Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I like the Mayweather vs Cotto fight, from what's on the table regarding alternative opponents not named Manny Pacquiao. As usual, Mayweather will catch a lot of shit from the usual groups of nay-sayers with the same tired arse criticisms.

Unlike the Cotto vs Pacquiao fight (held at 144lbs yet was still for Cotto's WBOwelterweight title ), this will not be a catchweight, this will be at 154.

I've remained positive about the Floyd vs Pac fight, as I believed that it would be made eventually. However, (and I've never said this before ) this fight will never happen. It's not because of how long this bollocks has been going on for, it's because of one man.... Bob Arum. I've seen more than enough evidence to know that he has never had any intention of making the fight, not because of any fear of his biggest star being on the end of an inevitable humiliating beat down from Floyd.... It's due to the fact that he really does not want anybody outside of Top Rank anywhere near his business records as far as Manny Pacquiao is concerned.

I really want to go into detail on this, but I'm having to use my tablet to post and it takes ages to do so on these things, but to put it in the simplest terms; Arum and Koncz (Mannys adviser), beginning with the Cotto fight in November 2009,have been robbing Pacquiao of serious money.... I'm talking millions here. Now, some of you will probably already read or heard this rumour, but the articles on various websites have all mysteriously vanished. Obviously, you can't take articles on the web for gospel, so I done some research of my own and used a few of my own contacts to point me in the right direction. There was also a public domain record from the NSAC released into the boxing media community this week, and although it doesn't automatically prove anything on its own, but it does when you dig into the subject properly.

In a nutshell, Floyd and Manny generate roughly the same PPVbuys each time they fight.... However, Floyd hasbeen paid; $20M vs Ortiz, $20M for Mosley, $15 for Marquez and $12M for Hatton, those totals are amounts which he was guaranteed and he received these amounts but they do not include his cut of the PPV buys.

Pacquiao however, has never received more than $6M for any of his fights beginning with the Hatton fight. Arum hid behind the smokescreen of "he will probably clear roughly around $15M for each fight. There's only one problem though, Manny never received any of the PPV money, so even taking out Arum's 27.5% cut, there's still millions not accounted for. Manny also had a company called VisionQuest to review his financial status, and not long after they began, they noticed "seriously alarming discrepancies regarding Mannys fight purses, and even more concerned with numerous withdrawals by Mike Koncz for ridiculous amounts of money, and why Koncz had bought a house for himself using Pacquiao's money and WITHOUT PACQUIAO'S KNOWLEDGE ".

Not long after raising the alarm to Manny, Arum convinced Pacquiao to fire them because they "didn't know what they were doing". Strange eh?

It doesn't end there. Pacquiao has lately this last year, received advances from Arum during training camps for cars etc, in the weeks leading up to the 3rd Marquez fight, Manny got an advance from Arum to buy a Ferrari for something not much less than 500K, to be paid back out of his purse for the fight. Read on; When fighters get a cut of PPV money, it doesn't go to them in one lump sum, it can take up to a year for everything to be paid up.... For example; they might get 50k one month, then 200k the next month and so on. Pacquiao didn't know that, he may not even today, so when Arum on behalf of Top rank collects the loan back from Manny for the large sums he kept being advanced.... in reality those advances were his own money anyway from the PPV percentage checks which kept rolling in every month, unknown to Manny. In essence he was paying for those cars twice over.

It's a ticking timebomb soon to go off. Most articles on the web regarding this have been pulled off, but there's a couple of interviews with Ariza and Freddie Roach where they more or less confirm these stories.

• Paid Members

Jesus that sounds really shady. I'd read some of the Arum is robbing Pacquiao stuff but the stuff I saw was mostly on forums and didn't have a lot of detail so I didn't pay too much attention, although I suspected it was likely true because Arum's always seemed like a slimey fucker to me.

I've always thought it was Arum blocking a Pac/Floyd fight aswell. I didn't know the details you posted but I thought it was because he was just trying to keep Manny from possibly retiring and having the Floyd fight dangling to keep him fighting. Freddie Roach has said a few times that if they got the Mayweather fight Manny would probably retire after that win or lose and go out in the biggest fight possible and go into politics full time. Arum obviously wouldn't want that because Manny's his number 1 cash cow. I've got a feeling he's keeping the carrot of the Mayweather fight dangling in front of Manny but then putting obstacles in the way of it to keep Manny taking other fights for less money and still pocketing millions himself.

