The UKFF Betting Topic

John Amos

Been on holiday for a week so this is my first proper look at a race card for a while and I havent looked at any results recently either, but i'll have a go anyway.3:00 - King of Knight3:30 - Muktasb3:50 - Lucius Verrus4:20 - Desert Light5:00 - Comeintothespace

• Paid Members

This is the start of my Cheltenham selections. I will be backing all of these and the following selections for the other three days as well with my hard earned money. I have selected two for each race generally short priced and then some value, but not always. Feel free to question my selections but these are what I will be backing.Supreme NoviceAmaretto RoseSilverburnArkleJack The GiantBuena Vista (Alternate)Champion HurdleHardy EustaceWilliam HillIrish Raptor (Alternate)Homer WellsCross CountrySpot ThedifferenceNative JackFred WinterPouvoirLausta BadObviously that is if they all run. There will be the next remaining days to follow.Non Runners taken out and alternates selected where I have them.

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands

• Paid Members

Day TwoBallymore PropertiesWichita LinemanHairy MollyRoyal And Sun AllianceDenmanGugaduQueen Mother Champion ChaseWell ChiefMonets GardenCoral CupCopsale Lad (Alternate)BurntoakboyFule Walwyn Kim MuirLittle Big HorseLady of ScarvaghChampion BumperFivefourthreeMad FishThe last three races are very tentative selections indeed.

