Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I'd like to know if anyone in the US really gives a fuck about either Klitschko to be honest because for the longest time the division has been completely stagnent and the US doesn't even seem interested in the Klitschko's either.

Heavyweight boxing is in a all time low and I think David Haye could take out at least one of the Klitschkos'. I always had Vitali down as the harder brother to beat and Wladimir being the easier of the two thanks to Vitali's performance against Lewis and also Wladimir's losses being worse then Vitali's. Anyway for what its worth Wladimir had this to say to Radio 5 live today

"I'm ready any minute to sign a 50-50 contract," Klitschko told BBC Radio Five on Monday.

"We are both world champions so let's fight. Let's make the fight in the spring time - I'm ready, the question is for David Haye.

Coupled with Haye saying its gonna happen, Adam Booth saying its 99.9% certain and it looks like now we have a fight with no contractual things getting in the way, so I'll guess we'll see next year then?

• Paid Members
i seriously don't get the 'cocky Khan' thing!? someone please give me an example of when Khan fought cocky or sounded cocky in an interview, he might be confident, but ive always thought he comes across fairly grounded. Now, Prince Naseem...he was cocky.

He got very "cocky" after his first few fights, mainly as he was being fed nobodies. I would say confident also, but it was to a point where when he fought said cuban guy he thought it would be a walk in the park.......Until he got KO'ed. Be it confidence gone wrong or cockyness, it just looks bad when people see your being fed nobodies to bumps up your record, and then you act like your very very good at boxing.

Again he IS good, but i think it went to his head a bit. These days he's very good, and is a bit more down to earth, but it was mainly back in the start of his carrear.

again, ive watched every fight of Khan's career and ive never seen him get overly cocky? he talks with confidence but for a boxer i think he's very humble. As for his level opponent, bashing that is ridiculous, look at any top boxer and they all started their career fighting 'bums', the difference with Khan is that he did it in the spotlight. No different to what Frankie Gavin and co. are doing now.

I aware most people do this, but in khans case , (although i think it was butch who mentioned something about him being asian which is dead wrong), i personalyl think the public thought "Wow, hes a good kid. It'll be interesting to watch him fight", and we basically got the "Number-Bumpers" like most pros do. I think the main issue is most people expected him to have a certain level of competition and not just bums.

And your are right in saying most of the time he has been (and is currently) very level headed, although for example...(although im going to sound very stupid here)....in one of his early fights, i tihnk it was after a couple of wins and "Confidence talk" such as "i'll beat this guy etc etc", if i remeber rightly he was punched very hard by his then lower class opponant, who then khan complained the the refferee about it. Now again that might sound a bit stupid, i remeber although mainly because of the lower class guys i cant remeber the guys name, but it was that sort of stuff along with his "Confidence" that started people not liking him very much.

Again, should he be confident? Yes, he talks the talk and when he wants to, he also walks the walk. Did his confidence inflate his ego a little bit during the first few fights? Yes it did, which ultimately lead to his only defeat so far, which in fair dues, kicked him up the arse into being the fighter that he is now. To people dilike him now? yeah, although i would say those people havent watched since around that time, becaues of the talk/hype and then susequent KO.

I now personally like him very much, he's shown he can do good and is doing very well currently. Again i personally think he did have a ego after a few fights because he may have bought his own hype a little bit, the evidence being his "Swagger" and then followed by his KO.

Apologies if you disagree, but i reckon alot of people saw what im talking about! Not because he is asian, (although im guessing some may be because of that), as im guessing the 95% of people who didnt like him are either stupid "Pub boxing fans" or saw what i was talking about.

• Paid Members
Anyway for what its worth Wladimir had this to say to Radio 5 live today

"I'm ready any minute to sign a 50-50 contract," Klitschko told BBC Radio Five on Monday.

"We are both world champions so let's fight. Let's make the fight in the spring time - I'm ready, the question is for David Haye.

Coupled with Haye saying its gonna happen, Adam Booth saying its 99.9% certain and it looks like now we have a fight with no contractual things getting in the way, so I'll guess we'll see next year then?

Was it not the rematch clauses that Haye had a problem with? Isn't Derek Chisora tied up for 3 fights if he somehow wins his fight?

Anyway for what its worth Wladimir had this to say to Radio 5 live today

Was it not the rematch clauses that Haye had a problem with? Isn't Derek Chisora tied up for 3 fights if he somehow wins his fight?

He's mentioned the rematch clause before about how they'd tie him up for years fighting whoever they want him to fight or something to that affect. Last time I heard it was that the Klitskcho's wanted all of the German PPV money and then half of the UK fight money where Haye wanted it 50-50. After they said no, Haye offered them to keep all the German money and he'd keep all the UK money which they said no again and it broke down. Theres a video somewhere with Haye going into it all. Now they've offered 50-50 and if its all good Haye will take the fight, no doubt in my mind.

