Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

It's everything I can do to keep up with MMA now. Something had to give and sadly it's been boxing. I still keep up but I cherry pick what I watch now.

Nov 29th is the next boxing date that matters for me. I'm completely out of touch so just to make sure - Fury vs Chisora 2 and Saunders vs Eubank are still on, right?

Yep, both fights are on as of now.

I have sort of gone the other way to yourself. I can skip MMA cards these days, but if there is boxing on SKY, I rarely miss it. Partially because SKY Boxing is on at a decent hour, and I actually have Sky Sports. (I do not have BT Sport). Only the likes of McGregor, Jones, Weidman, Rousey and Pettis are must-see for me these days.

Like EBB, I am invested in Clev vs Bellew. It is a rip off, but I am splitting the bill, so it will not rob me of much. I am also looking forward to Warren's card which was mentioned above. 

I have enjoyed 2014 overall. Floyd vs MM 1 was exciting. It was great to see Manny extract revenge on Bradley. The whole spectacle of Froch vs Groves 2 was very special. Kell Brook winning the title was probably my favourite individual moment, I think I woke half my road up when the judges scores were read out.

The positives have greatly outweighed the negatives for me.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

whoever said theres more boxing on sky now than in years are full of shit. the cards are better but were gna have to pay for every big one, even without a proper title on the line.

but there is isn't there?

Boxing in this country is doing great at the moment, i don't understand the negativity here. Just a couple of years ago Sky dropped boxing altogether, now they probably average 2 shows per month and are drawing the big crowds all over the country. Bellew/Cleverly sold 10,000 tickets in 48 hours, and that was before the majority of the undercard was announced,

nope, less boxing since matchroom got exclusive sky dates. used to be a card every week pretty much. the cards are better, but now we have to pay extra for a world title eliminator. almost as much a joke as the Groves - Degale PPV. they also sold 10 thousand tickets, but id guess a LOT of that was touts. Think Hearn even said that himself.

we are getting a lot more boxing in general and it seems to be on an upswinv but its a bad time to be a sky sports subscriber if your just a boxing fan.

Ok i hear you, yeh thinking back to the old friday fight night shows...but like you said the quality on the Matchroom shows is very good these days, they rarely put on a dud show.

As for Tony fucking Bellew, i hear you on that also but given the supporting cast, plus the Bellew-Cleverly fight i think it justifies the PPV tag. Bellew himself said that he and Ceverly alone don't warrant PPV. The guys one of the better self promoters in British boxing though, you might not like the schtick but he is without doubt.

Anyways, fuck it, im buying the PPV regardless.

whoever said theres more boxing on sky now than in years are full of shit. the cards are better but were gna have to pay for every big one, even without a proper title on the line.

but there is isn't there?

Boxing in this country is doing great at the moment, i don't understand the negativity here. Just a couple of years ago Sky dropped boxing altogether, now they probably average 2 shows per month and are drawing the big crowds all over the country. Bellew/Cleverly sold 10,000 tickets in 48 hours, and that was before the majority of the undercard was announced,

nope, less boxing since matchroom got exclusive sky dates. used to be a card every week pretty much. the cards are better, but now we have to pay extra for a world title eliminator. almost as much a joke as the Groves - Degale PPV. they also sold 10 thousand tickets, but id guess a LOT of that was touts. Think Hearn even said that himself.

we are getting a lot more boxing in general and it seems to be on an upswinv but its a bad time to be a sky sports subscriber if your just a boxing fan.

Ok i hear you, yeh thinking back to the old friday fight night shows...but like you said the quality on the Matchroom shows is very good these days, they rarely put on a dud show.

As for Tony fucking Bellew, i hear you on that also but given the supporting cast, plus the Bellew-Cleverly fight i think it justifies the PPV tag. Bellew himself said that he and Ceverly alone don't warrant PPV. The guys one of the better self promoters in British boxing though, you might not like the schtick but he is without doubt.

Anyways, fuck it, im buying the PPV regardless.

i know where your coming from but there are loads of duds that have happened, and WBA "regular" being marketed as a world championship when it really isnt. the card isnt even that good. The fury chisora one is far better.

• Paid Members

Just found out Bradley Skeete is fighting Frankie Gavin on "Bad Blood". Can't believe Warren (Who i'm assuming promotes both) is pitting both against each other. With his lack of fighters i thought these two were near top of his list. I know Gavin lost recently and Skeete is unproven.

Both are awful to watch but it's a intriguing fight.

• Paid Members

yeh, fair play i really enjoyed that.

The two looked like mirror images of each other out there, it was a tense fight, there wasn't a great deal of action but any time either guy really attacked it was explosive. Pulev actually made Klitschko do a silly dance in round when he landed ramrod job i nearly shit my pants when that happened. Pulev's got some heart on him, that final left hook would have felled a horse though, fuck me.

http://balls.ie/boxing/vine-wladimir-klitschko-decimates-kubret-pulev-fifth-round-knockout/

Nice to see Shannon Briggs doing his thing ringside too, "Lets Go Champ!"

Saw 3 belting KO's last night though...

On the Matchroom show Matthew Macklin's World Title went down the shitter after getting ironed out in the 10th round by Argentinian Jorge Sebasiten Heiland. Macklin started well but it was apparent that he couldn't hang with the sheer workrate of Heiland who was fucking machine, he beat the fight out of Macklin and finished him brutally. Not sure how much Macklin had left going in really, but i think he fought a guy who was better than anyone anticpated. Heiland is the the mandatory to the WBC title, he's exciting to watch.

https://vine.co/v/O56qTl1w1XP

the other sweet KO was in the all Ireland fight between Sullivan/Fitzgerald. It was heated pre-fight, the crowd was hot and i think everyone thought it was gonna be a good old fashioned Irish brawl, but Spike O'Sullivan came out like a fucking beast and just laid Fitzgerald out in a round, some performance and a hell of a punch.

There's the full fight.

• Paid Members

The Tapia doc is finally getting shown? About damn time. Thanks for the heads up, Piss. Really looking forward to that. 

Tapia's book is well worth a read as well, by the way. Picked it up a couple of years ago and it's an almost unblievable story. Kind of sad reading the book knowing he died so young but it's a great read.

This was the quote at the start of his book;

"My name is Johnny Lee Tapia. I was born on Friday the 13th. A Friday in February of 1967. To this day I don't know if that makes me lucky or unlucky. When I was eight I saw my mother murdered. I never knew my father. He was murdered before I was born. I was raised as a pit bull. Raised to fight to the death. Four times I was declared dead. Four times they wanted to pull life support. And many more times I came close to dying."

The documentary should be powerful viewing.