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands

Thats not a bad list to be fair. The only one I would question would be Overstrand, who seems to be heading for the World Hurdle. You defintely need soft ground horses this year. I've bought this months Racing Ahead magazine, which has an excellent Festival Preview, and so far, i'm leading towards the following:TUESDAYSUPREME NOVICES: I'm sat on Ante Post vouchers for Kicks For Free and De Soto, which are now useless as they both need top of the ground. So, i've plumped for RINDOON. I had a tip for it from one of my cousins who lives in Ireland, and who knows the stable lasses brothers, cousins uncle or something. Will like the ground, and trading at 28 on Betfair.ARKLE: With the forecast ground MY WAY DE SOLZEN should take all the beating. Although beaten fair and square by Fair Along eariler in the season on a quick surface, the form should be reversed on this slower ground.CHAMPION HURDLE: Another bad antepost bet in Macs Joy who will hate the tacky ground has left me with no choice but to go for BRAVE INCA. The Inca won this race last year at 7-4 and is available at 5-1 with some firms now. I can't have Hardy Eustace winning as a ten year old, and I think that aged five, Detroit City will probably find this too tough as well.WILLIAM HILL: COMMERICAL FLYER could be thrown in off a low weight in this. Was tanking along well hitting the turf in a valuable handicap over course and distance eariler in the season, it then ran respectably in the King George behind Kauto Star. Juveigneur is the danger.FRED WINTER: Alan King's MY PETRA could be the value in this if turning up. Has held its form quite well over the winter, mixing it with those at the head of the Triumph Hurdle market. Available at 44 on Betfair.CROSS COUNTRY: Although Spot thedifference has farmed these types of races/circus events in the past, I think his age will surely catch up to him soon. I think ROYAL AUCLAIR should have the class to win this, if it handles the ridiculous obstacle course.WEDNESDAYBALLYMORE PROPERTIES: Although Aran Concerto will take a lot of beating, I think that TIDAL BAY will run a big race. Excellent form in its last two races, beating Kicks For Free over an inadequate 2miles, and then finishing a good second behind Wichitta Lineman, I think represents value at 23 on Betfair.KIM MUIR: LIBERTHINE has been laid out for this race, and with Sam Whaley-Cohen on board, will be very close at the business end.CHAMPION CHASE: Its hard to not be impressed by Well Chief's comeback in the Game Spirit last month, but i'm going to swerve him for fear of the "bounce factor" and go for ASHLEY BROOK. Ashely Brook finished a good second behind Well Chief in that race, after winning over hurdles by a mile. Finished behind Kauto Star in the Tingle Creek two years ago and is excellent value. CORAL CUP: NATION STATE ran a blinder behind Overstrand last time out, and looks to have a nice racing weight in this.SUN ALLIANCE: I have been backing BOYCHUCK at fancy prices ever since it got beat by Turko over an inadequate 2m 4 at Wincanton. An out and out stayer, it will relish this test of stamina, which was put to the fore when out battling Gungadu over three miles and then when finishing second in the Feltham chase on Boxing Day. Obviously he has got Denman to beat, who could win doing handstands, but I got my fingers burnt backing Denman last year!!!CHAMPION BUMPER: Willie Mullins traditionally does well in this, and the pick of his bumper crop looks tp be MAD FISH, who will have the benefit of Rub Walsh on top.THURSDAYPERTEMPS: If RHINESTONE COWBOY rediscovers half of his od form, then he would win this by the length of the straight, and he gave glimpses of that when finishes 5th in a qualifier under a huge weight two weeks ago. I think that Monolith is the danger.JEWSON: JP McManus loves a gamble after taking this with Reveillez last year and KING REVO could give him that big payday here. Very lightly campaigned this winter, he won as he pleased in a lesser race last time and will benefit from the step up in class.RYANAIR CHASE: I can't see past MONET'S GARDEN over his optimum trip. Didn't get home in the King George last time out, he thumped a high class field over 2.5miles last time out. BANKER OF THE MEETING!!!WORLD HURDLE: With Black Jack Ketchum likely to get stcuk in the mud if he turns up at all, I expect INGLIS DREVER to regain his World Hurdle crown from 2 years ago. Howard Johnson's charge goes on any ground, and is the only horse in the field to boast top class Course and Distance form.NATIONAL HUNT CHALLENGE: The aforementioned GUNGADU should take all the beating over this marathon trip as it will stay all day.RACING POST PLATE: I like Copsale Lad, but he too could get stuck in the mud, so it may pay to take a chance with MADISON DU BERLAIS, who ran well at last years festival in the Grand Annual, and who will arrive bang in form after a recent win last saturday.FRIDAY:I'm off to Cheltenham for the Gold Cup and i'll be in the Guiness VIllage if anyone is there!!TRIUMPH: I make DEGAS ART my NEXT BEST of the meeting. The only horse to lower the colours of Katchit this winter, and is still relatively lightly raced to find improvement. Louanos is the big danger and deserves its place at the head of the marker though.BRIT INSURANCE: WICHITA LINEMAN opts for this "easier" race than the Ballymore Properties as Jonjo seems to want to take the Black Jack route with this. Won't be much of a price, but should win.GOLD CUP: Will it or wont it? Will Kauto stay up the hill? Will he fall? Will ghe win on the bridle by 20 lengths? No one will know for sure, and the topic has been done to death. I can't have Kauto at the current price, so will side with RACING DEMON each way. Has festival form to its name and goes on soft. The only problem is the last habit of jumping right in its races.FOXHUNTERS: Last years winner WHYSO MAYO is the best Hunter chaser in training and there's no reason barring accidents why it wont retain its crown.GRAND ANNUAL: Nicky Henderson loves to farm his father's race, and Greenhope will look for a repeat victory, but if CARRACIOLA turns up for this he will take all the beating. The horse is entered in both this race and the County Hurdle, but I think that they should take advantage of a lower handicap mark over fences.COUNTY HURDLE: The get out of jail race, i've backed the winner the last three races, with Spirit Leader, Sporazene and Desert Quest last year. This race could be another stick a pin in it job, but SWEET WAKE stands out on a very tempting handicap mark._________________________________________________________________________________________________________There you go. All my opinions for what there worth, feel free to agree, disagree or fight!!!!

• Paid Members

Final DayTriumph HurdleKatchitDegas ArtBrit Novice HurdleKazalTrigger The LightGold CupExotic DancerMy WillChristie FoxhunterWhyso MayoHonourable SpiderGrand AnnualPablo Du CharmilMadison Du BerlaisCounty HurdleFair AlongSublimityThe news that Ruby Walsh is to ride Brave Inca still does not get me off Hardy Eustace, although it does make me have more doubts about it.

There was some dodgy goings on on Betfair last night re Celestial. SOmeone said that it was out out, so everyone was laying it, and the price went out to 25, then the trainer said that it was definitely in. Then, its announced as lame this morning. Some people in the know must have hoovered up a lot of cash last night.