Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Wonderful story telling, these promoters sure know how to stack their bank accounts. Froch embracing the heel turn post-match saying they should have the re-match ''somewhere else'' was wonderful too, face in his home town, heel everywhere else. The double-turn was glorious.

Oh wait this is boxing isn't it?

Edited by Richard

• Paid Members

I'm not on this 'Boxing is dead' wagon. After every bad stoppage and every bad decision we get days of it. It's a shitty call by a ref, and that's it. But that doesn't mean boxing is fucked. I remember reading loads of this 'I'm finished with boxing' and 'boxing is dead' stuff after the Bradley vs Pacquiao decision last year as well. And we've had a steady flow of cracking fights this year. Crap things happen sometimes but its far from dead. In any sport where there's a ref and judges you'll get this kind of shit. This year has been choc-full of fantastic fights, this was unfortunate but doesn't change that one bit. It's not a problem that's exclusive to boxing either. Anyone on here who follows MMA will tell you there's been some shocking stoppages and decisions over the years. But I never see people coming out with a load of doom and gloom about MMA being fucked or saying they're never watching again and all that carry on.

It was a bad stoppage. There's no denying it. The worst part for me as a selfish bastard is, Froch was getting back in the fight and it feels like we were robbed of what was about to become a real classic. Just when the momentum turned the ref jumped in and called the fight. And Groves wasn't given the same opportunity to recover as Froch was. It sucks but what can you do? Unless you can invent a robot ref that's perfect and never cocks up, this will happen from time to time. Sour note to end a great fight on. It happens sometimes.

Oh well, Pacquiao vs Rios in a bit.

It was a bad stoppage. There's no denying it. The worst part for me as a selfish bastard is, Froch was getting back in the fight and it feels like we were robbed of what was about to become a real classic. Just when the momentum turned the ref jumped in and called the fight. And Groves wasn't given the same opportunity to recover as Froch was. It sucks but what can you do? Unless you can invent a robot ref that's perfect and never cocks up, this will happen from time to time. Sour note to end a great fight on. It happens sometimes.

The ref was favoring Froch throughout the whole fight, Froch should have had at least 3 points docked, one was a clear forearm smash when Groves was on the ropes, ref was eclipsed by the hype/crowd and went into business for himself. Bent as fuck.

• Paid Members

Boxing is not fucked, it's in a better position it has been in years, so anyone saying that simply don't watch much boxing.

Fucking hell, the reaction to this has been insane...literally every status on facebook is about the stoppage. It was definitely early based on the fact that those two guys were in a World Title fight! you have to let these things go until there's a definitive finish.

Now, what EVERYBODY is forgetting is that there's a very good chance that if the ref. hadn't stepped in Froch would have finished Groves straight out within the next minute or so anyway. Go back and watch the left hand Groves takes before he started falling forward, it was fucking savage! It's one of those ones where i do believe the ref. saved Groves from potentially getting hurt but you can't help but be annoyed at how quick he jumped in. The ref. annoyed me all night, it's all well and trying to keep fights clean but there was a point in the 7th (i think) where Groves committed an offence (punch being the head), Froch shrugged it off and hit Groves with two clean, solid punches and the ref halted the action to issue a warning...fucking let it go!!

As for the overall fight, Groves was fantastic but Jim Watt had me ripping what very little hair i have out of my head, the blinkers were well and truly on...of the 8 completed rounds i gave Froch 3, so i had 77-74 and that with the 10-8 opener. It was far from the absolute white wash people are saying and given the way the fight was going i'd have had Froch nicking it points in the end anyway (he was only a round behind on 2 of the cards).

Fantastic fight, marred by a poor stoppage.

• Paid Members

The ref was favoring Froch throughout the whole fight, Froch should have had at least 3 points docked, one was a clear forearm smash when Groves was on the ropes, ref was eclipsed by the hype/crowd and went into business for himself. Bent as fuck.

what about the blatant rabbit punch and headbutt from Groves? It was a rough fight, both guys were equally to blame, but as Ricky Hatton says 'it ain't a tickling contest', referee was to eager to get involved all night.

Groves hurt Froch far worse then he got hurt. Crazy thing is it would have been better for Groves to have hit the canvas, tven just take a quick knee, would have lost round 10-8 but fight would not have been stopped. Its unfair that he was not given the same chance Froch was given when seriously hurt, I see no difference, by one being a big name and the other no so much. Froch after was cringeworthy, he keeps talking bout Groves as a person and not being so nice but forgets that he started it all off in the original press conference by acting a dick. He got life tonight.

• Paid Members

Spot on Ebb and Wand.

Did Froch steal Rachel off Jim Watts or something?

