Final Colston Hall, Bristol show - Doug Vrs Jonny!

WhizzKid

Man bagga you are just fucking awesome

#cough# suck up! #cough# :p Can I ask that people start to go back on topic. This thread is supposed to be about the last ever wrestling show at the Colston Hall. Maybe you could share your favourite memories etc of the shows that have been running for the past 50 years.~King Koyote~

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I've only ever been to 2 Premier shows, but they were both at the same venue, and there were less people there the 2nd time, about 150 in May, and about 130 in October....but in the same town last year and years before Premier ran an 800 seat venue which used to sell out, but then the attendance went down big time, so they moved to the smaller 175(ish?) capacity venue, and now they are not selling that out they have moved to a town just down the road which apparently is even smaller, but I won't found out until February.

However, the last Worthing show they ran was up about 66% on the previous from about 150 to 250.Also they have been doing consistent numbers in Gosport, Midhurst and Potters Bar for at least the past 5 years.
Actually the last 2 Premier shows in Worthing (Oct 28 and Dec 8) have been around 250-300 people. They also ran a show in Portslade (Nov 22) recently that almost sold out its 175 limit, they are running a show there on the 28th Dec that will draw a similar amount. I havent been to Midhurst for about a year so cant comment how the crowds are at the moment but they were declining last time I went. Worthings Summer Season crowd varied between 150 at its lowest to around 300 at its highest but I would guess it was around 250 for most of the run.

• Paid Members

JACKING THE THREAD BACK ON TOPIC,The show itself is now less than 4hr away. If you're going, leave yer name and what you're looking forward to the most.Sephjnr,looking forward to seeing Marty Jones booed out of the building one more time.

Edited by sephjnr

• Paid Members

Brian Dixon was on Hawksbee and Jacobs plugging it. Hawksbee and Jacobs~~~~~~~~

It was handled pretty well, no doubt the anti-ASW crew would tear Dixon's interview to pieces if they didn't have a life

• Paid Members

Brian Dixon was on Hawksbee and Jacobs plugging it.  Hawksbee and Jacobs~~~~~~~~

It was handled pretty well, no doubt the anti-ASW crew would tear Dixon's interview to pieces if they didn't have a life
what in the blue hell do you take us for?Biased people? us? naaaaaaaaaah!(results up in a moment)

