan's always going to be fast and explosive, but he willl be found out time and time again.

Did you see the amount of punches he took after taking that shot behind the ear? He may not have the best chin in the business, but he's certainly not the glassjaw that he looked like earlier in his career.

no power, no inside game, i dont think he can just slap on a better defence and miraculously be a better fighter. hes world class, but hes no elite... willie limond should have KOed him ffs.

No power? He's got eighteen knock outs in twenty six fights, and has put away guys like Judah and Malignaggi which isn't too shabby. To say he has no power is pretty ridiculous. As for his fight with Limond, anyone with a decent set of eyeballs can see that he's a completely different fighter from the twenty year old kid who fought Limond five years ago.

That fight took place at lightweight when Khan was still a lad. In fact, the fact that was talking of moving up further to 147lbs after his fight with Garcia hints at him not fully maturing yet. He's getting bigger every time we see him it seems, and if you go back and watch that fight with Limond it doesn't even look like the same guy.

The style he fights means he's always in danger of getting caught like he did, but it's worth remembering that he hasn't been knocked out in almost four years and when he did get caught it was with the type of shot that really fucks with your equilibrium.

I was one of those guys who thought he had a terrible chin earlier in his career, but he's made a believer out of me over the past few years and has turned into a superb boxer as he's gotten older.

He'll be back, and I certainly wouldn't rule out more titles and big money fights in his future.

Does anyone have a link to watch the David Haye vs Dereck Chisora fight in full including both entrances?

he hasnt got a glass jaw, but he is certainly very vulnerable in the ring. No intelligence, either... to me he has actually regressed since the Judah win. You can tell he badly wants to be a brawler, but he just doesn't have it in him. Huge heart, but when hes going around calling himself a superstar, and that he would beat Floyd makes him look like an utter prick after getting TKOed by Garcia. I think he lacks the power to be elite, maybe "no power" was a wee bit harsh, but he doesn't possess true KO power, and I think its something that will become more and more evident in future. A lot of people are just going to walk through him now, unless he makes some major changes. I think he can come back, pick up another title or two.... but I can definitely see him getting hurt again, probably even KOed by the end of his career. He wasnt just csaught cold by Garcia, he was beaten up in those last rounds. Wasnt nice to see, and I cant see his punch resistance getting any better either.

• Paid Members

Khan is the most critiqued fighter in boxing, it's annoying because in all the post-fight stuff im hearing from people, no one has said that it may just come down to the fact that Khan got caught with as sweet a counter left hook as you could wish to see. It's never enough to praise the opponent it's always cause Khan sucks.

I went into work last night and all i heard was 'Khan's a fucking pussy', 'Khan can't take a punch', 'glad that cunt got knocked out'...its some serious hatred.

Not one person mentioned that until he got clipped he was winning and was looking great doing so. No one ever comments on the good things when it comes to Khan, it's always negative. Now granted this is coming from people who watch 1-2 fights a year and probably didn't even see the fight saturday night but that blind critisicm has annoyed me for years.

I'm not levelling this at anyone who has posted in this thread, but the one thing that annoys me the most about the Khan hatred is the "can't stand the cocky prick, he is just like Hamed" bullshit. The people I hear saying this line are, as Ebb pointed out, the ones who don't really watch Boxing. In my experience, they also have a dislike of Muslims.

I'm not saying anyone who hates Khan is a racist, but some certainly are.