Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Another boxing tale of woe...

Shannan Taylor an Australian fighter who is the current WBF World Middleweight Champion, and who has had a lengthy career besides including getting a world title shot against Shane Mosley back in March 2001, is on life support following a drug overdose.

As the second story, which I have posted further down, hints this might not be as straight forward as you would assume.

Shannan Taylor - an Aussie fighter's tale of a life gone wrong

* by: Paul Kent

* November 29, 2011 1:29PM

566684shannantaylor.jpg

Decision time ... boxer Shanna Taylor is on life supprt / Pic: Cameron Richardson Source: The Daily Telegraph

SHANNAN Taylor was the boxing tragedy come to life.

Shannan Taylor, 39, is on a life-support machine in Wollongong Hospital after an overdose on Sunday night.

Last night Taylor's condition was upgraded to critical but stable, forcing doctors to reassess the cut-off time for shutting down his life-support machine, originally intended for 8am today.

A hospital spokeswoman said at 9am today, Taylor's condition is unchanged and remains in a critical condition.

Given little chance yesterday, Taylor had last night improved so dramatically he was breathing on his own - albeit barely.

Late yesterday those close to him believed nothing short of a pocketful of miracles would save him, a prospect that brightened overnight.

Taylor was with two friends on Sunday when they bought what they believed was cocaine. In fact, it was heroin, and an ambulance was called when Taylor failed to wake.

Now he and another man are hospitalised while the third man, who vomited, survived.

Wollongong police initially sealed the home of an associate of Taylor as a crime scene but have since scaled back the investigation after declaring nothing suspicious.

Taylor is the reigning WBF middleweight champion which is, admittedly, a lightly regarded title and far from a full testament of his boxing talent.

Former triple world champion Jeff Fenech was one of the last people to speak to him after Taylor called him on Sunday night.

"He called me at 6.30 telling me that he was out having a good time. There was a couple of females in the background, they were girls he trained, and he put them on the phone and they told me what a great trainer he was," Fenech said.

"I was having dinner with my family so I told him I would call him tomorrow. I rang him first thing in the morning. There was no answer."

Fenech received a phone call several hours later telling him what had happened.

"It felt like somebody jumped on my heart," he said.

Taylor has been a professional fighter for 20 years but, through a combination of bad luck, poor management and missed opportunity - far too familiar themes in the boxing game - he failed to reach the heights he deserved.

"When I think of fighters who deserved anything in Australian boxing he was on top of the list by a million miles," Fenech said.

"He was one of our first-rate talents and it was all for the work he put in as a youngster and for the guys that he fought and beat."

Promoter Bill Mordey handled Taylor early in his career and tried to position him for a title shot against Kostya Tszyu, who by then had left Mordey.

Fenech then took over and in 2001 got Taylor a WBC title shot against Sugar Shane Mosley, where he failed to come out for the sixth round.

"When he had a chance it was against one of the greatest fighters of the modern era," Fenech said.

Taylor admitted to a cocaine habit later that year but since declared he was clean.

So, it seems the police are now looking into the idea that it might have been a gangland hit that went wrong.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/box...r-1226210635125

Boxer Shannan Taylor's hot-shot a 'hit'

* by: EXCLUSIVE by Paul Kent

* December 01, 2011 12:00AM

927381shannontaylorlife.jpg

Possible gangland overdose connection ... Shannon Taylor. Source: The Daily Telegraph

POLICE are investigating whether Shannan Taylor was the mistaken victim of an attempted gangland hit.

Strike Force Calligan has widened its investigation to include the boxer's drug overdose on Sunday night which left him in an induced coma and on life support in Wollongong Hospital.

The stunning development has thrown new light on how Taylor almost overdosed after mistakenly consuming heroin he thought was cocaine.

Detectives are investigating if the drug substitution was a planned "hot-shot" to bring down another man as part of an ongoing drug war.

Several deaths have already been connected to the war.

Taylor remained on life support last night after doctors decided against earlier plans to revive him yesterday morning.

