Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh, he was banging on about a 3rd fight with Tua before the Cameron fight too.

quick heads up if you got Boxnation, they've announced a bit of a last minute deal to air tonight's Wladamir Klitschko/Tony Thompson fight. Add that with Fury/Maddalone on 5 and the Brook/Jones fight on Sky and you've got a fairly loaded night of action.

• Paid Members
Also, Boxnation are introducing a connection fee after today so sign up now if you were planning on getting the Haye Chisora fight.

I'm glad I've already got it. Although as much as I love the channel I can't imagine it gets that many subscribers. Adding a connection will likely put more people off. Wank Frarren is one greedy, fish eyed bastard. Allegedly.

Just watched the Brook / Jones bout. What a contest.

was a cracker wasn't it Richie, Brook showed he has the heart and can dig deep as well, a couple of times i thought Jones was gonna finish him.

You could argue that it has exposed weaknesses in Brook as well, hopefully he looks back at the tape and changes things, he already admitted that he needs to get his dieting right, and Eddie Hearn said he needs to start living the life of a champion as well.

a real gut check for Kell Brook last night

I got Boxnation last week ready for Chisora vs Haye.

Going to SKY Plus Wlad tonight, on paper it looks like a easy nights work for him. Fancy Brook and Fury to win also, no upsets tonight.

Is there anyway to get boxnation just for the hours needed for the fight?

Just Ive only seen the

I got Boxnation last week ready for Chisora vs Haye.

Going to SKY Plus Wlad tonight, on paper it looks like a easy nights work for him. Fancy Brook and Fury to win also, no upsets tonight.

Is there anyway to get boxnation just for the hours needed for the fight?

Just Ive only seen the

• Paid Members

Watched the Brook fight just now. Great fight, gutsy performance from Brook there he was taking a battering at times. He'll probably learn a lot more from a fight like that than fights where he wins comfortably. Be interesting to see how he looks next time out.Anyone catch the Fury and Eubank Jr fights from 5 on Saturday? I watched them as they were on but my sister and the kids were here so I didn't really score them closely or hear a lot of the commentary. Fury looked like he made a pretty easy night's work of it from what I made out. Eubank Jr was the opposite, that was another really tough fight. I'm kinda torn on how they're bringing him up. The guys he's fighting aren't world beaters by any stretch, so they're reasonable opposition for Eubank. But they are certainly tougher fights than most have in the very early stages of going pro. It's admirable in one way, that he's taking tough tests this early and he's not being protected. He'll learn more from them kind of fights. But on the other hand it could mess up his chances before he gets going. Having 'wars' usually comes later on in a boxer's career, certainly not in your first handful of fights and Eubank's had a couple already.I like Eubank. From what I've seen I think he could go on to be decent. Maybe not on world level but I think he has the skills to do well on the British/Euro scene given time. He seems to lack a little in power and defence though but them things can be improved on to some extent if he puts in the work. I like him though, he's totally different to his old man aswell. I know they tried to play off his dad's persona with the walk in song/rope jump etc but he's nothing like him once the bell rings. If he can get through all these tests early on, by the time he's had 20 fights he'll actually have a lot more experience than your average 20-0 up and comer just because he'll have been in tougher spots already as opposed to being fed gimmes for his first 10 fights or so. It's not the traditional way to build a guy in boxing and it's risky, but I'd like to see him do well.

In WH Smiths they have a magazine out entitled "Top 100 Boxers of all time". They had Mike Tyson at N0.71!!!!!! That has to be a piss take?

Yeah, I'll defo pick this up. Tyson at just 71 does seem harsh on first glance but when you think really, the 'top 100 boxers of all time' covers a shitload of ground. If it was 'Top 100 Heavyweights' then I'd have Tyson top 10 but 'Top Boxers' is a different question entirely. You have to factor in all the greats like Robinson, Leonard, Henry Armstrong, Ali, Louis, Pep, Chavez, Mayweather, Hagler, Marciano, Dempsey, Duran etc etc the list goes on and on. And to many, Tyson was merely fortunate that he came along in the 80s when the heavyweight division wasn't as loaded as it had been previously. If Tyson came along in the 70s when the likes of Ali, Smokin' Joe, Foreman, prime Holmes, Norton, Shavers, Lyle etc were at their pomp I doubt he'd have dominated like he did against the likes of Marvis Frazier, Trevor Berbick and co.Not knocking Tyson as he could only beat who was put in front of him. And he was certainly a tremendous boxer when he was on, always exciting and he brought massive amounts of money and PPV revenue into the heavyweight scene at a time where it was on a comedown post Ali-era. I love watching Tyson to this day and I am a fan. But there's tons of boxers you could realistically rate above him in the history of the sport. Edited by wandshogun09

Fury's beginning to really impress me, he fights tall now for a start, he looks in reasonable condition, and despite Maddalone being shite, he was good enough for Adamek a year or so ago. Im in two minds wether they should move Tyson quickly or not, but even his uncle seemed to hint at waiting a while, and despie the press and call outs, Fury himself has even said he's got time on his hands. Let him get in proper condition, and just start slightly upping the competition over the next few dates I think. Dimitrenko would be a good opponent, or an easy former champ.

Eubank Jr. didnt have much of an amateur career, so hes just learning on the job ala JCC Jr. I could see him fighting at this level for another 5-10 fights at least, he's learning and putting on a good show. He won't be a world beater, IMO, but i could see him picking up either a British or International title, and headlining a few shows on 5 late next year.

• Paid Members

Yeah I agree with all that. Fury's looking better lately to me aswell. I used to laugh at him and I'm still not a fan, he just seems so unlikeable to me. But fair play, he's clearly put some graft in to improve and get in better shape. It's hard to judge how good he really is though when he's fighting an old Rogan and the Maddalone's of the world. But he's young and I don't think he's ready for the top level and certainly not the Klitschkos.

I wanna see him fight David Price soon though. There's been too much gone on for that not to happen and I really think Price is legit.

Fury's already a top ten HW, pretty much, Price would be a step backwards in several ways. High risk, low reward, he just needs to start fighting guys like Maurice Harris or Jonathan Banks, they were apparently trying to get Mormeck for his last fight so that would be a good scalp.

Edited by HeavyT