• Paid Members

COLSTON HALL = 18TH DECEMBER 2003-----------------------------------------------1. Skull Murphy beat The Canadian Sinner with the Gator GripMurphy actually looked one mean bastard- his offense looked pretty damn effective for what it was, and Sinner oversold each one like crazy to the point where the crowd started popping for lariats. Yes, clotheslines. Satan might need that snowplough after all. A rather good squash for Murphy was just what the doctor ordered, as he hadn't been in Bristol for many months and needed to look like an asskicker. Which he did. B2. Marty Jones and Sensational Spiderman beat Julio Torres and New York StreetfighterThis was the ANTITHESIS of All Star's model: a very poor match with a great buildup with a lengthy warmup promo (what the fuck? somebody actually been READING our rants?) that got the crowd pouring "Gay Heat" on Julio and Streetfighter throughout. Me & Moj didn't recognise Spiderman but had an inkling that it was 5-Star Flash (the same man who earlier in this thread claimed we knew jack shi oh well, it's not as if we have a grudge against criticism). The match was just one sloppy schmoz that fell apart frequently (it took THREE attempts through the match to do a double-team spot), and some typical face-heel-team spots were played with the ROLES REVERSED= the *Faces* were using foul tags, and the heels did the dosey-do counter in the aformentioned spot that took 3 takes. The finish was nothing spectacular- a Rocket Launcher- but that was really the best thing from a techy point. But the fans liked it. CAfterwards, Marty cut an honest, heartfelt promo about the Colston run coming to an end, and also his career (?) to which he got a proper standing ovation. THIS IS THE FAREWELL PETE COLLINS SHOULD HAVE HAD LAST MONTH. Ahh feck it.3. 5-Star Flash beat Mikey Wiplash with a surprise rollupStarted out with some neat matwork and an AWESOME comic spot where Belton (5-star) gets himself tied up and rolls around like a loon, begs for Mikey to help him out, and instantly flips him over to an armlock. Fantastic. The air of civility ended with a less-than-subtle kick in the nuts from 5-Star, which kicked the bout up a gear. Back and forth action with Mikey getting most of the offense and Belton gets the fluke win. Verrrrrrrrrrrry neat. A-**INTERVAL**4. Frankie Sloane beat Phil Powers and Young Adonis when he rolled up PowersIf there would ever be a perfect wrestler for All-Star, he would have Phil's personality, Frankie's offense and Adonis' selling. Great wrestling with Adonis taking a hell of a beating (and flipping himself arse-over-tit most of the time) for the early part, and Frankie looking like his mentor Robbie Brookside, but attacking far better. Phil was a mean bastard who would let Frankie break the ice and wade in when it suited him. The odd two-wrestling-one-on-apron approach seemed to work well, which allowed each wrestler to take a semi-breather and observe where he could get his next shot in. The Phil/Frankie bits weren't too shabby either. The end came with Adonis all-but-beaten, tagging out to Frankie, who promptly rolled him up for the win. A5. Jonny Storm beat Doug Williams to become the new People's Champion with a rollup.NOW I'm going to get some stick from certain Anti-Pro-FWA-Bias people, but I'd just like to say that this was a fantastic match. Doug came without his belt, and then cut a promo saying that "he knew he'd win so he didn't need to take it with him." Famous. Last. Words. Doug and Jonny got on like a house of fire and wrestled a terrific, pacey encounter. Doug looked a little less refined than usual, but considering his schedule he could be forgiven for looking a little rough now and then. But did he look rough? HELL NO! And neither did Jonny for that matter.These two pulled out all the stops- hit almost every finisher they had (Mexican Spinning DDT! Rewind Rana! Chaos Theory reversed into a DDT! A top-rope moonsault caught into a top-rope German! ye had to see it to be sure, arrrr!) and never gave up or looked frustrated when failing to end the match. In the end it all came down to complex manoeuvering of the body, which Jonny won out for the title. A booming streamer gun resounded amongst the cheers of the fans as Jonny - no belt but all the glory - was proclaimed the new People's Champion. Pretty much the whole arena gave a standing ovation when they shook hands and hugged in the middle of the ring. A*NOTESA bunch of jackasses who couldn't give two flying fucks about pro-wrestling sat behind me nearly ruined things, but not quite. Very good wrestling throughout the night (Well, except the first 2 matches), some effectively inciteful (but not *really* distasteful) promos and intelligent booking. Oooh, I think I'd better send that snowplough to Hades by Special Delivery to be on the safe side.Any sarcasm meant in the above writeup is purely coincidental. It's a damn shame that Bristol City Council has its head up its ass and no longer wants wrestling at the Hall, because it has its moments. And tonight was one very big moment, which I understand will be on the local news tomorrow. If I see it I'll tape it. And for those who were wondering, Dixon DID give directions to the Whitchurch Sports Hall. And he also gave the wrong buses to get. At least that's a step in the right direction.

