DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Moderators

Little Miss SunshineFinally watched this lastnight after brilliant reviews. I thought it was a really good film.. the acting was top notch.. and that girl was so adorable! I just couldnt help but feel that it lacked a bit? Probably that 'must see it again' factor. It was a different movie to the usual 'girl has far fetched dream.. girl gets dream'. Had some really funny moments in it too. Overall.. I really good film to watch.. but just once.

Would you say you were a bit dissapointed with the ending? I thought it just fell flat a bit...
I know what you mean, it was just like "right, let's go home now". But it was a very funny ending.

and Queen Latifa's line on the white people was just hilarious!

Was that the 'suberb' line?
Ah shit Queen Latifa's in this film?After all that I've heard about it, my somewhat high expectations have just plummetted a couple hundred notches...I saw Die Hard 4 today. I really enjoyed it.. It was good to see a big budget blockbuster action movie that was actually coherent and made sense and didn't force the viewer to have to make a million and one assumptions.Obviously it was ridiculous with some of the shit that was going on, but that I expected.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Knocked Up - saw a preview showing of this last night and i can honestly say it was probably the funniest film ive ever seen in a cinema, i cant be arsed to write anything else but this was some good shit.

I also saw a free preview of Knocked Up the other week, but hadn't gotten round too talking aboot it. The trailers at the start were superb, especially Hot Rod which looks funtastic.As for the film itself, i really enjoyed it. A lot of laugh out loud moments, and the whole cinema were in hysterics at most points. The last half an hour seemed to drag really bad, but i needed a piss so badly so that added too it. I'd like to see it again, without needing a piss...Paul Rudd is still my hero, what a hilarious guy :)

Can't get enough of Anchorman & 40 Year Old Virgin, so reading people's positive thoughts about 'Knocked Up' has made it the movie I'm most excited about seeing for quite some time.

'How High' I thought was a really funny stoner comedy. I've never smoked weed, none of my friends smoke weed, but I liked it. Method Man is great, he should do more more acting.

'Half Baked' was shit. I like Harland Williams and I like the Chappelle Show, but it was a crap movie from start to finish, and the guy in the tye-dye clothes should be killed. Awful.

The Bourne Ultimatum

Good lord, that's one awesome action movie. It's just constantly moving right from the word go. Some brilliant action scenes, especially a rooftop chase. Not sure if it's the best of the three. I'd need to give it another watch or two, but right now, I'd be inclined to say that it is.

• Moderators

'How High' I thought was a really funny stoner comedy. I've never smoked weed, none of my friends smoke weed, but I liked it. Method Man is great, he should do more more acting.'Half Baked' was shit. I like Harland Williams and I like the Chappelle Show, but it was a crap movie from start to finish, and the guy in the tye-dye clothes should be killed. Awful.

Haha..Did you buy the double set of the two for cheap?I only ask because my flatmate recently did just that.I used to love Half Baked when I was younger. I think of the two, though, it is definitely the one that you would be more likely to like if you actually did smoke weed... whereas How High is more of a comedy about stoners than a stoner comedy, if you catch my drift...

'How High' I thought was a really funny stoner comedy. I've never smoked weed, none of my friends smoke weed, but I liked it. Method Man is great, he should do more more acting.'Half Baked' was shit. I like Harland Williams and I like the Chappelle Show, but it was a crap movie from start to finish, and the guy in the tye-dye clothes should be killed. Awful.

Haha..Did you buy the double set of the two for cheap?I only ask because my flatmate recently did just that.I used to love Half Baked when I was younger. I think of the two, though, it is definitely the one that you would be more likely to like if you actually did smoke weed... whereas How High is more of a comedy about stoners than a stoner comedy, if you catch my drift...
Thats like Dude Where's My Car? and Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle. Harold & Kumar is a film about stoners, Dude is best watched when stoned.

Haha..Did you buy the double set of the two for cheap?
Yep. In Matalan off all places, the set was on a stand right next to the till for

Guest deanolfc88

Top Gun: Just a brilliant film great acting and so fucking cool you just know Iceman is the greatest name of all time!

Edited by deanolfc88

I 've watched a few films recently, but haven't been bothered to write them all up... I watched Trainspotting twice last week, it's still one of my favourite films of all times and features some of the strongest performances in British cinema history. I think it's better than Shallow Grave, but I know some people prefer Boyle's first film. Last night me and my girl watched A Cock And Bull Story on BBC2, I haven't seen it since the cinema and it's def funnier the second time around. Although I really enjoyed it at the cinema, once you understand the total tongue-in-cheek use of narrative the comedy appear far more sattirical (sp?).

The other week I caught Three Kings for the first time, after hearing rave reviews of the film I was somewhat underwhelmed by the whole thing and left me feeling as if the whole thing was a bit of a pointless venture dressed up as an arty war film. Although the central performances were fairly strong, I felt Clooney was totally miscast, but Wahlberg was spot on (and I was even impressed with 'Cube).

• Paid Members

I watched Disturbia on Sat, For a Teen thriller i was actually surprised at how enjoyable it was, Its not amazing by any stretch of the imagination but its a good 'popcorn' movie, Plus how anyone can get a writing credit for what is a blatent rip off of Rear Window is beyond me!

I watched The Sting again on DVD last nite, Still just a fantastic film, I'd say i like Newman and Redfords performances in this better than in Butch and Sundance and Robert Shaw had just an awesome screen presence and is one of those actors that is just great no matter what hes in. The ending has been done to death so many times since this film but I still remember how great I thought this was the first time I saw it

Black Book

Set during the end of WWII, Black Book is the story of a Dutch Jewish girl who narrowly survives the war in Holland. She joins the resistance to find out who betrayed her family after all of them were killed in an attempt to reach the liberated south.

This is Paul Verhoeven's latest offering to the cinema world, a man who's notoriously hit (Starship Troopers, Robocop) and Miss (Showgirls, Hollow Man). Unlike the above films, this film he took back to his Dutch root, shooting the film in Holland, about Holland, in Dutch.

I really didn't like Verhoeven's take on a war film, it was almost as if he had tried to make an action film but with the war as a contextual background. The film felt clunkly and jarred, not flowing well, and at almost 2 1/2 hours it was way too long. I grew less and less interested in the film as it went on, jumping from one little story of action to another. And the subtextual links to the modern political situation were embarassingly blunt as one time (like when a Nazi yells 'We must destroy the terrorists for a free Europe').

Having said that, Carice van Houten was impressive (even if her character, Rachel Stein, was an annoying bitch), and the overall supporting performances were fairly solid.

I wouldn't bother with this if I was you, I would stick to Verhoeven's mindless but satirical stuff.