Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
^ no problem :)

Forgot to mention this but did anyone else notice James Thompson and Mustapha Al-Turk in Haye's posse in the walkouts?

And Tyson's looking trim, he was a right lard arse not too long ago.

Yeah I noticed Thompson, must be nice for him to walk to the ring knowing hes not going to get knocked out for a change. On a side note he was looking a bit boss-eyed, is that damage from one of his fight? That guy is going to have serious health issues if he carries on fighting

Well i thought the fight was pretty shite! How much of what Haye promised did he actually deliver?

Did you actually think he was going to deliver what he said? He was doing his best to make sure that people bought the fight and made him money.

Well i realise that he was hyping the fight,What i did not realise was that he was talking 100% Bollocks! The main point i was trying to make was that IMO the fight was fairly rubbish, Which contradicted the opinions of the other poster.

It wasn't rubbish, it was a heavyweight match, slow in places and very cautious. It depends what you like in sport, if you like fast paced hell for leather action you wouldn't have enjoyed it. If you enjoy the tactical and technical side of sport you'd have enjoyed it.

Is there still a general opinion that Haye was hammered last night? Pretty harsh if so.

Why is it when people talk about boxing, they turn into utter haters? I watched the Sam Peter fight, Peter was soundly beaten.

I was talking about the first Peter fight.

I'm not turning into a "hater", whatever the fuck that means. I've said since the get-go that Haye had virtually zero chance of winning. His behaviour in the build-up to the fight made him look like a tit when he couldn't even come close to delivering. That has been added to by his sad excuses after the fight.

If you're going to talk yourself up before a fight (and I love all that shit in MMA, and even when the likes of Mayweather does it) you should make sure you have at least some chance of doing what you're claiming you can do. If you don't, you just look ridiculous, which is what's happened to Haye.

Well i thought the fight was pretty shite! How much of what Haye promised did he actually deliver?

Did you actually think he was going to deliver what he said? He was doing his best to make sure that people bought the fight and made him money.

You are aware of how boxing works, yeah?

I said that Haye did his best to sell the fight, didn't I?

Is there still a general opinion that Haye was hammered last night? Pretty harsh if so.

Hammered? No. Klitschko rarely hammers anyone though, does he?

The general opinion is that Haye was soundly beaten by a much better boxer I would think.

When I saw Haye moving out of the way of Klitschko's punches, I thought he had a good chance. But then thats all he was doing. He was moving his head well but didnt use it to move into his own punches. I understand he wanted to hype it, but if you spend that much time hyping it and disrespecting your opponent, you better be able to do something. Notice how at the end he did what Klitschko wanted and shook his hand. What an asshole, then went and blamed it on his broken toe. Hopefully he keeps to his retirement

Edited by Barrington

Well i realise that he was hyping the fight,What i did not realise was that he was talking 100% Bollocks! The main point i was trying to make was that IMO the fight was fairly rubbish, Which contradicted the opinions of the other poster.

It wasn't rubbish, it was a heavyweight match, slow in places and very cautious. It depends what you like in sport, if you like fast paced hell for leather action you wouldn't have enjoyed it. If you enjoy the tactical and technical side of sport you'd have enjoyed it.

I said it was fairly rubbish. Regardless of the weight division, I like the boxers to hit each other quite a bit, As opposed to standing off for 12 rounds. Does "The Tactical and Technical side of the sport" Allow you to do very little? If so Audley Harrison was a tactical/Technical genious against Haye?

• Paid Members

What do you guys think Haye's gameplan was? From what I saw, I think he wanted to give Klitschko the first half of the fight, and then hope to catch him with a hayemaker. Both fighters were talking about the knockout, but Haye was too reliant on it throughout the fight, whereas Klitschko made sure the priority was to be ahead on points with a possible bonus of a knockout.