He has already had three heart machines removed but remains on a respirator.

The strike force was formed earlier this month following the disappearance of underworld figure Goran Nikolovski, whose car was found incinerated in bush at Macquarie Pass on November 4.

Nikolovski - still missing - is alleged to be an associate of the man who provided Taylor and his drinking party with the heroin they believed was cocaine on Sunday night.

The associate also snorted the drug and was rushed to hospital with Taylor, but was released on Tuesday.

His ill-fated hook-up with Taylor appears to have happened by accident.

Taylor was drinking with his promoter Rod Van Akker and another man on Sunday night and later returned to Van Akker's home.

At some point the associate of Nikolovski arrived at the house, left for a short while, and returned with another man and the drug they believed was cocaine.

As well as being an associate of Nikolovski, the man was also connected to another underworld figure, convicted drug dealer Saso Ristevski, who was executed in front of his family at his home on September 28.

Ristevski and Nikolovski both served jail time for a large cocaine haul.

Police who searched Van Akker's home on Monday took away a dinner plate they believe was used to cut up the powdered drug.

As well as the recent deaths, another close associate of Nikolovski also recently took himself to hospital with severe stomach complaints, another area of interest for police.

Adding weight to police suspicions the seller targeted the associate is the fact there have been no other hospital admissions from overdose victims affected by the same batch of drugs, indicating he was deliberately targeted.

Edited by nfc90210

British middleweight Martin Murray came agonisingly close to clinching a world title as a pulsating bout with WBA champion Felix Sturm ended in a draw.

After 12 tight rounds in Mannheim, Germany, one judge awarded the fight 116-112 to Sturm, another 115-113 to Murray and the third scored it 114-114.

The draw means Germany's Sturm retains his WBA title, but Murray remains unbeaten in 24 professional fights.

Saturday December 3rd, 6pm~ (Boxnation)

Main Event

Alexander Povetkin (22-0) vs Cedric Boswell (35-1)

Fake WBA heavyweight belt - 12x3

--

Live Undercard

Robert Helenius (16-0) vs Dereck Chisora (15-1)

Vacant European heavyweight belts - 12x3

Saturday December 3rd, 8pm~ (Sky Sports 1)

Main Event

Prince Arron (21-3) vs Brian Rose (17-1)

British light middleweight title - 12x3

--

Live Undercard

Karl Place (15-0) vs Steve Williams (11-1)

Eliminator for British light welterweight title - 10x3

Sunday December 4th, 2am~ (Boxnation)

Main Event

Miguel Cotto (36-2) vs Antonio Margarito (38-7)

WBA light-middleweight belt - 12x3

--

Live Undercard

Brandon Rios (28-0) vs John Murray (31-1)

WBA lightweight belt - 12x3

--

Mike Jones (25-0) vs Sebastian Lujan (38-5)

Eliminator for IBF welterweight belt - 12x3

--

Pawel Wolak (29-1) vs Delvin Rodriguez (25-5)

Non-title light-middleweight bout - 10x3

Sunday December 4th, 2am~ (Premier Sports)

Main Event

Abner Mares (22-0) vs Joseph Agbeko (28-3)

IBF bantamweight belt - 12x3

--

Anselmo Moreno (31-1) vs Vic Darchinyan (37-3)

WBA bantamweight belt - 12x3

The above is all the boxing fights that are going to be shown tonight. Lots of good fights with the biggest as we all know being Cotto/Margo II. Anybody see the weigh in last night for the bill in MSG? I was for sure thinking Rios would take Murray out, but after coming in so overweight, having to come back to make weight he looked so gaunt, if Murray has got his preperations spot on, he could cause a major upset. The rematch between Mares/Agbeko should be a cracker after the controversy of their first fight. I'm not sure about Cotto/Margo. I hope Cotto destroys him after what happened in the first fight, but regardless of whether Margo cheated or not, he was walking through Cotto's punches after five rounds, he says Cotto hits like a girl, will see tonight if that is the case. Im gonna go with Cotto on points. Gonna be a great night of action, I can't wait.