Great fight with a bad stoppage. One thing that really got me into boxing was Froch K.O in the last 15 seconds against Taylor.... It's what he does!!

Groves thought a fantastic fight but he was tiring and we was heading into the championship rounds. I do think Carl has slowed down way too much in his punch throwing and reactions though.

Froch - JCC followed by Froch - Groves II for me.

• Paid Members
Now, what EVERYBODY is forgetting is that there's a very good chance that if the ref. hadn't stepped in Froch would have finished Groves straight out within the next minute or so anyway. Go back and watch the left hand Groves takes before he started falling forward, it was fucking savage! It's one of those ones where i do believe the ref. saved Groves from potentially getting hurt but you can't help but be annoyed at how quick he jumped in.

That's a good point. Even while Groves was arguing with the ref his legs were wobbly. It's just shit that we'll never know for sure. I agree with Gooner that Groves would've been wise to go down and take a count. I guess with the adrenaline going though you don't think like that.

Anyway to lighten the mood, from the Pacquiao vs Rios weigh in - heavyweight Andy Ruiz Jr ogling some silicone;

BZtpPEJCcAE31Ha.jpg

His tits aren't bad either.

• Paid Members

Jim Powell thinks they can do Old Trafford in the rematch.

I just think Carl knows his on his last legs. Go over to America take the big fight with the big money with a unmotivated Chavez JR. 50/50 fight win or lose come back to the U.K and do the rematch.

He does the rematch and loses then those fights with JCC/GGG and Ward disappear.

• Paid Members

Anyway to lighten the mood, from the Pacquiao vs Rios weigh in - heavyweight Andy Ruiz Jr ogling some silicone;

BZtpPEJCcAE31Ha.jpg

His tits aren't bad either.

what a weird physique, look at the legs on the cunt!

I agree with the best face/heel turn since Austin/Bret at Mania 13, it was unbelievable. Is this talk about Froch facing Chavez Jnr true? I hope not, he won't go near Ward, maybe he got more confidence against GGG. It really depends on what that done to Froch tonight, he may believe he took it easy, took Groves best, finished him late on as he thought and there's no issue. Kess hurt him to his core in the fight before, he needs to sort that defence out.

• Paid Members

im pretty sure Hearn is gonna try setting up the rematch...people may say he wont to protect Froch, but why would he? a Froch/Groves rematch is the biggest fight he can make right now, that would well out the o2 in 10mins.

• Paid Members
I agree with the best face/heel turn since Austin/Bret at Mania 13, it was unbelievable. Is this talk about Froch facing Chavez Jnr true? I hope not, he won't go near Ward, maybe he got more confidence against GGG. It really depends on what that done to Froch tonight, he may believe he took it easy, took Groves best, finished him late on as he thought and there's no issue. Kess hurt him to his core in the fight before, he needs to sort that defence out.

I think the ship as truly sailed on any Froch improvements. It's about getting the most of what his got left. Apparently Forch has a route/plan to retire within a few fights. After tonight i'm sure the route as changed but from reports there is 4 fights out there...

-Ward

-GGG

-JCC

-Groves

I'm guessing we can all say the Kessler trilogy is gone which was also another possibility. For Froch i have no doubt it's all about making the most money he can out of a combination of them fights.

Just got in.

Well, the reaction in the arena was mental, Froch started the night almost as popular as Hatton was in the arena, he finished the night about as popular as a fart in the face.

The atmosphere was tremendous, there was pockets of Groves fans, but is was 90-10 Froch. The knockdown on the first was a shock, and the rounds that followed were all exciting, the 7th inside the arena was deafening.

I will have to watch the stoppage properly, but on the night myself and the crowd did not agree, as I am sure you can tell. I had Groves up by a few points as the time of the stoppage, again I would have to watch it back, a lot of Froch's work it was hard for me to tell if he was landing clean, even with a cracking view of the big screen. Froch was landing jabs, but most of the meaty stuff came from Groves. It was clear Groves was tiring around the 6th round.

It was the best fight I have seen live, despite the ending. Me and my Brother both agreed it should have not been stopped, but he felt it should have gone on where he believed Froch could have finished him, where I felt it maybe should have been a standing 8 count. The turn in popularity was instant, I could lip read Froch telling Groves "fuck off" from the big screen, from there when Groves climbed the turnbuckles, he was greeted with deafening cheers. Froch was booed by all during the interview afterwards.

The crowd were well behaved after the fight, and we slipped out as the interview was wrapping up, there was a crowd brawl during the fight, which looked a bit nasty, we were directly facing it as we were above the entrance way in the first row of the upper tier.

I am sure this fight will be disputed for some time.

Edited by jimufctna24