Haye was soundly beaten. Sky News' coverage of the fight post-weigh in on Friday was absolutely cringeworthy. Comparisons between him and Muhammad Ali are just about the most insulting thing I've seen in sport for years. There is no similarity between them: Ali was the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time and his trash-talking was done with style and charm. Haye is a knob who runs his mouth.

I said it was fairly rubbish. Regardless of the weight division, I like the boxers to hit each other quite a bit, As opposed to standing off for 12 rounds. Does "The Tactical and Technical side of the sport" Allow you to do very little? If so Audley Harrison was a tactical/Technical genious against Haye?

No, thats just being stupid isnt it. Neither fighter wanted to give much away and really didnt want to get caught by a big blow during the fight, both fighters were caught badly at points, both were cut at points too. If you want to see two guys goo flying in with fists flying all over the place then the heavyweight division isnt for you.

Did they really compare David Haye to Ali? Thats the biggest insult anyone could've given to Ali. Exactley rightSnake. Ali spoke like a poet. Very charismatic, very energetic and maybe a comical genius. When he spent a few round making his opponent miss, you just new it was going to be follwed up with some nasty punches. He had the balls to stand in front of people and insult them, because he could move and hit. When Haye was insulting Klitschko, and making his comments, he really didnt sound like he meant it. It was almost like, "I'll talk trash and hopefully in time for the fight I'll believe it enough to be able to fight". What a joke. If you go to that extent of disrespect, it has to be for a reason, not just because it sounds good. Not one thing he said was comical or believable. I cant believe someone actually made that comparison. David Haye is nowhere near any of the great heavyweights. He's only in the history books because he held the title. Other than that, no one will look back and think of him as great, even that good.

• Paid Members

I watched the last three rounds in the pub. It looked like a boring fight and Haye was playing into Klitschkos hands with his tactics.

I was suprised to hear the loud cheering when Klitschkos name was announced too. It appears the combination of his joke of a fight with Harrison (people go on about Klitschko fighting weak opponents...) and his smack talk turned people against him. I'm always amazed that people can't see that Haye was just hyping up a fight and creating buzz (then again some people are idiots).

Ah well, at least something interesting happened in the Heavyweight divsion.

No, thats just being stupid isnt it. Neither fighter wanted to give much away and really didnt want to get caught by a big blow during the fight, both fighters were caught badly at points, both were cut at points too. If you want to see two guys goo flying in with fists flying all over the place then the heavyweight division isnt for you.

I would have said that both fighters faces were scuffed or marked up, If you want to see a cut up Klitschko then check out the Lewis/Klitschko fight. I do totally agree that neither fighter wanted to give much away & IMO that is exactly what they did. Hence the reason why i felt the fight was "Fairly Rubbish"?

It's a pasting when one boxer looks like a heavyweight champ, and the other looks for all the world like a last minute replacement, rather than the guy who was going to send him home in an ambulance.

And yet it went to points and Haye had a mild cut below his eye and thats about it. If the two were as you described then it wouldn't have gone the distance.

My opinion for what it's worth is that Vlad, no both Klitschlko's are boring fucks who have aside from Germany bored most of the world away from the heavyweight division. Good fighters but not great and benefiting from a lack of decent opposition. Haye did more than his job and sold the fight brilliantly and created the most interest in the division since Lewis/Tyson and sadly couldn't get past what by and large is a pretty harmless, yet annoying jab.

They will have to rematch now as unless the brothers fight eachother they don't have a money match out there, but this time the sell will be harder as both looked lack lustre and boring in the ring and i'm not sure how Haye can push the envelope any further in creating interest for the general public.

The broken toe was a good start though.

• Paid Members

My criteria for a pasting is Calzaghe vs Lacy, and that was a points victory - the Klitschkos ARE both boring bastards, but they're the best heavyweight boxers out there. It's killing the division, and hopefully when they're done it can start to come back, but I didn't bother rooting for Haye, as he had no hope, imho. Haye was far from doing his part - sure, he hyped it up, in a cheap heat kind of way that made him look like a cunt, but the major part of the job is there in the ring.