Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

meh!

...and people wonder why boxing is in a state. This was the boxing event of the year, 50,000 fans (which might say boxing aint in trouble, but Pacquiao is a rare case) in Dallas Stadium to witness the most one-sided boxing match you could ever wish to see. I might be sounding harsh but this was ridiculous, no knocking Pac-Man, he came in and completely dominated for the entire fight, he never allowed Clottey to get into it. Clottey was getting super-praised by the commentary team for bravery and rightly so, but he didn't seem to want to win the fight, he was just in there to survive.

I'm a little pissed because you look forward to seeing a bit of a battle, and what we got was a one-sided mugging.

Pacman-Mayweather next please!!!

• Paid Members

This bypassed me. Erik Morales is making a comeback. He hasn't fought since losing a decision to David Diaz in August 2007. He's fighting March 27 in Mexico. His opponent is Jose Alfaro (23-5).

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=22937&more=1

Erik Morales' Comeback Officially Announced Today

by James Slater - It was a few weeks ago when word first surfaced telling us how all-time great and former three-weight world champion Erik Morales would return to action this year, after having had approx three years out of the ring - yet it was only today, at a press conference in Mexico, that the return of "El Terrible" was made official..

FightNews.com reports how the press conf took place earlier today, and photos from the event show a somewhat slimmed-down (compared to how he looked last year, certainly) Morales posing for photos with his March 27th opponent Jose Alfaro. The fight will take place at 142-pounds (Morales never having previously boxed higher than the lightweight limit, with his August 2007 points loss to then WBC 135-pound king David Diaz being the 33-year-old Mexican warrior's only fight that high) and the promotion is being billed as "Hope of Fire."

Fans, though many would have preferred it if the legendary fighter had been able to make his retirement stick, will now be interested to see how much Morales has left. And 26-year-old Alfaro of Nicaragua, a former WBA lightweight titlist, is no "safe" return foe for Morales by any means. Not only is "Quiebra Jicara" the younger man, he is also the natural 135-pounder as well as being a solid puncher. But, knowing Morales, doing things the easy way is just not the Mexican's style! But will the comeback end as quickly as it starts?

After all the wars - truly unforgettable wars - he's been involved in in compiling his amazing 48-6(34) pro career, Morales can't have too much left, surely! Alfaro certainly believes his upcoming rival has seen better days and is ready to be beaten. Hopefully, we won't wind up seeing a sad sight on March 27th. But what will happen if Morales wins? How many further fights does "El Terrible" plan to have?

Certainly, a vast number of questions will be answered come fight night. For what it's worth, though it's hard to make any accurate prediction seeing as how we simply DON'T know what Morales has left in the tank, I have a feeling the younger, perhaps stronger man, will get the win. Could we even see the once great warrior from Tijuana KO'd for what would be only the third time in his 17 year career?

Alfaro, 23-5(20) may be coming in off an October 10th-round TKO loss at the hands of Antonio DeMarco, but it could be he who walks away with a stoppage win in this fight!

Article posted on 26.02.2010

meh!

...and people wonder why boxing is in a state. This was the boxing event of the year, 50,000 fans (which might say boxing aint in trouble, but Pacquiao is a rare case) in Dallas Stadium to witness the most one-sided boxing match you could ever wish to see. I might be sounding harsh but this was ridiculous, no knocking Pac-Man, he came in and completely dominated for the entire fight, he never allowed Clottey to get into it. Clottey was getting super-praised by the commentary team for bravery and rightly so, but he didn't seem to want to win the fight, he was just in there to survive.

I'm a little pissed because you look forward to seeing a bit of a battle, and what we got was a one-sided mugging.

I'm surprised by your reaction there Ebb, as I found last nights fight to be very entertaining.

Clottey came with a sound gameplan, but he just couldn't get any kind of offence against Pacquiao.

Trust me, with Mayweather stalling like hell on the fight originally, he's not going to want any part of Pacquiao now. He's proved he can go the full twelve rounds without losing any steam, so I think Mayweathers only real chance of beating him has went out of the window.