You got any ideas on what they might show next in terms of documentary's? Considering what they will and will not have the rights to i'm thinking Eubank/Watson possibly.

Maybe but I'm not sure they will do that story at the minute because there was that Watson doc recently on Sky Sports for the 20th anniversary of Eubank/Watson 2.

This is the one, good doc if you haven't seen it

Are they deffo gonna be doing more boxing docs then? Maybe something on Henry Cooper? Even Bruno or Lennox Lewis maybe? They've already done Benn/Eubank with the Clash of the Titans doc so they probably won't do another one for them.

Thanks for the link, I remember watching when it aired, it was a very moving show. The only reason I was thinking about Watson is due to what happened and the fact ITV had the rights to the fights, and they ae indicating they will be showing a few more of this documentary over the forthcoming months. I guess will wait and see.

Yeah, I would expect something to happen with a British heavyweight next.

Rios was a lb and a half over, even after the second weigh-in so has been stripped of his belt. They will check his weight this morning, then apparently it is up to Murray's camp this morning whether they decide the fight goes ahead or not. Could go either way really, golden opportunity now for Murray cos Rios looked like a corpse on those scales last night.

Good effort by Martin Murray last night, he just didn't quite do enough in my eyes. He used the old cliche of 'punches in bunches' but never really set down in to a continued, long assault. Sky's commentary was horrendous, Watt was moaning on about a robbery for a fight he had Murray winning by just 1 round! And he somehow scored the last one level, despite Sturm battering him for most of it, and nearly knocking him down at the end.

Rios was a lb and a half over, even after the second weigh-in so has been stripped of his belt. They will check his weight this morning, then apparently it is up to Murray's camp this morning whether they decide the fight goes ahead or not. Could go either way really,golden opportunity now for Murray cos Rios looked like a corpse on those scales last night.

Good effort by Martin Murray last night, he just didn't quite do enough in my eyes. He used the old cliche of 'punches in bunches' but never really set down in to a continued, long assault. Sky's commentary was horrendous, Watt was moaning on about a robbery for a fight he had Murray winning by just 1 round! And he somehow scored the last one level, despite Sturm battering him for most of it, and nearly knocking him down at the end.

So he did end up getting stripped? I saw it and went to the bar to watch the Murray/Sturm fight, well what was left off it. According to Dan Rafael's twitter, Rios has basically not eating in five days, on health reasons alone I don't think he should be allowed to fight. After all the effort Murray has put in, i'd be surprised if he doesn't still take it. With Garcia also training Margo, I know in the same camp but to allow his fighter to be so out of condition weight wise, it looks as if he has been too focused on getting Margo ready.

I didnt't think Murray did enough either. After every combo he threw he looked tired. If he had just been able to step it up a little he would have won it and no way was the last round a draw. It was a clear Sturm round, Jim Watt over the last few years has become more and more annoying. Couldn't believe the crap what was coming out of his mouth last night, same goes for Johnny Nelson too.

Rios v John Murray goes ahead. The rehydration limit this morning was 147, and he came in at 146.6. Apparently he hasn't drank for 2 days according to the Boxing News editor, so now is certainly the time to whack some serious cash on Murray to pull off the upset tonight.

ITV1 has the documentry 'The Fight of Their Lives' showing this coming Monday (December 5th) at 10:35pm.

"Documentry about the 1995 world title fight between Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan, which ended in such tragic circumstances that it has never been broadcast since."

I remember watching this fight at the time, and McClellan was on his way to becoming the king of the mountain in world boxing at the time (WBO and WBC Middleweight champion with a 31(29 KO)-2 record heading into the fight, After the fight concluded, the horrific scenes of him laying down in the corner with an oxygen mask played out. If I remember correctly he had surgery to remove a blood-clot after the fight, and the tabloids in the aftermatch called for boxing to banned, despite pulling a TV crowd of 17 million and a 10,000 plus live audience.

Should be an interesting watch

Edited by KingOfMetal