DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Please dont get me wrong, as a whole, I would like to try to get to the cinema to watch a film, but with money been tight at the moment, sometimes its not always the option. I refused to watch a bootleg copy of Dark Knight. I get cinema rage very easily, and getting during quiet times aint always the easiest. If the chance comes up for Hellboy 2 in the cinema, i'll take it, if not, a drunken day with mates in a darkened room it is (oooerr :laugh:)Hey if it means anything, I dont keep my downloaded movies after I watch them :laugh:

Edited by klown

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hellboy 2 is tremendous. Excuse me for not elaborating into a massive essay for the likes of Famous Mortimer but I am drunk and not planning to stay online for awhile and make tonnes of spelling mistakes and such, but suffice to say, it's wonderful. I loved the first one but this is so much better. The acting is great, the set pieces are stunning and the overall tone is perfect. Much better than The Dark Knight, Guillermo Del Toro is one of cinema's finest treasures.

Hellboy 2 is tremendous. Excuse me for not elaborating into a massive essay for the likes of Famous Mortimer but I am drunk and not planning to stay online for awhile and make tonnes of spelling mistakes and such, but suffice to say, it's wonderful. I loved the first one but this is so much better. The acting is great, the set pieces are stunning and the overall tone is perfect. Much better than The Dark Knight, Guillermo Del Toro is one of cinema's finest treasures.

While I enjoyed it almost equally and do feel it may have beat out The Dark Knight I must admit to still prefering the first film. I guess I noticed the new one's flaws a lot more because of how much I rate the first (I consider it the best comic book adaptation film I've seen). I think that the entire German character (I wont elaborate as to avoid spoiling and because I've forgotten his name) should be cut out as he wasn't funny in the slightest - just cringeworthy. I also prefered David Hyde Pierce's voicing of Abe but I guess that couldn't really be helped and Doug Jones did try his best. Sometimes the actors appeared to be forcing the comedy aspects (apart from Ron Pearlman) which, again, brought my overall view of the film down. Agreed completely on Del Toro though, everything I've seen by him I rate exceedingly high.

• Paid Members

Do you want me to tell you an underrated film? "Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence" with Bowie. Great film.F*cking great Sakamoto soundtrack too.You can buy the two of them combined, if you look hard enough. HMV used to have it.

Edited by bAzTNM

co-signed on the praise for Hellboy, and del Toro is indeed amazing, but there's something quite depressing about how predictable it was that the, um, cinemati were *always* going to go on about how his film was better than the Dark Knight. Cosmo Landesman is such a cunt.

Edited by ghost

Shout out to Luke Goss too, who was excellent as Prince Nuada. Great villain.

I thought he was the best thing in the film by quite a distance.I did enjoy Hellboy II, sometimes it felt a bit too 'popcorn' but was a good fun hero movie.

• Moderators

co-signed on the praise for Hellboy, and del Toro is indeed amazing, but there's something quite depressing about how predictable it was that the, um, cinemati were *always* going to go on about how his film was better than the Dark Knight. Cosmo Landesman is such a cunt.

Yeah. co-signed on the abuse for Cosmo Landesman, although I still enjoy reading his reviews even though I think he's a total bell. I think I just like getting angry :/Hellboy 2 was fun, and a good film. But nothing amazing... Edited by Who has called me Hage?

• Moderators

Doomsday (2008)

The trailer alone made me never want to see this. It was pretty clear that Neil Marshall is one of those directors that completely loses the plot when they have access to a bigger budget. Dog Soldiers was fucking amazing, Descent was alright, but really overrated. If it had been men instead of pretty women, the reviews wouldn't have been half as good. "Ooh, it were all a dream!" But then you get a trailer where there's a ridiculously attractive woman who's the ultimate slow-mo, jiggling boobies killing machine - right up there with superbrainy scientists played by Tara Reid in glasses - who says "nice car, I'll take it!" or whatever that Godawful line was at the end of the trailer. I know trailers are mostly out of the hands of the director and often portray the film differently than it actually is, but dreadful lines like the ones in the Doomsday trailer wouldn't have been in there if they hadn't been written and used in the film.I'll probably rent it someday, but that was the first trailer that made me go from being excited about a director to saying "fuck this guy."

The Exorcism of Emily Rose: More of a thriller than a horror, but still a little disturbing in parts. I really liked the film, and the scene where Emily is on her dorm room floor all bent up and stiff actually made me go 'errrr'. I thought Tom Wilkinson was really good in this film. I've always seen him as a sort of bit part actor, or main character in smaller films but I think he done exceptionally well. One of the better films I've seen recently.

Doomsday (2008)

The trailer alone made me never want to see this. It was pretty clear that Neil Marshall is one of those directors that completely loses the plot when they have access to a bigger budget. Dog Soldiers was fucking amazing, Descent was alright, but really overrated. If it had been men instead of pretty women, the reviews wouldn't have been half as good. "Ooh, it were all a dream!" But then you get a trailer where there's a ridiculously attractive woman who's the ultimate slow-mo, jiggling boobies killing machine - right up there with superbrainy scientists played by Tara Reid in glasses - who says "nice car, I'll take it!" or whatever that Godawful line was at the end of the trailer. I know trailers are mostly out of the hands of the director and often portray the film differently than it actually is, but dreadful lines like the ones in the Doomsday trailer wouldn't have been in there if they hadn't been written and used in the film.I'll probably rent it someday, but that was the first trailer that made me go from being excited about a director to saying "fuck this guy."
Isn't it hugely tongue in cheek though? That's the impression I got, that it's a British Escape from New York, or Mad Max 2. Over the top, camp, completely insane plot, but just good old fashioned entertainment.Incidentally, I don't think Descent was overrated, I think it was a really high quality work, and a step up from the low-budget feel of Dog Soldiers. It wouldn't have worked with an all-male cast, as men react differently to women in such situations - a lot of the really unpleasant stuff in that film came from seeing the "friends" basically sacrificing each other in an attempt to escape themselves.If Doomsday does turn out to be a "serious" film, then I reserve the right to hate it, mind you :p