Edited by sephjnr

COLSTON HALL = 18TH DECEMBER 2003-----------------------------------------------1. Skull Murphy beat The Canadian Sinner with the Gator GripMurphy actually looked one mean bastard- his offense looked pretty damn effective for what it was, and Sinner oversold each one like crazy to the point where the crowd started popping for lariats. Yes, clotheslines. Satan might need that snowplough after all. A rather good squash for Murphy was just what the doctor ordered, as he hadn't been in Bristol for many months and needed to look like an asskicker. Which he did. B2. Marty Jones and Sensational Spiderman beat Julio Torres and New York StreetfighterThis was the ANTITHESIS of All Star's model: a very poor match with a great buildup with a lengthy warmup promo (what the fuck? somebody actually been READING our rants?) that got the crowd pouring "Gay Heat" on Julio and Streetfighter throughout. Me & Moj didn't recognise Spiderman but had an inkling that it was 5-Star Flash (the same man who earlier in this thread claimed we knew jack shi oh well, it's not as if we have a grudge against criticism). The match was just one sloppy schmoz that fell apart frequently (it took THREE attempts through the match to do a double-team spot), and some typical face-heel-team spots were played with the ROLES REVERSED= the *Faces* were using foul tags, and the heels did the dosey-do counter in the aformentioned spot that took 3 takes. The finish was nothing spectacular- a Rocket Launcher- but that was really the best thing from a techy point. But the fans liked it. CAfterwards, Marty cut an honest, heartfelt promo about the Colston run coming to an end, and also his career (?) to which he got a proper standing ovation. THIS IS THE FAREWELL PETE COLLINS SHOULD HAVE HAD LAST MONTH. Ahh feck it.3. 5-Star Flash beat Mikey Wiplash with a surprise rollupStarted out with some neat matwork and an AWESOME comic spot where Belton (5-star) gets himself tied up and rolls around like a loon, begs for Mikey to help him out, and instantly flips him over to an armlock. Fantastic. The air of civility ended with a less-than-subtle kick in the nuts from 5-Star, which kicked the bout up a gear. Back and forth action with Mikey getting most of the offense and Belton gets the fluke win. Verrrrrrrrrrrry neat. A-**INTERVAL**4. Frankie Sloane beat Phil Powers and Young Adonis when he rolled up PowersIf there would ever be a perfect wrestler for All-Star, he would have Phil's personality, Frankie's offense and Adonis' selling. Great wrestling with Adonis taking a hell of a beating (and flipping himself arse-over-tit most of the time) for the early part, and Frankie looking like his mentor Robbie Brookside, but attacking far better. Phil was a mean bastard who would let Frankie break the ice and wade in when it suited him. The odd two-wrestling-one-on-apron approach seemed to work well, which allowed each wrestler to take a semi-breather and observe where he could get his next shot in. The Phil/Frankie bits weren't too shabby either. The end came with Adonis all-but-beaten, tagging out to Frankie, who promptly rolled him up for the win. A5. Jonny Storm beat Doug Williams to become the new People's Champion with a rollup.NOW I'm going to get some stick from certain Anti-Pro-FWA-Bias people, but I'd just like to say that this was a fantastic match. Doug came without his belt, and then cut a promo saying that "he knew he'd win so he didn't need to take it with him." Famous. Last. Words. Doug and Jonny got on like a house of fire and wrestled a terrific, pacey encounter. Doug looked a little less refined than usual, but considering his schedule he could be forgiven for looking a little rough now and then. But did he look rough? HELL NO! And neither did Jonny for that matter.These two pulled out all the stops- hit almost every finisher they had (Mexican Spinning DDT! Rewind Rana! Chaos Theory reversed into a DDT! A top-rope moonsault caught into a top-rope German! ye had to see it to be sure, arrrr!) and never gave up or looked frustrated when failing to end the match. In the end it all came down to complex manoeuvering of the body, which Jonny won out for the title. A booming streamer gun resounded amongst the cheers of the fans as Jonny - no belt but all the glory - was proclaimed the new People's Champion. Pretty much the whole arena gave a standing ovation when they shook hands and hugged in the middle of the ring. A*NOTESA bunch of jackasses who couldn't give two flying fucks about pro-wrestling sat behind me nearly ruined things, but not quite. Very good wrestling throughout the night (Well, except the first 2 matches), some effectively inciteful (but not *really* distasteful) promos and intelligent booking. Oooh, I think I'd better send that snowplough to Hades by Special Delivery to be on the safe side.Any sarcasm meant in the above writeup is purely coincidental. It's a damn shame that Bristol City Council has its head up its ass and no longer wants wrestling at the Hall, because it has its moments. And tonight was one very big moment, which I understand will be on the local news tomorrow. If I see it I'll tape it. And for those who were wondering, Dixon DID give directions to the Whitchurch Sports Hall. And he also gave the wrong buses to get. At least that's a step in the right direction.

