Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

It's in Four Kings? I bought my old man that very book for Christmas, so I'll be swiping it off him at some point for a read. Nice one.

Yeah I'm 99% sure it is, though it's a good couple of years since I read it. I was vaguely aware of the Panama Lewis thing before then, but it was in Four Kings that it was fully explained.

Pretty sure its also in Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing, which is another superb read, focussing on the early to mid nineties boxing (James Toney as Middleweight for example) , as Panama Lewis was involved with McClellen and Tyson in that period.

• Awards Moderator
Bellow is fighting cleverley on saturday now. Should be a good ruck if Bellow comes to fight - which he normally does.

I'd imagine cleverley should stop him though, maybe late on.

http://www1.skysports.com/thisisit/story/21163/6939482

I saw that this morning and I've got much more interest in the fight now Bellew is involved. I think it might end up being the best scrap of the evening. I think it's a little too soon for Bellew if I'm honest despite his age, but there's been a bit of verbal needle between the two of them in the last 18 months so it should be decent.

I agree that Cleverly should come out on top in the later rounds, but I still fancy Bellew to wobble him early on. Maybe in another 18 months and with a bit more preparation, Bellew could take him. That may even happen if this one ends up warranting a rematch.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
HBO doc on the Collins/Resto fight, part 1 leads to rest of the doc

Assault In The Ring part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2z6yrQFSo...feature=related

Very compelling viewing but a real sad story.

I watched this today, really enjoyed it. Felt sorry for Resto as he seemed like the type of person who is easily lead and genuinely seemed remorseful about what happened. Panama was a complete and utter scumbag though.

BBC Radio 5 Live just announced that Bellew is over 13 stone which is above the Light-Heavyweight limit. It's no longer a World Title fight for that reason so it might be a Catchweight fight or they might get another opponent in.

They've roped some easter european bum in. And no doubt Warren and Sky will still have the cheek to put it on PPV. No wonder boxing's up shit creek with stuff like this going on.

• Paid Members

Haven't seen it posted but Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 is official for Nov 12th in Vegas.

Would love to see Marquez finally beat Pacman but I can't see it. Marquez is close to 40 and while he's still having great fights he's not in his prime anymore and Pacquiao is on fire. A couple of years ago I'd have gave Marquez a decent shot but I can see Pac beating him more clearly this time.

Should be a good fight though the first 2 were wars and I can't see Marquez letting it go like the Mosley fight did.

• Paid Members
Cheers for posting the summary of what happened and the link to the documentary - I'm going to watch that when I get home tonight. Stories like that fascinate me for some reason yet I'd never even heard of what happened in that fight. I've just emailed my mate who is up on his boxing and he knew about it, but has never seen the documentary (so a thanks from him, too).

no problem :thumbsup: I'd never heard it either. It seems it is a pretty well know story so I don't know how I missed it. It's a bit morbid but I also find stuff like this really interesting, any docs on tragedies and stuff fascinate me, especially if it's to do with something I'm into like boxing.

HBO doc on the Collins/Resto fight, part 1 leads to rest of the doc

Assault In The Ring part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2z6yrQFSo...feature=related

Very compelling viewing but a real sad story.

I watched this today, really enjoyed it. Felt sorry for Resto as he seemed like the type of person who is easily lead and genuinely seemed remorseful about what happened. Panama was a complete and utter scumbag though.

Yeah me too. Resto was guilty aswell but I got the impression he would have done whatever Panama Lewis asked cos he seemed to look at him like a father figure. Even 20 odd years later in the doc you could still see the hold he had over Resto when they met again. Panama seems like such a manipulative fucker. At least Resto did come clean (eventually). Panama still denying involvement shows what a slimy cretin he really is.

Haven't seen it posted but Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 is official for Nov 12th in Vegas.

Would love to see Marquez finally beat Pacman but I can't see it. Marquez is close to 40 and while he's still having great fights he's not in his prime anymore and Pacquiao is on fire. A couple of years ago I'd have gave Marquez a decent shot but I can see Pac beating him more clearly this time.

Should be a good fight though the first 2 were wars and I can't see Marquez letting it go like the Mosley fight did.

Is it at 140 or 147? Either way it'll be too big for Marquez and I think Pacquaio will have a much easier day than he did in their last 2 fights.

• Paid Members

Is it at 140 or 147? Either way it'll be too big for Marquez and I think Pacquaio will have a much easier day than he did in their last 2 fights.

It's gonna be at a catchweight of 144 and Marquez will be picking up $5 million for the fight.

From what I've read Golden Boy have reportedly said that if Marquez upsets Pac then they will seek to do a fourth fight and would offer Marquez $10 million for that one.