Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

It's a big fight for GGG in that he's going to be on Box Office in currently the hottest, fastest growing boxing market in the world.

Establishing his name here amongst the casual fans is a huge deal, and could really make a super fight down the line (be it against Eubank or whoever) a really big deal too.

Its a money fight against someone two weight divisions below him and I agree that helps him in the future fighting other British contenders over here if they were to ever take place. In terms of it helping the Canelo fight be bigger over in the States, I don't think so. Respect wise GGG gains nothing from smashing Brook up, but for one fight its all about the money.

Money will certainly be a factor, but this won't draw much on PPV. It's a tee shot. If Sky throw the machine behind it, he wins convincingly and that message can be sent home on Sky News in the week after, that's when the money will start to roll home. His next fight in the UK would be a big deal then.

I wouldn't be surprised if the long term plan is still Eubank/GGG. Eubank is getting a 'I want to see this kid killed' reputation. Sacrifice a name the UK fans know to GGG and suddenly you have someone everyone wants to see get pancaked up against King Crepe.

I reckon that'd do Scrooge McDuck money.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Having heard Eddie Hearn on the radio last night talking about Eubank Snrs demands for the fight no wonder they didn't do a deal. He wanted control of the show overall, including, the security used, the hotels used, what fights would be on the undercard, and what purses they got. No wonder Eddie said no.

Eddie Hearn was saying on ESPN that Eubank Jr lost the Golovkin fight because he had 24 hours to respond to the final contract but Eubank's team didn't bother. Eubank Sr was demanding which Sky Sports commentators would call the fight and how much the ticket prices would be. Eubank Sr, lost Jr about £3m.

Brook vs GGG is an interesting one. It seems as though Golovkins team have taken the Canelo vs Khan route which is OK I guess. These fights are buffers for the big one in May 2017 it seems.

I think Canelo beats Smith and GGG stops Brook. I also think GGG fights again in Nov/Dec maybe against Jacobs or someone like Tureano Johnson.

Edited by TheLowdown1987

• Paid Members

anyone catch the Boxnation show last Saturday? typical long-slog Warren show up until the main 3 fights. First Terry Flanagan struggled against a 43 year old, he won comfortably but it wasn't a performance that did Flanagan's World Title credentials much good.

Guillermo Rigondeux finally fought Jazza Dickens. It appeared a painful mis-match but we didn't really get to see much, Rigo broks Dickens jaw in 2 places witha crushing left hand in round 2.

Rigondeux may not be the worlds most popular boxer but he and his translator cut a mean promo post-fight saying that anyone he fights will have their jaws ripped off. Apparently he's fighting here again in September.

Main event was outstanding, Liam Williams/Gary Corcoran. Not a technical or flashy fight, just a foul-ridden war of a fight with a white hot atmosphere (crowd were dead all night until the main event), i love those kinds of fights. Williams TKO'd in the 11th, and despite the Champion winning, i want to see a rematch.

• Paid Members

Cleverly/Braehmer is happening 5 years after it was first announced, taking their time.

Crawford/Postol is a unification fight, high stakes, gonna be a good one.

This is Crawfords acid test. Postol has a vicious jab and Crawford is not a great knockout artist. It will be a very intruiging fight to see how Crawford gets around it.

Rumours of Crawford fighting Manny if he wins. Although from what i've read Jesse Vargos is a more likely Pacquio opponent if he comes back.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

yep, great performance. After 3 rounds i thought we may be heading for an upset but Crawford adjusted and just dominated after that. There was a great moment in round 12 where Postol got desperate and got  real aggressive, Crawford just turned up the dial and smashed him then went back to dominating on the outside, he was toying with Postol.