That's an excellent review, sephjnr :cool: I am tired of reading NewportMoj's posts about All-Star Promotions but I guess he had been able to see a lot of negatives in this show as well :bored: I don't need to read NewportMoj's posts any more as I am able to figure out what his thoughts about this show would be. He repeats everything he writes every time there is an All-Star topic on this forum, i.e. the crowd was dead throughout the show except for the main event, the crowd was made up by retarded people and a child molester, and the total crowd was no more than 100, and the most positive thing for NewportMoj would probably be that Relic (his name for Robbie Brookside) was not there :sleeping: Edited by Truth

Another strong card last night at Bristol.Skull Vrs Sinner - entertaining with Murphy dishing out the usual stiff looking offenceMarty & Spiderman Vrs Torres & Streefighter - Looked like Jonny under the hood. Crowd were into it with Marty getting a very good ovation. Excellent speech from Marty - one of the great workers and talkers ever in British wrestling and to see him get the ovation he got was something special.5 Star Vrs Whiplash: These two have had an excellent series of matches this year at the Colston Hall and are as good as any of the newer young stars on the circuit. The working a full time schedule has certainly helped put the finishing touches on them as wrestling performers.Sloane Vrs Powers Vrs Adonis: Powers was very impressive in this one. Never taken to Sloane at all but he put some effort in last night.Jonny Vrs Doug: Excellent match as you'd excpect from these two. Another excellent UK match of the year candidate from All Star. A nice touch with confetti coming down from the ceiling at the end to round off a great evening of wrestling entertainment, if a little sad because one of the true historic UK wrestling venues closes it's doors on wrestling but I, and many other fans, have so many great memories of shows there but wrestling will certainly carry on in Bristol and surrounding areas in 2004.

