Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

i was actually considering going a few weeks ago. I don't see how Warren promoted this without having it all nailed down. What the fuck.

It's how he does things, the man is an absolute cretin. After the farce of Khan v Kotelnik when he shifted it from London to manchester at about 3 weeks notice, completely fucking up my non-refundable train tickets and hotel room I promised never to give the slimeball another penny of my money ever again. Except for me getting some dirt, dirt cheap tickets for the Magnificent 7 card in Birmingham a few years back I've stuck to that. Never once had any inclination to shell out for BoxNation or any of his shows since then and never will.

The whole show has been postponed until 20th April. Vasquez supposedly had the shits and had a doctors note last week (doing the rounds online) but now there is a photo of him in the gym training from last Saturday on Twitter. Warren was on Bunce's Boxing Hour earlier blowing a gasket blaming a small minority for ruining his show and slagging off Matchroom as well. He's going to put the fights contract up online tomorrow, as that video of Vasquez surfaced saying the fight wasn't a concrete deal last month. Burn's camp are fuming. His manager has said Burns has wasted

One thing I have been thinking about over the past week and would like to hear you guys' thoughts on, is how the big two promotions are putting on shows and developing fighters. Which one is the better way of going about it.

Matchroom like to put on the fights which will get them the most exposure. They may not always win but they take the chance and go to fight in someone else's back yard to get their name out there. (Broner vs. Rees, Barker vs. Martinez, Froch vs. Ward) More likely to give the fans and their own fighters what they want and won't try to hold them back.

Frank Warren Promotions stack their cards so they have big fight shows. They rarely take their fighters out of the country for a big test but we get to see the fights live at a decent time. Rather play it safe with the home advantage and not jeopardise win/loss records. Possibly holding fighters back and the bouts may not always be the best option available.

• Paid Members

Warren loves pumping out these mega cards that are big on name value from his standpoint, but they usually end up being mismatches (thought Matchroom's card tonight is a similar kind of deal)...boxing's a weird business in that promoters are so protective of their fighters that you literally see fighters go years without fighting anyone who remotely challenges them.

It's all about money and it's fucking annoying as a fan.

Something must be seriously wrong in Warren's camp for everyone to be up and leaving him though. If Cleverly leaves, who's left?

• Paid Members

well, B-Hop did it again. It's insane how at his age he still takes on the cream of the group, comes out completely unscathed and just makes his younger opponents look quite foolish. High action is never part of a Hopkins fight and to a non-boxing fan he can't be much value but as a fan you just have to appreciate what he does in there.

After the bell he seemed to be having a bit of a pop at everyone, it was weird, Don King looked to take a bit of a tongue lashing but unfortunately you couldn't make out what was being said.

edit:

I think Hopkins was telling King he was 'done' in boxing...Cloud was King's last World Champion.

Hopkins post fight.

and here's a video of Keith Thurman and Paulie Malignaggi getting into it at the post fight, gotta love Paulie:

Thurman-Malignaggi

Edited by Ebb

Broner going up two weight divisions to fight for the title after only two fights at 135lbs is interesting to say the least. I thought he would stay between 135-140lbs for the next couple of years. I expect him to beat Paulie and what happens from there is anyone's guess. The thing is if he stays at that weight division people are going to be clamarring for him to face guys like May, Pac, Bradley, Marquez, Guerrero, Alexander, Brook, Berto and so on. The 147lbs division is stacked. He would always go up there, win the title and drop down if he feels his body is able to, but if he was to destroy Paulie I'd be very surprised to see him wanna put his body through it and come back down. One thing it does do is gives up a much more realistic prospect of him facing Pacman or even better yet Money May somewhere In the next 18-24 months.