Last time I heard it was that the Klitskcho's wanted all of the German PPV money and then half of the UK fight money where Haye wanted it 50-50. After they said no, Haye offered them to keep all the German money and he'd keep all the UK money which they said no again and it broke down. Theres a video somewhere with Haye going into it all. Now they've offered 50-50 and if its all good Haye will take the fight, no doubt in my mind.

So, you're basically going on rumours and what you've heard?

The funny thing is, Klitschko's story is ever so slightly different from that.

EDIT: Not sure if this has been posted, but apparently Haye is under investigation for betting on the fight;

David Haye has his sights trained on the Klitschko brothers, but the fallout from his controversial win over Audley Harrison continues with the British Boxing Board of Control set to investigate the champion's comments about placing a bet on himself to win the fight.

The referee stopped the contest in the third, deeming Harrison in no state to defend himself, after the first two rounds had passed off with barely a punch being thrown. There have been calls for Harrison to have his purse withheld on account of his abject display, and the BBBC are planning to take a look, but the post-fight comments of Haye have also come to their attention.

In his post-fight interview, Haye said: "I put a lot of money on the third round and a lot of my friends and family did. I didn't want to let them down by doing him too early. Ask around - I told everyone I'd knock him out in three rounds. That's exactly what I did. No way was he going into that fourth round."

With Haye's statement clear, board general secretary Robert Smith said: "It is against our regulations for boxers to bet on themselves."

There is little danger of the fight being annulled, as Smith continued: "We will examine the case and the sanctions available to us. We could be looking at a fine but if we find that David acted in ignorance of the laws, a warning might be appropriate."

Edited by David

Booth said Haye would never fight Audley because it would be an 'embarassment of a fight' or something similar.

We know how that turned out, eh? :rolleyes:

Booth said Haye would never fight Audley because it would be an 'embarassment of a fight' or something similar.

We know how that turned out, eh? :rolleyes:

And they were right. But the fights with Klitschko's broke down and the biggest money fight that would generate the most interest was Audley, everyone knew it would be a joke but it was perfect for Haye, he gets a nice fat payday, one of the easiest fights anyone could ever have and literally took no damage in the fight and is now fresh as a daisy for next year hopefully against Wladimir.

David, I was going on what Haye had actually said in a video, if your countering that with "well Klitschko says differently" why should I believe Wladimir instead? Now that Klitschko has said he'll offer 50-50 it sure looks like he wasn't offering that last time was he?

Edited by Lawz

• Paid Members

Wasnt the first deal (before Haye pulled out with injury) that he had to beat Wvladamir twice, to get to vitali? I could be wrong but thats what i remeber seeing on the news around that time.

If he could wvladimir for title X, he would he give him a rematch for other titles on the line.......then heading for Vitali and his title.

?

You seem to be under the impression that Vitali is the top man in the heavyweight division, which isn't the case.

He holds the WBC version of the heavyweight title, whilst his brother holds the IBF, IBO, WBO and Ring Magazine belts.

Wladimir is the #1 fighter in Heavyweight boxing at the moment.

• Paid Members
You seem to be under the impression that Vitali is the top man in the heavyweight division, which isn't the case.

He holds the WBC version of the heavyweight title, whilst his brother holds the IBF, IBO, WBO and Ring Magazine belts.

Wladimir is the #1 fighter in Heavyweight boxing at the moment.

I am aware of this, im just saying, im pretty sure thats what the first deal was. Not my idea of what it should be, what it was. Tell that to them!

• Paid Members
Any interest in the Froch vs Abraham fight coming up?

fuck yeah, it's gonna be a good one. Carl Froch is a real f'n fighter, obviously there's some politics involved but that guy is getting in there with the best guys in his division time after time.

• Paid Members

it goes from bad to worse...people are now saying the whole thing was a fix:

Fix?

look for David say 'now' just before the knock down.

It's nothing really, but it'll fuel the conspiracy theorists. It's already been written off as banter in the ring and been brushed under the carpet, but it's continuing to make the sport look bad. Could it have gone any worse?

the 'fix' thing in yesterdays paprer (think I saw it in The Sun) is bullshit, just something to out of nothing. In the same paper Vitali said he would fight Haye in England for 50-50 purse, but Wladimir "would kill Haye" if he fought him first.

At the end of the day, If Haye wants to retire in October 2011, he'll only get 2 fights in, and as he has stated he wants to beat both Klitschkos, will have to be them. If he takes any other fight, he won't get it done, and he'll look even more of a paper-champion than he does now