Edited by WhizzKid

MOJ'S FUN REVIEW OF ANGERCrowd: 250-300. More than usual.FALSE ADVERTISING COUNT - Nobody. Jesus.TRIBUTE COUNT - Spiderman. And 'Brooklyn Brawler' Julio Torres is now just Brooklyn Brawler, which takes it from 'fair enough' into 'FUCKING TRIBUTE :angry: ' territory.CANADIAN SINNER/SKULL MURPHYI didn't like how Canadian Sinner was announced as a face, but acted as a heel. I did however like his bumps (which were so good that when combined with Murphy's offence even the Colston idiots reacted). Murphy used an STF~! And was light years better than in his stupid hardcore brawls with PN News. It's worth noticing that the eventual finishing hold (standing crossface chickenwing) was locked on right at the beginning of the match, and Sinner only just got out of it - this is actual good wrestling all of a sudden!FUCKING TRIBUTE SPIDERMAN-MARTY JONES/BROOKLYN BRAWLER-NEW YORK STREETFIGHTERSpidey, argh. For the record, he was either Jonny Storm (two stripe Adidas boots and Jonny style leaps) or Five Star Flash (who has a very distinctively muscled back which showed through the shirt on occasion). Torres used to be good but now has the WORST STRIKES IN WRESTLING with the possible exception of Chris Justice's forearms. This is partially made up for by being great at promos, and with some funny mannerisms. Marty Jones is Andre in 1990 levels of immobile, and took away from the match hugely - nothing to do with his physical condition, it's just that while other people were trying to tell a story in the ring, he'd start chanting ENGLAND ENGLAND or whatever and distract the fans who would take up the chant, thus meaning that whatever story of the match was trying to be told would be lost in xenophobia (and homophobic bigotry, but I'm trying to be nice). New York Streetfighter is the artist formerly known as 'Ravishing' Rick Vain. And he's decent. Match turned into a complete mess when spots got forgotten and fucked up and repeated and argh it was worse than ECW in 1998 could have ever dreamed of being. Faces won with a modified Rocket Launcher (instead of it being a splash, it was a cross body), and Marty Jones then cut a speech that seemed heartfelt, including the sentence 'My wrestling career ends tonight.'. This of course means that if he retires around the loop, or continues to wrestle in non-Bristol venues, he's a FUCKING LIAR and deserves nobody's sympathy if he hurts himself in future.FIVE STAR FLASH/MIKEY WHIPLASHThe ring announcer fucked up the intros... Professionalism? What's that?This match RULED. Generic to start, but there was a great spot where Flash tied himself up in some kind of yoga position and couldn't get himself free... asked for Mikey to untangle him, and when he did, hooked him in a short-arm scissors. Heh heh heh. The 'normal wrestling match' atmosphere ended when Flash (accidentally as he's the face) hit Whiplash in the groin - he went to the corner and when Flash came over to check on him, went all :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: and attacked him. His face went red and everything. It was wonderful and I nearly ejaculated in my seat (unlike the paedophile at the other end of the hall, who probably was ejaculating while looking at the little boys wandering about). Whiplash then had Flash with a leg each side of the ringpost... and he slammed his leg into the post rather than doing the crotching spot, and I was all 'What a missed opportunity, fuckers'. But then the match segued into a great little 'kick the shit out of the injured leg' match, with added fire due to Whiplash's anger. See, heels doing heelish things for a reason is so much better than 'I'm not from here, I have my own customs, look at my crazy passport'... Great spot with Whiplash having Flash in a single leg Boston crab, and instead of the usual 'Ha crowd, I have him now' stuff, was screaming 'GIVE UP, GIVE UP NOW~!'. You really believed he wanted to win via submission in order to get revenge for the ballshot. Also: Flash's selling was absolutely wonderful. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked to his car or to the pub or the gay bar (ha~) or wherever he went with the limp... and he got the fluke victory, and limped to the back with his broken leg. This match~~~~~~~~.Interval - The news is here to cover All Star's inorexable decline, and interviews the crazy woman, and Paedo's mate. This, accompanied by Spiderman footage, will really increase the public perception of wrestling when it's on the local news. Or not... Also: lager is nice. Cider isn't, but Seph was the idiot who had to drink it, so I don't care :)Post interval raffley stuff: Seph's mam wins a clock, Dixon's granddaughter wins again, and a small boy gets some pyro because it's his birthday. Yay! When they called the kid into the ring, I got really worried - I thought he was Paedo's Xmas present from Dixon...MAIN EVENT - PHIL POWERS/FRANKIE SLOAN/YOUNG ADONISAs this was the match immediately after the interval, this was the main event, if your name is Chad Mayne and you have trouble dressing yourself in the morning. This threeway was 'two wrestlers in the ring, one on the outside who anyone can tag' rules. Young Adonis looks nothing like an Adonis. Frankie Sloan looks exactly like Robbie Brookside, (except slightly less like a tramp), and Phil Powers looks exactly the same as he always does. In a nutshell, Powers can't work at all as far as physicality goes but has a GREAT loudmouthed Essex cunt character which rules. Sloan has no character at all except residual Relic heat, but works like a demon (he has the best kicks/stomps I've seen for a while) and is about ten times the wrestler Relic is, and Adonis can take a mean bump. This match was pretty bleh, but GREAT GREAT FINISH - Powers had Adonis in a Boston (or single leg boston, I forget), Adonis crawled to the ropes and tagged Sloan, Powers released the hold and celebrated as he thought he'd won, and Sloan rolled up Powers for the win. Fantastic finish.JONNY STORM/DOUG WILLIAMSYou. Jonny Storm. Your new tights are the WORST THINGS EVER. Except for those green ones you had a few years back that made you look like an X-Pac tribute.These two were a cut above everyone else on the card - well, they are Storm and Doug, after all. Doug looked a little smaller than last time I'd seen him, but to be fair he's been in Japan where food etc is stupidly expensive for the last few weeks. And Storm still has the shaven head... If Whizzkid can get in sly digs, I can too - 'these wrestlers working all over the world and for companies that bring over really good workers and don't require them to stall for half their match have enabled them to become a lot better than they otherwise would be'. There. Doug was all 'arrogant bastard champion' at the start, controlling with matwork, but then Jonny reversed something into a facebuster to show him up. This angered Doug, who then made a series of mistakes (in kayfabe sense) to enable Jonny to gain the upper hand for a bit. Doug hit the Bomb Scare at some point for a nearfall. Jonny eventually hit the Rewind Rana (perfectly) for a super close nearfall. Doug went for the Revolution DDT, it was countered into another Rewind Rana attempt, but Doug reversed it into a release elevated powerbomb. Or, for those of you who need brandnames, a Last Ride into an Awesomebomb. Holy shit *indeed*. Seph's covered all the nutty spots. Some rollups ensued, and Jonny managed to hold Doug's shoulders down and win a nonexistant belt. That's two nonexistant belts he holds now... his invisible mantlepiece must be close to collapsing.So, the workers made the show. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while - the combinations of workers picked out of the Random Matchup Hat came good, and this made for an entertaining show. My usual maxim bears repeating here: if All Star put on a good show, it's all down to the workers, not the promotion. Well done to pretty much everyone, but especially Mikey Whiplash who I really need to see more of. And it would be pretty awesome if Relic died tomorrow and Frankie Sloan took all his bookings - as most of the fans won't know the difference as they look so similar, and the ones that do will prefer Sloan as he actually tries.Also, in Febuary, the new venue will have:GangrelLunaa Tatanka tributeChris Hero'Seven Foot Texan Monster' (Brody Steele?)Sky Wagner Brown (either a misprint or a tribute :) )April HunterThese are all named on the arena specific flyer for the Whitchurch show... ten quid says that only about two of them (if that) make it...

