DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Watched Groundhog day again the other night just because my friend tried to convince me that the reason for him waking up in the same day everyday is explained by a man in a weather tower that Bill Murray goes to see, clueless twat. Im pretty sure this is the same mate who believes theres a Dutch version of Leon where he has a go on Natalie Portman. Anyway Groundhog day is awesome and Bill Murray is the man.

I'm sure i read somewhere that there was a scene that was removed from the thetrical release of Leon, in which Leon is seen sleeping in the same bed as Matilda.There's stuff aboot it up on Wiki Here

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Watched Groundhog day again the other night just because my friend tried to convince me that the reason for him waking up in the same day everyday is explained by a man in a weather tower that Bill Murray goes to see, clueless twat. Im pretty sure this is the same mate who believes theres a Dutch version of Leon where he has a go on Natalie Portman. Anyway Groundhog day is awesome and Bill Murray is the man.

I'm sure i read somewhere that there was a scene that was removed from the thetrical release of Leon, in which Leon is seen sleeping in the same bed as Matilda.There's stuff aboot it up on Wiki Here
Yep you can see the scene reinstated in the region 1 dvd deluxe edition I believe. Though you friend is a tit for the Ground Hog thing

Ok just got back from travelling and saw a few films when I was away so here's my quick catch up of what I've seen:Spider-Man 3 - Disapoitining, expecting same reaction in this thread, Rami lets leave it here and end the franchiseThe Lives Of Others - Very very good, probably deserved its oscar, the ending almost had me crying (which would have been embarasing on a plane)Pirates Of Caribbean - The usual drivel, over-long, no real plot structure, someone please send Orland & Kiera to acting schoolConsuming Passions - Old school film written by some of the Python lads, Johnathan Pryce is amazing as alwaysV For Vendetta - Disapointed, expected something so much better, Brazil pisses all over thisThe Core - Bollocks

Pirates Of Caribbean 3 - The usual drivel, over-long, no real plot structure, someone please send Orland & Kiera to acting school

I saw this last night and agree about Bloom still being really wooden, but not so much with Knightley.Overall I liked the film. I'd read reviews saying Johnny Depp added nothing and was clearly not as in-to-it as in the other two but I would disagree. While the multiple Jack's thing got old pretty fast I found Sparrow great again.Definitely too long and over the second two films I didn't really see any point in Admiral Norrington's character being there and Keef Richards being in it was seemingly just because Johnny Depp thought it would be cool as he served no purpose and wasted even more time imo.Calypso's accent was so ridiculous that I only picked up half of what she was saying and - this might be just the cinema I was in, rather than at all places - at times the musical score was so much louder than the actor's that you couldn't hear what they were saying. :confused:

The Protector: Tony Jaa's follow up to Ong Bak. After thieves wound his father and steal his beloved pet elephants Kham (Jaa) must travel to Austrailia to get them back. The fight scenes are, not surprisingly, excellent, but everything else is rubbish. Even though most martial arts movies have poor scripts, this one is particularly bad. Jaa's dialogue is limited to "I want my elephants!" or "give me back my elephants!" and the rest of the plot doesn't make much sense either: the gang leader is revealed to be a transexual and there's a confusing subplot involving corrupt policeman and hookers. Also, for some reason never explained, Australia appears to be full of Asian people. Ong Bak had a bad script but at least it was easy enough to follow and it wasn't laugh out loud stupid at times. Shoddy production values don't help. Jaa needs to hook up with a decent director if he wants to best utilise his skills. And maybe next time he could play something other than a spirtual village boy heading out to the big city to retrieve something valuble to him.

Hot Fuzz

Edgar Wright seems to be growing as a director with every new project he takes on, Shaun Of The Dead was a big leap from Spaced, and Hot Fuzz is a massive leap forward from Shaun .. Infact, although he films still remain as funny as ever and retain the counter-culture reference and style that makes people love them so much, Hot Fuzz is his most accesible venture to date.

The cast is probably the film's strongest aspect, with Nick Frost finally showing some real acting ability, and the supporting cast of Broadbent, Considine, & Dalton really holding their end up. Plus, Pegg tries something new - playing the straight man - destroying any arguments that he is can only play Tim from Spaced.

The plot as illustrative as it, is pulled off by the right balance of tongue in cheek events, and over the top violence. Although I can understand now why people say the conclusion doesn't flow well from the first half of the film, I felt it was irrelevant in consideration. I really enjoyed this film, and I'm still in an uncomfortable self-debate of which of Wright's works I like the best.

• Paid Members

The Protector: Tony Jaa's follow up to Ong Bak. After thieves wound his father and steal his beloved pet elephants Kham (Jaa) must travel to Austrailia to get them back. The fight scenes are, not surprisingly, excellent, but everything else is rubbish. Even though most martial arts movies have poor scripts, this one is particularly bad. Jaa's dialogue is limited to "I want my elephants!" or "give me back my elephants!" and the rest of the plot doesn't make much sense either: the gang leader is revealed to be a transexual and there's a confusing subplot involving corrupt policeman and hookers. Also, for some reason never explained, Australia appears to be full of Asian people. Ong Bak had a bad script but at least it was easy enough to follow and it wasn't laugh out loud stupid at times. Shoddy production values don't help. Jaa needs to hook up with a decent director if he wants to best utilise his skills. And maybe next time he could play something other than a spirtual village boy heading out to the big city to retrieve something valuble to him.

Ummmm Australia is full of Asian communities, especially Thai and Vietnamese

Outlaw

Being a huge mark for Nick Love's films I was looking forward to this. I was left slightly disappointed, the story just didn't flow and there was little violence in it. It just didn't have the cool factor of the football factory. I wouldn't put anyone off watching it to waste 2 hours, because it was a decent flick, but you get the feeling you can guess what will happen next.

Ummmm Australia is full of Asian communities, especially Thai and Vietnamese
In the movie he is infiltrating a Thai community, so I understand there will be Asian characters in it. However, even the characters who aren't supposed to be from the area, journalists, newsreaders, cops..etc are Thai. It just seems a little odd and completely reeks of low budgeting.

Pan's Labyrinth

Glorious stuff here, and I wouldn't be surprised if I look back on it at the end of this decade and say that it was the best movie of the 00s. Just really really great, with pretty much every character captivating my interest. The Captain was just a right bastard, while Othelio was a really awesome leading character. I seen this getting rave reviews all over the place and didn't have a clue what to expect as related to the type of movie. Gripping and stunning at the same time. I couldn't heap enough praise on it.

• Paid Members

Being a huge mark for Nick Love's films

Are you serious? Ive wished death on Nick Love. If someone pointed him out to me in the street, I'd bollock him primarily for creating 'The Business'; the worst gangster film ever made.Thankfully Outlaw was panned in every review I read, so it may take Love a longer period to get the finances for another movie. Hooray.

I watched Premonition last night. It was so fucking confusing it was unreal, time travel shit with no real explanation as to how she was doing it. It did have my slightly intruiged though, if you like your weird thrillers you may well like this one.

I also watched Children of Men, which wasn't half as good as I expected, it felt almost like one of those ITV dramas, poor script and story with not much going on. I felt cheated out of my 2 hours.