This combined with your post and I can't think of any other reason why it hasn't happened. The drug testing stuff was all pre-fight game playing imo but I honestly believe they both want the fight. It's Arum who has financial interest in it not happening for the reasons in both our posts. Plus if the fight came off and he promoted it wouldn't he then also have to pay both fighters? His percentage of the money would be considerably less if he had to pay someone like Floyd compared to what he could get away with for someone like Clottey or Tim Bradley (who was mentioned as a potential opponent for Manny).

I like Floyd vs Cotto aswell. That's a fight that should have happened years ago when Cotto was also unbeaten. There's been a lot of talk over the years of them ducking each other so I'm glad it's happening to put that shit to rest. If the Manny fight wasn't gonna happen it was Floyd/Cotto I would have wanted so I'm happy with that. Who does Manny fight now then? Bradley, Peterson, Marquez again?

Off the point a bit but where have you been Taylor? Get posting in here more often mate :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Angelo Dundee has died. :(

Oh fuck that's really sad news. He must have been in his 80's so it's not a massive shock but still sad news to wake up to. One of the greatest trainers in Boxing history, there was a reason guys like Ali, Foreman and Leonard had him around. Everytime I see Ray Leonard I think of Dundee's "You're blowing it son, you're blowing it".

RIP

Angelo Dundee has died. :(

Oh fuck that's really sad news. He must have been in his 80's so it's not a massive shock but still sad news to wake up to. One of the greatest trainers in Boxing history, there was a reason guys like Ali, Foreman and Leonard had him around. Everytime I see Ray Leonard I think of Dundee's "You're blowing it son, you're blowing it".

RIP

Angelo Dundee was 90 years old. Good innings. R.I.P.

Edited by The Natural

I use Eastside as well, but do not post.

I REALLY do not like Bob Arum, I used to think Floyd was the one ducking but now I believe it is Arum. Pac, Roach and Floyd are pretty clean on this one. I think Floyd will beat Cotto.

Any of the regulars care to break down Pac vs Bradley for me please

If the rematch between Lamont Peterson and Amir Khan can't be made, and all indications suggest that it probably won't be made, at least not at the 140 pound limit, then Amir Khan will most likely pursue opponents in the welterweight division. One name was thrown out there as a possible Khan opponent and that was ageless blunder Shane Mosley. Now, I say "blunder" in my description of his recent outing against the two best pound for pound fighters in the world. One shouldn't dismiss losing to the two best fighters in the world; however the way in which Mosley lost is another story. Against Mayweather he looked old, shot, and stiff, against Pacquiao he had some early moments but soon realized it's better to avoid confrontation than to be on the receiving end of a Manny Pacquiao knockout punch.

The idea of a Khan/Mosley fight doesn't sit well with me for obvious reasons, chief among them being the fact that Shane Mosley hasn't looked impressive since he destroyed Antonio Margarito. Now, Margarito was made for Mosley stylistically but the same cannot be said for Amir Khan. Khan would use his speed and combinations to overwhelm Mosley and if you thought he looked old compared to a 34 year old Floyd Mayweather and a 32 year old Manny Pacquiao, one could imagine how ancient he'd look compared to the 25 year old from Bolton. I'd much rather Khan make his welterweight debut against the winner of the Andre Berto/Victor Ortiz rematch, or perhaps the winner of Kell Brook/Matthew Hatton, which in all honesty makes the most sense because it

• Paid Members
Berto v Ortiz has been postponed, Berto needs surgery on his arm after a training injury. I would like to see Khan v Brook or Ortiz myself.

Saul Alverez is meant to be fighting on the Mayweather Cotto undercard, but no opponent has been named yet.

Yeah just read that about Alvarez too. Who do you reckon they'll match him with? Paul Williams maybe? I saw Alvarez was being named as a potential opponent for Mayweather or Cotto before they signed to fight each other so maybe Canelo is being lined up for the winner if this Pacquiao mess doesn't get sorted.

Edited by wandshogun09