He repeats everything he writes every time there is an All-Star topic on this forum, i.e. the crowd was dead throughout the show except for the main event, the crowd was made up by retarded people and a child molester,

How dare you. Usually, the crowd are dead for the main event...

Sounds like a decent show.

TRIBUTE COUNT - Spiderman. And 'Brooklyn Brawler' Julio Torres is now just Brooklyn Brawler

I don't see how you call call either of those a tribute. Which wrestler is Spiderman a tribute to? And The Brooklyn Brawler just shares a name, he doesn't dress or act or wrestle like the WWE Brooklyn Brawler. I'm sure it's no coinicidence that they share a name, but if you look around you'll find loads of wrestlers share names throughout the world.And Spiderman was definetly not Jonny Storm, I'll assure you that. The 7 Foot Texas Monster you refer to may be Tiger Steele, who has been an AllStar regular for years.

• Moderators

CANADIAN SINNER/SKULL MURPHY

Is that the same Canadian Sinner that had a red outfit with the maple leaf on?If so, I once saw him wrestle for the GB team against the US team. I guess Dixon still thinks of the Empire.

Which wrestler is Spiderman a tribute to?

In the same way that other tributes are taking other wrestler's names and/or personas without permission, All Star is taking the intellectual property of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and using it as a wrestling gimmick without permission. It's illegal and wrong.

I'm sure it's no coinicidence that they share a name, but if you look around you'll find loads of wrestlers share names throughout the world.

Yes. Like Sargeant Slaughter (another All Star regular). 'Brooklyn Brawler' Julio Torres is fine. Just billing him as 'Brooklyn Brawler' isn't. IMO.

The 7 Foot Texas Monster you refer to may be Tiger Steele, who has been an AllStar regular for years.

Aren't Tiger Steele and Brody Steele the same person, or am I getting confused?

Is that the same Canadian Sinner that had a red outfit with the maple leaf on?

Possibly - but this time he had yellow long tights with a spiderweb design thingy on. He did wild eyed crazy mannerisms and had a braided ponytail. And was decent.

I once saw him wrestle for the GB team against the US team. I guess Dixon still thinks of the Empire.

Oh, that's nothing - Dixon booked Chris Hero as part of an English team recently... glad there wasn't any British wrestlers around they could have used, or anything.