Floyd won't take the fight. He'd rather retire saying "Pacquiao never beat me".

• Paid Members

it was the lack of ambition in Clottey's attack that depressed me. When he threw he had success, but as the fight wore on, he just didn't seem to have any urgency about him. His corner were shouting 'take a chance!, you're losing" and he didn't. The fact that Pac-man threw a 1,000 more punches sums it up for me.

It was just one of them fights where after 2-3 rounds you just knew it was going the distance and there wasn't gonna be any kinds of momentum shifts during the fight, and there wasn't.

• Paid Members

Yeah by the 12th everyone(including Clottey and his corner) knew there was no way he could win the decision anyway so he should have just thrown caution to the wind I think.I'd rather throw everything out there and get knocked out than just try to survive and regret it after.

Maybe he'll take comfort in the fact he went the distance with Manny while De La Hoya,Hatton and Cotto couldn't but I think part of him will look back with regret and thinking he could have done better.

Edited by wandshogun09

I am with the general concensus here. Up until about the start of the 10th I still believed that maybe, JUST Clottey could pull something out of the bag. I do think that weightwise Pacquiao is now reaching his limit, he did look hurt each time he got caught clean and there are much harder punchers then Clottey in that division.

Really looking forward to the next few months, got some great fight.

Mitchell Vs. Katsidis 15 May at Upton Park sticks out a mile for me. If that is lumped in to the PPV with Khan/Malinaggi later than night it could well swing me to investing. Then you get Froch Vs. Kessler a week later and I think this is the real chance for Froch to make a statement. Haye vs Ruiz of course then AUdley to win a title the next week against Sosnowski (you think Sos is going to risk his big pay day Vs. Klitschko by risking an injury?) Jones Jr. vs. Hopkins has my interest and could be a cracking fight,

Add to that Arthur Abraham vs. Andre Dirrell, Erik Morales vs. Jose Alfaro, Tavoris Cloud vs. Glen Johnson, Shane Mosley vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. & Matthew Macklin Vs. Khoren Gevor.... happy days!

Really looking forward to the next few months, got some great fight.

Mitchell Vs. Katsidis 15 May at Upton Park sticks out a mile for me. If that is lumped in to the PPV with Khan/Malinaggi later than night it could well swing me to investing. Then you get Froch Vs. Kessler a week later and I think this is the real chance for Froch to make a statement. Haye vs Ruiz of course then AUdley to win a title the next week against Sosnowski (you think Sos is going to risk his big pay day Vs. Klitschko by risking an injury?) Jones Jr. vs. Hopkins has my interest and could be a cracking fight,

Add to that Arthur Abraham vs. Andre Dirrell, Erik Morales vs. Jose Alfaro, Tavoris Cloud vs. Glen Johnson, Shane Mosley vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. & Matthew Macklin Vs. Khoren Gevor.... happy days!

There are some cracking fights coming up.

I'm looking forward to seeing Froch against Kessler. A win for him will prove that he's a force in that weight class.

My lovely wife bought me Tyson the movie platinum edition for my b'day. Been after it for a while since Joe Rogan recommended it to Mike Goldberg on one of the UFCs. Noticed it in Asda, so made a hint ;)

I'm not a big follower of boxing but fondly recall watching Tyson fights with my dad Sunday mornings, on ITV, following Sky airing the bouts live the night before. It's emotional viewing at times following Kid Dynamite's ups and downs in and out of the ring, well worth seeing and loads of bouts thrown in as extras from ESPN.

meh!

I woiuldn't call it "the event of the year" just yet. Haye - Klitschko might happen, you've got the super six, Mayweather - Mosley, Mayweather - Pac if it happens. Saying "boxing is in trouble" is a little rich when you consider it still consistently outdraws MMA in both attendance and PPV numbers on it's biggest shows.

Is anyone seriously going to cough up the 15 quid to see the snoozefest that will more than likely be Haye vs Ruiz?

I probably will to be honest, let's hope Haye comes out guns blazing. I've heard Ruiz has become more aggresive as of late as well. Adamu - Groves and Olusegen - Lynes should be decent as well.