DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members
Is Ventura on the commentary track?

I fucking wish. It's the director, or the producer, or some fella like that. When he wasn't giving anecdotes about the insurers demanding Sonny Landham be assigned a 24 hour bodyguard to protect other people from him, I tended to tune out and touch myself at how awesome Stan Winston's work in it is.

Director + Ventura + Carl Weathers would have been a much better commentary team. They probably could have gotten Richard Chaves too, and the geeky looking one with the glasses.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently Ive watched Office Space Mike Judge's take on working in the office. Though the characters are exaggerated. theres a lot of truth in the creepy boss guy Limburgh and the Printer destruction. it also conveys the mundanities of office work all to well. Its quite good, but i didnt find it to be a laugfh out loud film .. as a comedy. Id watch it again.

Kiss of the Dragon Jet Li thriller set in Paris.. Set up starts off well, a bit like Absolute Power in that some on gets framed for Murder they didnt commit by authority figure. but descends into by the numbers pseudo-chopsocky film. At least Burt Kwouk is in it. He effing rocks!

Escape from LA Hadnt seen this for an age. my god the special effects have aged really badly, Early Bad CGI (shudders) its almost a straight remake of NY , but is utter shite. Most of the actors could have been not there and I wouldnt have noticed. Steve Buscemi is wasted in the film as is Valeria.. forgotten her surname, and Pam Griers as a transexual Carjacker, wth an altered voice... Avoid like the plague

Escape From LA is a full on guilty pleasure of mine. So ridiculous, i can't help but love it.

The surfing scene :thumbsup:

Was gunna mention the surfing scene, with high 5's as being ultra cheese, but you know.... i was on one, so i forgot

• Paid Members

void like the plague? You sir, are a nut! Escape from LA is non-stop fun. Has some pretty creepy/disturbing bits too. The plastic surgery freaks are pretty horrible if you think about the people who didn't manage to escape them.

Oh, and that bloodsport they play on the basketball court.

"Two hoops, full court. Ten-second shot clock. Miss a shot, you get shot. Shot clock buzzer goes off before you shoot, you get shot. Two points for a basket, no three-point bullshit. All you gotta do is get ten points. That's it."

Tremendous.

I watched A Time to kill yesterday. It's been a while. I like it a lot.

Stupendous cast too: Samuel L Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, Keifer Sutherland, Chris "he's in everything but I always forget his name" Cooper.

It took me great restraint to avoid listing Sandra Bullock there. She's in it too. I love her.

In a statement that's unlikely to be as controversial as Seven's in another thread, I'd say this is Matthew McConaughey's only good performance.

According to wiki, one critic remarked that

"A Time to Kill argues for vigilantism but disguises its message by making the vigilante black, allowing viewers to think their blood lust and thirst for revenge is actually empathy for the oppressed."

I'd actually agree with that to some extent, because I'm not in favour of mob/vigilante justice or revenge killings. That said, I still enjoyed it and I felt a great deal of empathy for Jackson's character. It's one of those things where if I read about a case like it I'd have to say that he was in the wrong (like that Spanish lady who set the rapist on fire) but that I'd undeniably sympathise. However, seeing it played out makes you relate, and similarly, if I actually knew any of the people involved in the latter case it'd probably shape my viewpoint significantly. I am soft like a marshmallow.

Sandra Bullock in '96 though. I don't think she's ever looked hotter.

void like the plague? You sir, are a nut! Escape from LA is non-stop fun. Has some pretty creepy/disturbing bits too. The plastic surgery freaks are pretty horrible if you think about the people who didn't manage to escape them.

Oh, and that bloodsport they play on the basketball court.

"Two hoops, full court. Ten-second shot clock. Miss a shot, you get shot. Shot clock buzzer goes off before you shoot, you get shot. Two points for a basket, no three-point bullshit. All you gotta do is get ten points. That's it."

Tremendous.

I watched A Time to kill yesterday. It's been a while. I like it a lot.

Stupendous cast too: Samuel L Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, Keifer Sutherland, Chris "he's in everything but I always forget his name" Cooper.

It took me great restraint to avoid listing Sandra Bullock there. She's in it too. I love her.

In a statement that's unlikely to be as controversial as Seven's in another thread, I'd say this is Matthew McConaughey's only good performance.

According to wiki, one critic remarked that

"A Time to Kill argues for vigilantism but disguises its message by making the vigilante black, allowing viewers to think their blood lust and thirst for revenge is actually empathy for the oppressed."

I'd actually agree with that to some extent, because I'm not in favour of mob/vigilante justice or revenge killings. That said, I still enjoyed it and I felt a great deal of empathy for Jackson's character. It's one of those things where if I read about a case like it I'd have to say that he was in the wrong (like that Spanish lady who set the rapist on fire) but that I'd undeniably sympathise. However, seeing it played out makes you relate, and similarly, if I actually knew any of the people involved in the latter case it'd probably shape my viewpoint significantly. I am soft like a marshmallow.

Sandra Bullock in '96 though. I don't think she's ever looked hotter.

Okay, Iam a nut, THWIBBLE... however will agreed that A Time to Kill is tremendous! for some reason Ive always thought that and My Cousin Vinny would make a great double header

• Paid Members

No, in Failure To Lanch he's just playing Matthew McConaughey again. I'm not sure if I've seen Time To Kill or not, but in all the other films I've seen him in, he just comes across as a wet Mummy's boy trying to look cool, utterly lacking in charisma.

• Paid Members

I think he's incredibly lazy, because yeah, he just plays Matthew McConaughey roles in every god damn movie now. As I've said before, I don't like to reference TV shows as part of an argument, but the Stewie/McConaughey scene from Family Guy is absolutely perfect.

• Paid Members

I'm not the anti-Chucklez anyway. We share a love of Streetfighter The Movie and Mean Girls. Case closed.

He's not a Bullock fan though, so he's a bit of a wrong'un there.

McConaughey rocks my world in Dazed And Confused. "That's what I love about these high school girls. I get older...they stay they same age..." :D

I also harbour the dark shame of thinking EDTV is pretty great too.