Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

HBO has Rios vs Alvarado 2 this weekend then. Rematch of their brilliant FOTY contender last year. Can't wait. Anyone know what channel (if any) it's on here? Nothing on BoxNation about it. Is it on Sky?

Here's the first fight if you haven't seen it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MH8kq8wGOo

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

i haven't heard, i'll try grabbing in Sunday morning though, Tony Bellew fights on Sky this weekend too.

Wanted to ask the question about Boxing Biopics. Ive been quite surprised to find the amount of boxing biopic movies or just pure boxing related movies that are out there to watch, there's a select 5-10 that always get mentioned but there's a ton of others, any recommendations?

I watched an old HBO movie called Tyson called last night. Documents Mike Tyson's rise up until his imprisonment. A young Michael Jae White plays Tyson to aplomb, and whilst it's a story im all to familiar with it was a quality little movie. There were a few nuggets of info in there that i had no knowlegde of that remain subjective topics of conversation (Robin Givens faking pregnancy, the Mitch Green street fight).

Oh special mention to Paul Winfield as Don King too!

Tyson_movie_1995.JPG

Im gonna go into completist mode and try to watch as many as i can so get em listed, here's an example of one that i had no idea of...

rocky-marciano-jon-favreau-vhs-cover-art.jpg

Ive also got a Champion here to watch which is the biopic of tragic Korean boxer Kim Deuk-Gu. There's also a Jon Leguizamo directed movie called Undefeated which is based on the sport.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Cheers. I haven't had chance to check the EPG and it wasn't listed on the schedule on BoxNation's site when I looked last night. Hopefully it will be on,.

I haven't seen much in the way of boxing biopics. I'll give the above a watch when I get chance. The mention of them alone made me think of the excellent job James Toney did as Joe Frazier in Will Smith's Ali film. He had Frazier's style mimicked to a tee.

There's meant to be a Roberto Duran film in the works called 'Hands Of Stone'. With De Niro playing Ray Arcel (!) and Usher playing Ray Leonard (?), Andy Garcia is rumoured for the role of Carlos Eleta. Gael Garcia Bernal (anyone familiar?) is in as Duran himself. It's due out in 2014 apparently.

• Moderators
There's meant to be a Roberto Duran film in the works called 'Hands Of Stone'. With De Niro playing Ray Arcel (!) and Usher playing Ray Leonard (?), Andy Garcia is rumoured for the role of Carlos Eleta. Gael Garcia Bernal (anyone familiar?) is in as Duran himself. It's due out in 2014 apparently.

I've not seen loads of films he's been in, but he has been good in everything I have seen him in.

• Paid Members

Last time i saw anything mentioned about Rios-Alvarado II was Box nation were negotiating to broadcast.

I think they will get it by time Saturday rolls around but it's a bit mental they left it so long.

FOTY for 2012 for me no doubt.

Here's a HBO presentation

I see Audley's been added to the Khan/Diaz undercard. He's going to have his hands full with the undefeated American heavyweight hope, Deontay Wilder.

Ricky Burns has got a new fight scheduled on May 11th against the undefeated Puerto Rican, Jose Gonzalez. He had to take the fight otherwise he would of been stripped of his belt.

This weekend is a real bumper pack of boxing. Tony Bellew against Isaac Chilemba with Derry Matthews/Anthony Crolla on the undercard.

Gennady Golovkin fighting in Monte Carlo with a $1m middleweight tournament also on the event.

Alvarado vs. Rios II should be another all out war. On the HBO Docu-preview-show Alvarado's face is covered in scars, which I presume is from heavy sparring. And Rios' voice is worryingly starting to sound slurred. Breidis Prescott is also on the undercard.

Has anyone else heard or read that big audley is meant to have put wilder down before i sparring? I read it on box news 24 but alot of the stuff you read on there is shite so it may well be bollocks. Ive seen Wilder a few times and he looks a bit wild pardon the pun. Hes never fought anyone good either from what ive read so he must be being protected. It could be a good chance for audley to finally get his klitchko shot if he beats him.

• Paid Members

didnt see that one coming, Wilder is 25-0 with 25 kos but people are very sceptical of his record...ill be watching that.

HBO have announced they'll be doing a new Legendary Nights show in June for Gatti-Ward 3, think its a one off but thats gonna be quality. The original Legendary Nights series was awesome.

didnt see that one coming, Wilder is 25-0 with 25 kos but people are very sceptical of his record...ill be watching that.

HBO have announced they'll be doing a new Legendary Nights show in June for Gatti-Ward 3, think its a one off but thats gonna be quality. The original Legendary Nights series was awesome.

Is there legendary nights shows for the first 2? They are brilliant shows.

On a side note, i think the fight in Rocky Balboa has a touch of the gatti ward 3 about.

• Paid Members

Great news about Legendary Nights.

Is there legendary nights shows for the first 2?.

No, they never did any Legendary Nights for any of the Gatti vs Ward fights. I was hoping they'd do one on the trilogy as a whole like they did with Holyfield vs Bowe, but can't complain and this will likely touch on the first 2 fights anyway. They're probably spotlighting #3 because it's the 10 year anniversary of that fight in June.

Wonder if they will do more Legendary Nights this year though. The last lot were made in 2003 to celebrate 30 years of boxing on HBO. So hopefully they'll pump out more for the 40th this year.

Pacquiao vs Marquez quadrilogy

Barrera vs Morales trilogy

Trinidad vs Vargas

Cotto vs Margarito 1 & 2

Mayweather vs Hatton

Jones vs Toney

Lewis vs Holyfield 1 & 2

Mayweather vs De La Hoya

All would be good subjects either for fight significance, fight quality or the stories/controversy around them.