Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

boxingbonanza_final.jpg?w=677&strip=all

interesting Matchroom card on Saturday night (adding to the already ridiculous schedule). Real solid card, Matchroom are really pushing Luis Ortiz. I imagine he walks through Malik Scott but it makes an exciting heavyweight addition for next year. Two world title fights down the bill, Martin Murray. Tidy!

* Note, Martin Murray/Arthur Abraham is off, Murray is fighting Dimitri Chudinov, sound replacement.

Danny Garcia is in a nothing fight also against Samuel Vargas. Keep busy fight until the Keith Thurman fight next year. Garcia is 1/100 on to win, tells you all you need to know.

Garcia-vs.-Vargas-Poster.jpg

• Paid Members

Eh? So if you subscribe to BT Sports you get Box Nation?

Just read about it. Anyone who subscribes to the BT Sport package will get Box Nation free from January. Great news.

Edited by wandshogun09

From what I understand basically BT have got a deal to bring the channel over to their package. I'd imagine they've taken some shares in the company, although that's just a presumption rather than fact. Press release says they're hoping to do 20 live events across BT Sport channels that are simulcast on Box Nation - I'd presume this is for those on Virgin media and some other cable services that have existing deals with BT to provide customers with the BT Sport channels in their own TV pakages rather than charging a standalone extra fee like Sky Sports do. Deal seems good to me, exposes a channel to a lot more customers than it was currently doing so there'd been rumors circulating for a while now that BN has been basically in free-fall the past year or so due to lack of content and cancelled fights. Warrens been basically pissing away money on it. This deal gives them some money to pump into signing up a few exclusive deals and should also mean Hearn has to produce better cards generally speaking to stay top of the game, he's had it easy for quite some time now as the only real boxing promoter with a prominent TV deal.

Warren now has BT and Channel 5 on-board, in-theory they must be looking eventually at building some stars through Channel 5 then sending them over to BT behind a paywall.

That main event was an embarrassment to boxing. Malik Scott spent 12 rounds running away, falling over trying to get counted out. Even when the referee did call some a knockdown, he was pulling Scott back up to continue the fight. The body shot knockdown was a blatant dive. If you're hit to the liver, its a delayed reaction. He took a bump like someone had unloaded a shotgun on him. They worked out, Scott threw 13 punches per round and about a third connected.

Didn't see the Jamie McDonnell fight but heard he got the biggest gift decision. The best score I've seen for him was a draw. One judge had McDonnell winning by 6 rounds. Even the Sky commentators had Solis winning.

• Paid Members

Solis was robbed. The best I could score it was Solis winning by 3 rounds. I couldn't imagine a scenario where McDonell won. When they announced a unanimous decision and the scores I thought justice had been done, but the Hearn bung must have worked it's magic, that can be the only explanation. Don't let the result put you off though, it's a really good fight.

The Ortiz v Scott fight was horrific. The ref actually helped Scott up after a knockdown. Scott was down for 14 seconds. I wish it had been waived off then. A truly terrible fight. If you haven't seen it then don't watch it.

The Ortiz v Scott fight was horrific. The ref actually helped Scott up after a knockdown. Scott was down for 14 seconds. I wish it had been waived off then. A truly terrible fight. If you haven't seen it then don't watch it.

It was Skelton vs Sprott without the comedy value. 

I also had Solis winning. The scorecards were laughable. 

Not yet, but I intend to. Over the past year or so, I've become a Duran fan. The Four Kings book helped that process along. I highly recommend it to anyone if they want to learn more about that era. 

Seanz - Do you have a link about Warren having Channel 5 on board? I know the McGuigans have a deal with them, as it's them who is promoting George Groves's fight on the channel this weekend. However, I've read nothing about Warren. All I've read is that he's in bed with BT, and they're going to up their input significantly.

I think BT/Warren will end up with a near-monopoly on International fights. Boxnation already gets most of them anyway. I expect the Ward vs Kovalev superfight on Saturday to be one of the last major international fights on SKY for quite some time, barring fights that involve Matchroom fighters. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Four Kings is excellent. The Hands Of Stone book on Duran by Christian Guidice is pretty great as well actually.

Duran's one of my favourite boxers ever. He was obviously before my time but I love that era in boxing and I've watched most of his career. Him and Marvin Hagler are my two favourites of the Four Kings. I like Tommy Hearns but not as much as those two. And I never really was a fan of Leonard. Great boxer but there's always been something that I found really unlikeable there.

• Paid Members

Missed the fights last weekend but saw spoilers and Eddie Hearns post-fight stuff. Sucks about Ortiz, its not too late but it appeared Hearns has high hopes for the guy, hopefully a more game opponent on December 12th will bring something out of him.