Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Pacman never looked that good, despite being in control for the majority of the fight. I thought at one point he may have stopped Mosley after the knockdown in the third round, but it never happened. I don't want to see Pac vs Marquez part three unless it's at 140 maximum and that would allow Marquez to come in lighter. Marquez would get destroyed if the fight was at 147lbs as Pac has gone up so many levels since their last fight. I didn't like Pacquiao response to the Mayweather question. If you want the fight so badly, make it clear to the watching world that your prepared to take the fight, rather then say you don't care about the guy as that isn't helping anybody. It will be interesting to see if it does over a million PPV buys in the states.

That fight last night has given me some food for thought as far as how I believe a Mayweather vs Pacquiao would go. I think Floyd would have a real chance of winning, as he's basically a younger, fresher, faster version of Mosley.

Ā 

I'm thinking that Floyd takes that fight.

That fight last night has given me some food for thought as far as how I believe a Mayweather vs Pacquiao would go. I think Floyd would have a real chance of winning, as he's basically a younger, fresher, faster version of Mosley.

Ā 

Ā 

A lot of people think the same, I've always felt Floyd would win the fight and nothing I have seen from Pacquiao over the last couple of years has changed my mind. Pacquiao struggles against slick boxers and there is no one out there more slicker than Mayweather. It's just a shame the fight will never happen as regardless of the legacy both fighters have had and will leave behind when they retire, there will always be a question mark over the both of them if this fight never takes place.

• Paid Members

Agree Pac/Mosley was disappointing but was anyone else sick of the commentators, Jim Watt especially, constantly whinging about it? It wasn't a great fight but the constant moaning made it seem a lot worse.

Ā 

At times they way they were talking about Manny performing badly I thought it was actually a bit disrespectful to Mosley. Just cause Manny didn't blow through him in a couple of rounds that's a bad performance? He absolutely dominated Mosley for 12 rounds. I actually thought he beat Mosley more impressively than Mayweather did tbh cos he scored a knockdown plus Mosley rocked Floyd badly in rd 1 whereas he never really got to Pacman.

Ā 

It could've been more exciting but I'll give Manny a pass seen as he's been one of the most consistantly exciting fighters in the sport for years. Mosley had a decent start but after the knockdown you could see he was in survival mode for the rest of the fight. I'd have liked to see him go for broke in the 12th but I doubt he'd have changed the outcome at that point. Sad seeing Mosley schooled like that.

Ā 

Look forward to the Marquez fight as he is a great and shrewd boxer who has the style to trouble pacman.

Ā 

I'm actually looking forward to it too. Marquez is a fuckin warrior and he's the last man to give Manny a close fight. The first 2 Pacquiao/Marquez fights are all time classic and both razor close decisions.

Ā 

I do think Manny will win more clearly this time though. Partly cos it's likely gonna be at 147 and I think going up in weight will hurt Marquez.

Ā 

Also the guy's 37, he's one of my favourite fighters hands down but I don't know how well he'll cope with Manny at this stage. Manny seems to be in a better place in his career. Should be another war if it happens and I'll be pulling for Marquez.

• Paid Members

Oh and Arce/Vasquez was excellent. Love watching Jorge Arce the guys mental. Recommend checking out his first fight with Hussein Hussein to anyone who hasn't seen it. It's from the Pacman/Morales 1 undercard and it's a crazy fight.

Ā 

here's a highlight of it

• Paid Members

Ā 

Ā 

A lot of people think the same, I've always felt Floyd would win the fight and nothing I have seen from Pacquiao over the last couple of years has changed my mind. Pacquiao struggles against slick boxers and there is no one out there more slicker than Mayweather. It's just a shame the fight will never happen as regardless of the legacy both fighters have had and will leave behind when they retire, there will always be a question mark over the both of them if this fight never takes place.

Ā 

That's why the fight needs to happen, to answer all the questions. It's the ultimate technical boxer with awesome defense vs the ultimate slugger with speed and power. If it doesn't happen it's a crime, the single biggest fight in boxing at the mo by far.

Ā 

As for who would win. I'd lean towards Mayweather on points. I think he could make Manny miss a lot and counter strike which is how Marquez had a lot of success against Manny. Saying that Mosley had Floyd in trouble early and Manny is quicker and maybe just as powerful as Mosley. We may never know for sure, I'd favour Mayweather but hope for Pacman KO.

Agree Pac/Mosley was disappointing but was anyone else sick of the commentators, Jim Watt especially, constantly whinging about it? It wasn't a great fight but the constant moaning made it seem a lot worse.

I've hated the UK commentators (mainly Jim Watt) for years now. So much so in fact, that I actively seek out a US broadcast of most fights.

• Paid Members

really? i like Watt, i always think he does a great job of calling the action. I'm the other way around, im not a big fan of HBO commentary, i watched a fight a few weeks back and they were so f'n negative it made what was an exciting fight seem a bit bland. You definately get two different opinions with the alternate commentaries.

I did like when Watt said somthing like " Mosely isnt here to just survive" when Survivor played eye of the tiger to Pac Mans entrance, then Mosely proved him to be completley wrong with his performance.

Ā 

Just wish they could get Pac Man and Floyd done, the spectacle would be tremendous and im sure it would break all PPV and Gate records. I like Pac Man to win, but I would put money on it. It would truely be the biggest boxing fight of my lifetime. Bigger than Lewis vs Tyson and thats saying somthing.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
really? i like Watt, i always think he does a great job of calling the action. I'm the other way around, im not a big fan of HBO commentary, i watched a fight a few weeks back and they were so f'n negative it made what was an exciting fight seem a bit bland. You definately get two different opinions with the alternate commentaries.

I agree, the Sky commentators are ace. I've watched a few fights on Yank streams and their guys are fucking awful.

Ā 

Fight was dire at the weekend, can't believe I wasted an hour of my life. Mosley wasn't there to make a show of it but Pacquiao could have done and chose not to.

Anybody see the Haye/Klitschko press conference?

Ā 

Wlad referred to Haye as "The Gaymaker" and Sky Sports News cut the feed and apologised for his language! :laugh:

Ā 

The best one on Sky Sports News was showing the live build ups to Ricky Hattonā€™s fight against Floyd Mayweather. Hatton: ā€œIā€™ve spent time with a fookin three year old the whole timeā€ and ā€œWho youā€™ve come to see? Floyd (crowd boos), me (cheers)ā€¦Letā€™s fooking ā€˜ave him!ā€

Edited by The Natural

• Paid Members

I agree, the Sky commentators are ace. I've watched a few fights on Yank streams and their guys are fucking awful.

Ā 

I don't mind the yank announcers, kinda got used to em over the years but Larry Merchant is a chore to listen to. He takes forever to spit out what he wants to say its mind numbingly dull. Never minded the others though Jim Lampley, Emanuel Steward and I quite like Teddy Atlas on Friday Night Fights.

Ā 

Jim Watt doesn't bother me most of the time but sometimes he seems to do nowt but criticize all the way through and keeps harping on the same points like in the Pac/Mosley fight.