Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

i thought Skelton had ballsed it up, it goes to show how weak the division is though. I would consider myself a Skelton fan though, i'll be rooting for him.

Well, Warren promised the winner a title shot and with the much tougher Sultan Ibragimov fight not happening looks like things luckily fell in to place. Personally I don't give Sprott a chance against someone who managed to expose Valuev to look like the useless fat lump he actually is.The Khan fight tonight could be interesting. I am looking forward ot that as much as the 'other' fight.Also Alex Arthur fights on Setanta next week. The last 3-4 months have been great for boxing, especially for the UK. With some more great fights potentially on the cards next year as well, i would say that with the exception of the heavyweight division, boxing is again on the up.

I was a bit disappointed with ITVs show- OK, they can't really help it, but that Francis fight was very dull, and a 70 second knockout isn't exactly the most entertaining boxing match. Seems that ITV always pick the dud ones at the moment, like their recent series of Harrison/Williams fights. Although I'm sure they have had some good stuff too, I don't watch it all.But for an evenings entertainment, that was a bit limited.

Khan really ripped Earl apart, who indeed was too exposed right from the start. But the stoppage was a bit harsh, another ref (maybe Terry O'Connor or Mickey Vann) would have kept the fight going, Earl vs Katsidis being the obvious example.

Khan really ripped Earl apart, who indeed was too exposed right from the start. But the stoppage was a bit harsh, another ref (maybe Terry O'Connor or Mickey Vann) would have kept the fight going, Earl vs Katsidis being the obvious example.

I agree but people were saying at the time that the Katsidis fight should have been stopped a little earlier than it was (and remember, Earl reckoned THAT was stopped too early as well!)Good to see the Jamie Murray fight getting some coverage. He is a really talented boxer.

Also, a few upcoming fights on TV for your calenders13 Dec 9PM ITV 4 - Wayne Elcock Vs. Arthur Abraham (IBF Middlewight title)15 Dec 8.30PM Setanta Sports - Alex Arthur Vs. Steve Foster (WBO Super Featherweight title)

Edited by rubbafish

• Paid Members

Glad to see Joe Calzaghe receiving the recognition he deserves - Sports Personality of the Year 2007.

Totally agree. Our boxers are doing us proud and it was great to see some recognition for the sport. Hatton was 3rd and Joe's Dad Enzo was Coach of the year. Good on them all.

What a great domestic fight last night. I am not going to spoil it but those of you with Setanta, do yourself a favour and watch the replay of the Alex Arthur Vs. Steve Foster Jr. on Setanta 2 at 5 PM and Setanta 1 at 7 PM. This is a stand up war and certainly one of my fave fights of 07.

Right, a few more dates for fight fans to note...January 12 Setanta - Carl Johansson vs. Kevin Mitchell (British Super Featherweight Championship)January 18 SS1 - Esham Pickering v Sean Hughes (British Super-Bantamweight Title)January 25 SS1 - Colin Lynes v Gianluca Branco (European light-welterweight title)And there are also the following fights which are just waiting to be picked up...5 Jan - Paulie Malignaggi vs. Herman Ngoudjo 19 Jan - Roy Jones Jr. vs. Felix Trinidad19 Jan - Ruslan Chagaev vs. Matt Skelton (Poss. ITV?)16 Feb - Kelly Pavlik vs. Jermain Taylor23 Feb - Wladimir Klitschko vs. Sultan Ibragimov15 Mar - Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez The start of next year is carrying on from the last! A great time for boxing at the moment!

Ibragimov is current WBO champion. Klitchko is IBF world champion (he is Vitali's younger brother). Ruslan Chagaev is WBA champion, and Oleg Maskaev is the WBC champion, but Samuel Peter is "interim" WBC champion, where he'll become full champion if Maskaev is unable to defend the belt against him within a certain timer period. There is no universally recognised heavyweight champion, which has been hurting the division for years, but I'll be happy to acknowledge the winner of Klitchko/Ibragimov as world champion, even though it isn't the best match possible in the division,at least it's a start.

• 3 weeks later...

Just 2 days in to the new year and I am already creaming myself with excitement. Firstly, the fight I wanted is on. It has been confirmed that Enzo Maccarinelli will fight David Haye at cruiserweight on March 8, although a venue is yet to be confirmed. Either way, not bothered, I am there!The next Amir Khan fight has been confirmed and he will be taking on Denmark's Martin Kristjansen at the Excel on February 2nd. Kristjansen is alright but only has 5 KO victories to his name (he has won 19 and lost 3).Hatton won't be fighting Witter in the near future it seems which is a shame as that is a fight I was dieing to see. It is interesting actually seeing this develop. Witter has been calling out Hatton for the best part of 10 years. He called him out again before his loss to PBF and again after but said if that doesn't happen, he would be taking on Paulie Malignaggi. Hatton has not only turned Witter down but seems almost certain to be taking on Malignaggi in the UK (probably MEN) in about April or May. Personally I hope he doesn't fight Gavin Rees (which is the other suggested opponent) because I think that fight would be boring.Looking forward to the Kevin Mitchell Vs Carl Johansson fight on the 12th, great way to start the year on the domestic scene. If 08 is half as good as 07, I will be a happy man.